What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would Perth ever produce talent?

Gobsmacked

Bench
There's no track record of significant talent coming out of Perth. With 2 AFL clubs, union , soccer, cricket, basketball..all in a small city of 2 million. With the most successful NRL team in Perth..would it produce any talent?
My guess is no.
Melbourne are about to overtake Sydney as the biggest city in Australia. They've had a professional and successful RL team for over 20 years and still don't produce talent. So that's a no from me

Colk

First Grade
There are really ridiculous things said on this forum sometimes.

Like just on cricket, it is not like WA didn’t produce arguably our greatest fast bowler of all time in Dennis Lillee, probably our most renowned swing bowler in Terry Alderman, one of our better keepers in Rod Marsh and some of our finest batsmen like Damien Martyn, Michael Hussey and Justin Langer. But no they haven’t produced anybody.

At least do some preliminary research before you write a post

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's no track record of significant talent coming out of Perth. With 2 AFL clubs, union , soccer, cricket, basketball..all in a small city of 2 million. With the most successful NRL team in Perth..would it produce any talent?
My guess is no.
Melbourne are about to overtake Sydney as the biggest city in Australia. They've had a professional and successful RL team for over 20 years and still don't produce talent. So that's a no from me
You haven’t been following the game long have you?

Nuke

Staff member
Considering the limited opportunities of our local players over the years, and the resources that are dwarfed by what's available in NSW & Qld, WA has done rather well.

Lee TeMaari
Curtis Rona
Waqa Blake
Jon Green
Matt Peterson
Daniel Holdsworth
Jordan Pereira
... are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head just now that made NRL having come through the WA system.

Plus...
Anneka Stephens
Shanice Parker
the Cherrington sisters
... in NRLW (which is only a few years old), and there will only be more in the coming years.

Not bad considering how neglected WA was for a long time, and also without a direct pathway to the top level. Compare that to Melbourne, who've had an NRL team for 23 years and produced -who?- from the Victorian system? Not many at all.

MugaB

Coach
My guess is no.
The problem isn't having a track record, its that they don't have a 1st grade side to filter up to, if they get one, im sure they will create a whole heap of talent, not just the handfuls that stem from there over the past decade... it will work, just need that start, my issue is that they aren't competitive now within their lower grades, so giving them a licence then hoping they come good within 5 years is a massive gamble.
The idea of the bears or whoever else, going over there as the brand and spearheading the club, would be the best solution to both growing the junior base into a competetive squad and keeping perth from not getting pumped week in week look out, but the smart folk here on this forum have blinkers on, and can only think of having their own brand and start a club from scratch thinking it would prosper... you need every head start you can in the league, coz the other teams aren't going to let you win or hand out any concessions...
I dont want this to fail, coz they go back ever if it turns into a basketcase

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bears will fail In WA.
we can get whatever the bears offer by partnering with a qrl cup,team. Tigers being the most obvious. Or of nrl wants to get very creative and serious in that part of the world, png.
with nine nrl clubs directly signing up jnr talent in Sydney. another mouth to feed there seems a pretty dumb idea.

Nuke

Staff member
The problem isn't having a track record, its that they don't have a 1st grade side to filter up to, if they get one, im sure they will create a whole heap of talent, not just the handfuls that stem from there over the past decade... it will work, just need that start, my issue is that they aren't competitive now within their lower grades, so giving them a licence then hoping they come good within 5 years is a massive gamble.
The idea of the bears or whoever else, going over there as the brand and spearheading the club, would be the best solution to both growing the junior base into a competetive squad and keeping perth from not getting pumped week in week look out, but the smart folk here on this forum have blinkers on, and can only think of having their own brand and start a club from scratch thinking it would prosper... you need every head start you can in the league, coz the other teams aren't going to let you win or hand out any concessions...
Presently, and for the best part of 10-15 years, the talented kids coming up through WA get to a point where they need to choose union or League. Same as over east, I know, but in WA, there's one that has a professional team to aspire to and one that doesn't. Unless the talented kid is 100% devoted to League because they love it, the vast majority of the time, they choose union because of that direct pathway. Which of the two codes can you see played at a professional level in your home city every few weeks, gaining attention of schoolkids, ect, and which one has maybe one game in town once a year most years?

