What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you like to see Licensing return to Super League

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I have always been of the opinion the RFL made a big mistake ditching licensing. I think Rugby League in England needs a strong Super League woth clubs that can take it forward not hold it back. Promotion and Relegation while tradition hurts Super League in my opinion and does far more damage than it does good. What are your opinions on it? Would you like to see it back, or are happy with promotion and relegation?

langpark

First Grade
I am a massive fan of P&R though I have argued it should be done over 2-year cycles.

UK was made for P&R (made up of many smaller towns) while NRL was made for licensing 5 cities over 1 million population then a massive drop off after that.

adamkungl

Immortal
No.

But I hope the Toronto experiment sees similar ideas come up in other big cities, with the cream rising, so to speak.

We need Super League expansion to Toulouse and Toronto ASAP, with Montreal and Avignon to follow. Only licensing can expedite such expansion.

langpark

First Grade
We need Super League expansion to Toulouse and Toronto ASAP, with Montreal and Avignon to follow. Only licensing can expedite such expansion.
That's simply not true! Both Toulouse and Toronto and well on track to reach Super League soon the way they are going! And believe me, it will be a thousand times more satisfying when the PLAYERS get them to Super League, and not some blokes in a boardroom.

That's simply not true! Both Toulouse and Toronto and well on track to reach Super League soon the way they are going! And believe me, it will be a thousand times more satisfying when the PLAYERS get them to Super League, and not some blokes in a boardroom.

Toulouse may not promoted this year or next year. That will be a tragedy, since the promotion of Toulouse is a necessary condition for the growth of rugby league in France (players, fans and sponsors), and the strengthening of the French national team.

langpark

First Grade
I disagree, if they get promoted too fast they will be forced to bring in imports to raise their standard, so what you say about the national team is way off.

I think they are doing well and are on the right track, whether it's 1, 2 or 3 more seasons til they make it, the important thing is that when they do get there, they remain there long-term. That is more important than how soon it is.

Just let nature take its course! :)

Pommy

Coach
It will be interesting to see what impact Brexit has on player movements.
At the moment there is obviously no bar for English players with them just being able to go to France and play. Perhaps in the future with the need for working visas there will be incentive to develop players rather than employing average imports.

deluded pom?

Coach
It will be interesting to see what impact Brexit has on player movements.
At the moment there is obviously no bar for English players with them just being able to go to France and play. Perhaps in the future with the need for working visas there will be incentive to develop players rather than employing average imports.

It will probably be like soccer is when a EPL team sign non EU players i.e. The player will have to be of a certain standard (X number of first grade games/played internationally in the preceding three years etc.) before being granted a work permit.