What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worth 8 weeks?

jonno_knights

Juniors
Newcastle Knights Toyota Cup prop Josh Ailaomai was tonight suspended for eight weeks by the NRL Judiciary after pleading guilty to a charge of ‘Contrary Conduct - Contact with Referee’.

http://www.nrl.com/judiciary-update...8-weeks/tabid/10874/newsid/62618/default.aspx

Here is the footage.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/League/...048641681?subcat=1225914677015&site=FoxSports

Being sent off, and a few weeks to let him know contact with the ref is not warranted would have been punishment enough IMO.

jc155776

Coach
Wow.

I was expecting a LOT more contact then that for 8 weeks.

Seems absurdly long for a stupid, idiotic shunt.

Send off and 2 weeks would be enough, maybe a small fine converted to club community service.

aqua_duck

Coach
If Josh Ailaomoi had intended to shoulder that softcock ref Josh would've sent him into row 34

God-King Dean

Immortal
lol, as if he didn't mean it. Look at when he got sent off - no protest at all.

Lucky he only got 8. You play a dangerous game when you give players a slap on the wrist for touching a ref.

Johns Magic

Referee
lol, as if he didn't mean it. Look at when he got sent off - no protest at all.

Lucky he only got 8. You play a dangerous game when you give players a slap on the wrist for touching a ref.

Agreed on all counts, anyone thinking it was unintentional is deluded.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Im not saying it was an accident. I know it was intentional. There is no disputing that, and obviously no dispute from the knights camp (as they would have the money to fight these kind of things now).

But Jeremy Smith (the halfback) only recieved 4 weeks for his push on Sean Hamstead, which IMO was worse then this. If Smith got 8+ weeks I'd have no problem.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200606/s1656380.htm

EDIT: Just realised that the severity of the bans can both be attributed to the refs statement. Sean Hamstead, said that he 'felt nothing' obviously feeling guilty for contributing to the events with a crucial error.

The NYC ref said Ailoamai had a 'raised elbow'. (which IMO is a little bit of an overreaction)

Had the NYC ref said it was a nudge, as it appears to be on the footage, I dont think Jash would have got a 2 month ban, and would have received something a little more suitable.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Im not saying it was an accident. I know it was intentional. There is no disputing that, and obviously no dispute from the knights camp (as they would have the money to fight these kind of things now).

But Jeremy Smith (the halfback) only recieved 4 weeks for his push on Sean Hamstead, which IMO was worse then this. If Smith got 8+ weeks I'd have no problem.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200606/s1656380.htm

EDIT: Just realised that the severity of the bans can both be attributed to the refs statement. Sean Hamstead, said that he 'felt nothing' obviously feeling guilty for contributing to the events with a crucial error.

The NYC ref said Ailoamai had a 'raised elbow'. (which IMO is a little bit of an overreaction)

Had the NYC ref said it was a nudge, as it appears to be on the footage, I dont think Jash would have got a 2 month ban, and would have received something a little more suitable.

One stupid sentence in the past doesn't mean the judiciary should continue to make stupid sentences.

Intentionally knocking ref, what a f**kwit, he should cop the 8 weeks and be thankful.

Iafeta

Referee
Seems a just punishment. You can't go barging into refs. Most of them are infuriarating but if we give anything less than 8 weeks for that we're kidding ourselves.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Lucky the silly prick wasnt banned for life. 8 weeks is disgracefully light.
Should have taken this as a chance to send a message, deliberate and direct aggressive contact with the referee can not ever be condoned... id have suspended him for the remainder of the year, minimum. Send a very clear message to every player at every age, do it and you'll face a langthy ban

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
When I read about it in the paper I thought "8 weeks? Wtf? He intentionally shouldered a ref, give him a season". After watching the footage, it wasn't that bad. 8 weeks seems fair.

Nugby

Juniors
Eight weeks seems fair. Deliberate like that he's lucky not to cop worse really, especially at that level where the Judiciary would be less likely to get criticised for going further to send a message to players.

LineBall

Juniors
He's lucky he only got 8 weeks. The dumb sh*t should also be told if he does that again, he can look forward to a life ban, and enjoy holding the Stop/Slow sign when working for the local council.

skeepe

Immortal
8 weeks is unbelievably light. Should have been 12 months IMO.

Deliberately attacking the referee, soft or not, is completely unacceptable.