Everyone knows League is the much better product. Even union knows it. How many rule changes do they make that just happen to be ones League had already introduced? They're making their game closer to ours all the time.

All WA needs is an NRL team to a) provide direct pathways to homegrown talent, b) give incentive for the kids chasing their dreams of being a professional sports star to choose / stay with League, and c) to gain the attention of the schoolkids for future generations. Given a choice between SuperRugby and NRL, most, rightly, would choose League given it's the superior product.

The situation around the Western Reds fluffed that first opportunity. The Reds would have been 28 years old next year and would be an ingrained part of the Perth lifestyle well before now.
When the Western Force got booted, that was the next window of opportunity to re-launch the NRL in WA. Loads of disgruntled Force supporters and union juniors would have jumped ship to League. That golden opportunity was also fluffed.

MugaB

Coach
Presently, and for the best part of 10-15 years, the talented kids coming up through WA get to a point where they need to choose union or League. Same as over east, I know, but in WA, there's one that has a professional team to aspire to and one that doesn't. Unless the talented kid is 100% devoted to League because they love it, the vast majority of the time, they choose union because of that direct pathway. Which of the two codes can you see played at a professional level in your home city every few weeks, gaining attention of schoolkids, ect, and which one has maybe one game in town once a year most years?

Everyone knows League is the much better product. Even union knows it. How many rule changes do they make that just happen to be ones League had already introduced? They're making their game closer to ours all the time.

All WA needs is an NRL team to a) provide direct pathways to homegrown talent, b) give incentive for the kids chasing their dreams of being a professional sports star to choose / stay with League, and c) to gain the attention of the schoolkids for future generations. Given a choice between SuperRugby and NRL, most, rightly, would choose League given it's the superior product.

The situation around the Western Reds fluffed that first opportunity. The Reds would have been 28 years old next year and would be an ingrained part of the Perth lifestyle well before now.
When the Western Force got booted, that was the next window of opportunity to re-launch the NRL in WA. Loads of disgruntled Force supporters and union juniors would have jumped ship to League. That golden opportunity was also fluffed.
All could be said for many areas that dont have a NRL team. But i get your point.. i agree perth needs an NRL team

MugaB

Coach
Bears will fail In WA.
we can get whatever the bears offer by partnering with a qrl cup,team. Tigers being the most obvious. Or of nrl wants to get very creative and serious in that part of the world, png.
with nine nrl clubs directly signing up jnr talent in Sydney. another mouth to feed there seems a pretty dumb idea.
It would only be up until, perth would filter into its own backyard for talent, to come out competetive, much like what the storm started when the reds/marniers/crushers all had players moved on

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Your living in the 70s. Players don't inspire to play for the club they're geographically aligned with. Ask AFL Red for further details.

docbrown

Coach
Agreed 100%.

That said Super Rugby is in its final death throes so there's a chance again to do it pretty soon.

mongoose

Coach
I don't agree with the OP but I think he makes a valid point about Victoria. Questions need to be asked about what is going on there. They have produced maybe 3 or 4 NRL players in 24 years.... Perhaps the NRL needs to offer some kind of special incentive to the Storm for every home grown junior they bring into the squad, if that's what it's going to take. It seems like they have no reason to invest heavily in local development because Melbourne is an appealing destination for a lot of players so it's easy for them to poach talent from other areas.
I have said on here before though - I doubt the NRL gives 2 shits about Rugby League in Victoria. As long as players are steadily coming out of NSW and QLD and Origin remains the highly profitable centrepiece it is then the NRL doesn't give a f**k about any other regions.

Canard

Immortal
I don't agree with the OP but I think he makes a valid point about Victoria. Questions need to be asked about what is going on there. They have produced maybe 3 or 4 NRL players in 24 years.... Perhaps the NRL needs to offer some kind of special incentive to the Storm for every home grown junior they bring into the squad, if that's what it's going to take. It seems like they have no reason to invest heavily in local development because Melbourne is an appealing destination for a lot of players so it's easy for them to poach talent from other areas.
I have said on here before though - I doubt the NRL gives 2 shits about Rugby League in Victoria. As long as players are steadily coming out of NSW and QLD and Origin remains the highly profitable centrepiece it is then the NRL doesn't give a f**k about any other regions.

How many QLders and NSW players have the Lions and Swans produced in the last 40 odd years I wonder?