What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would the Ranfurly Shield work for the NRL?

Diesel

Referee
Another off season what if thread...

As much as a mid-season knock out comp would be something different, SL in 1997 tried it with very mixed results and suspending the comp killed what little momentum it had.

NZ has the Ranfurly Shield where one team is challenged for it when they only play at home.

If there was a challenge for a trophy, preferably like the JJ Giltinan shield up for grabs ( or something else that has some history behind it) which might help draw interest to games, especially during Origin when the top clubs have so many players away and clubs could challenge the weaker clubs. This would be played over the entire season with some prize money at seasons end

Below is the almighty Wikipedia's link to the log o' wood

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranfurly_Shield

Johnnie Red

Juniors
It would give the clubs another reason to put out an alternative jersey.

Interesting concept however i feel there is already so much going on in the season (women in league, indigenous, heritage, rivalry) that this would just fade into the background.

Anything to gain more interest for club games at origin period is worth a look

I've always wanted a shield that starts with the Premiers, then gets taken by whoever beats them first. When that team loses next, the shield changes hands again etc.

Whoever holds it at the end of the year gets $25,000, or an amount donated to charity etc.

Diesel

Referee
For example in the 2014 season the Sharks they're down on their luck, get toweled up in 3 games where they didn't score a point, head to Brisbane to challenge the Broncos, who have had the shield for the past 6 weeks (argument sake) Sharks are down 22-0 at halftime but go on to win the game and the shield, Shark park sells out the following week (or whenever their next home game is).

When was the last time a team won all their home games? To have 12 challenges throught the season and win them all would be an achievement, as would it be the team coming last to bet a top 4 team that's holding the shield

As mentioned above $25k would be a good prize money but the prestige of winning the shield would give a lot of matches something extra

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Lots of trophies are in play now, that Noone cares about. I'm not sure just inventing another makes any impact at all.

Parra

Referee
Lots of trophies are in play now, that Noone cares about. I'm not sure just inventing another makes any impact at all.

Lots of pointless trophies. That is why no-one cares.

Ranfurly-type would be ongoing and not a "just between two clubs" dud.

Diesel

Referee
That's why I thought using one that isn't valued as much as it once was. I'm not sure if the JJ GILTINAN shield would be an option. I don't see the point creating a new trophy or shield but rather incorporate what we already have an make it relevant again

steggz

Juniors
Sydney Club rugby has the Roden Cutler Shield, where it carries over from season to season (doesn't start season with the premiers) and only is lost when the holders lose at home.

Something like that would be interesting

Diesel

Referee
Sydney Club rugby has the Roden Cutler Shield, where it carries over from season to season (doesn't start season with the premiers) and only is lost when the holders lose at home.

Something like that would be interesting

That sounds pretty similar to the Ranfurly Shield.

if it was to happen in the NRL, the premiers would start off as holders for the first time but it wouldn't be awarded to the premier each year.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
For example in the 2014 season the Sharks they're down on their luck, get toweled up in 3 games where they didn't score a point, head to Brisbane to challenge the Broncos, who have had the shield for the past 6 weeks (argument sake) Sharks are down 22-0 at halftime but go on to win the game and the shield, Shark park sells out the following week (or whenever their next home game is).

When was the last time a team won all their home games? To have 12 challenges throught the season and win them all would be an achievement, as would it be the team coming last to bet a top 4 team that's holding the shield

As mentioned above $25k would be a good prize money but the prestige of winning the shield would give a lot of matches something extra

Why should the team coming last get a chance to win a shield? Is it like school these days where everyone gets an award?

Canard

Immortal
Why should the team coming last get a chance to win a shield? Is it like school these days where everyone gets an award?

And that's why Noone would give a shit about it. Because it's a gimmick with no prestige.

At club level, the premiership is all that counts. The charity shield, 9's, and even the minor premiership are all fluff.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Just about every shield/trophy that "has prestige" originally started as a gimmick or something with no prestige.

But yeah, we should never do anything other than the status quo, that's the way forward.

As for the idea itself, I wouldn't mind it. I don't think every home game should defend it, 8 challenges a year would be enough so a team has to win two thirds to defend for the year and this also allows for certain fixtures to be avoided such as Origin affected.

Canard

Immortal
J
As for the idea itself, I wouldn't mind it. I don't think every home game should defend it, 8 challenges a year would be enough so a team has to win two thirds to defend for the year and this also allows for certain fixtures to be avoided such as Origin affected.

Im not saying "maintain status quo" but do you seriously think people would give a shit about winning a shield that you only have to "challenge" for.

Would Sharks fans go, well we finished last but f**k me we won the Ranfurly Sheild, what a great year??

It works in park Rugby because it is amateur and this is literally ALL they play for.

unforgiven

Bench
It is already a market that you can gamble on, so it obviously holds some interest for Rugby League fans. I think it is possibly something we could develop into something, it is something that a club may only get a chance to challenge for every couple of years so that that it is rare could make it something interesting.

Canard

Immortal
It is already a market that you can gamble on, so it obviously holds some interest for Rugby League fans. I think it is possibly something we could develop into something, it is something that a club may only get a chance to challenge for every couple of years so that that it is rare could make it something interesting.

Once we start talking about doing something because of gambling, you've lost me.

Like I said it works at park level, because back in the day this was the pinnacle of the sport (not so much anymore).

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Im not saying "maintain status quo" but do you seriously think people would give a shit about winning a shield that you only have to "challenge" for.

Would Sharks fans go, well we finished last but f**k me we won the Ranfurly Sheild, what a great year??

It works in park Rugby because it is amateur and this is literally ALL they play for.

No they wouldn't say that, but nice exaggeration to try and weight your point.

Do Souths/Dragons team/fans enjoy winning the charity shield? Of course they do. Did teams/fans enjoy winning pre season cups when they existed? Of course they did. Did the Cowboys team/fans enjoy winning the Nines? Of course they did.

To dismiss something just because it doesn't match up with the pinnacle of the season doesn't mean it has no value. The idea of the Shield is that quite often teams go 3+ seasons without even getting a challenge. That's what makes it more special over time.

The premiership will always be the most important thing, but that doesn't mean ideas like this couldn't add to the subplots and rivalries that evolve throughout the season.

If marketing/promotion got behind the idea fans would adopt it and eventually embrace it. We're talking 8 games a year where a little extra is in the line. No harm could come from it.