What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WT’s Pathways

Tigerm

First Grade

Jersey Flegg Cup: Kick-off 11:30am

Wests Tigers vs Canberra Raiders

1 Marcus Tanner

2 Keenan Tempest

3 Trey Peni

4 Sione Vaihu

5 Jay Kirk

6 Aston Pollard

7 Jake Christian

8 Jackson Owen

9 Jacob Anjoul

10 Herman Tofaeono

11 Finley Neilsen

12 Lomi Saukuru

13 Cayne Nicholas ©

14 Lachlan Woodger

15 Bailey Hodges

16 John Tuipolotu

17 Cody Kelso

18 Leo Nasio

19 Isaak Nasio

20 Joseph Della

21 Harry Henson

22 Crompton Fuatimau

23 Naati Teaupa

24 Tristyn Ball

25 Noah Ryan

Coach: Scott Kenna

wt2022_team-lists_koe_web.jpg

NSW Cup: Kick-off 1:00pm

Western Suburbs Magpies vs Canberra Raiders

1 Jahream Bula

2 Jordan Hill

3 Livai Saukuru

4 Semisi Kioa

5 Liam Scolari

6 Triston Reilly

7 Zane Camroux

8 James Romanous

9 Rua Ngatikaura

10 Sione Fainu

11 Kitione Kautoga

12 Jack Boyling

13 Aden Perry

14 Bruce Ward

15 Christian Ma’anaima

16 James Valevatu

17 Ben Houston

18 Liam Harris

19 Israel Ogden

20. Kam Cryer

21. Will Saunders

22. Kade Hill

23. Eparama Navale

24. Johyn Tuivati

Coach: Wayne Lambkin

Vic Mackey

Referee
I really really rate both kids. Both work horses, although i was dissapointed that both had poorer games on Saturday. Denzel made a few errors and Kohan went away from what works for him. Last week against Manly he was getting whacked but would always get on his feet before the markers to get that play the ball in, yet against the Dragons he was trying of offload in tackles. Both are tough boys to. Last season in a club game Kohan broke his wrist early in the 1st half of a game but played the whole game. In the middle of the ruck to.

100% mate
Chase Hepi is a huge inclusion. Agile prop who gets mega post contact metres. So he should get the ruck going properly

Hey mate you seem to have a great eye for the wests juniors. What are your thoughts on Lachlan Galvin? Had moved to 5/8 in ball but to me looks like a ball playing edge is his best spot where he played for Matts. Where do see him long term?

Also from my understanding the club has the following signed up to multi year deals:

Tallyn Da Silva
Kit + Luke Lauilili
Jordan Miller
William Craig

Is there anyone else that you are aware of?

Perth Tiger

Bench
There is hardly any familiar names in that Flegg team. Are there any potential first graders there or is all the talent loaded in the Ball and Matts teams?

From the looks of the NSW cup team it seems that some of them are Flegg players that are playing up like Bula.

Hey mate you seem to have a great eye for the wests juniors. What are your thoughts on Lachlan Galvin? Had moved to 5/8 in ball but to me looks like a ball playing edge is his best spot where he played for Matts. Where do see him long term?

Also from my understanding the club has the following signed up to multi year deals:

Tallyn Da Silva
Kit + Luke Lauilili
Jordan Miller
William Craig

Is there anyone else that you are aware of?

Hey Mate

Yeah i was a bit suprised when i watched a trial Galvin was running around in the halves. But after watching the 1st 2 games i reckon hes just taken a link role on the left side which is just lethal for the Magpies. Plus there are some good 2nd rowers in the SG squad so they might be just getting him up on his playmaking skills then be in the back row in 2024.

From my understanding the players you mentioned are all on long term deals with Tallyn, Kit and Jordon from your list on train and trial deals.
That means they are a higher grade of Contract than the others and its more money. So you wont see these kids working a "normal" job while on those deals. Its strictly footy from now on. As far as im aware theres a couple of others in the SG Ball squad on train and trial deals. The 2 kids they bought down from QLD

Metuisela Taungatua
Christopher Faagutu (Played in the 1st grade trial last week)

And also Solomone Saukuru is on a train and trial as well.

A few others plus some from Harold Matts are on smaller contracts which is basically no money but coverage for Physio and Xrays etc

Hope this helps

stryker

First Grade
Andrew Johns Cup - Macarthur Wests Tigers won 30-12
Harold Mathew’s Cup - Balmain won 46-22
Harold Mathew’s Cup - Western Suburbs won 32-12
Laurie Daley Cup - Macarthur Wests Tigers won 42-18
SG Ball Cup - Balmain won 16-12
SG Ball Cup - Western Suburbs won 50-4

Very good day for the club’s junior pathways.

There is hardly any familiar names in that Flegg team. Are there any potential first graders there or is all the talent loaded in the Ball and Matts teams?

From the looks of the NSW cup team it seems that some of them are Flegg players that are playing up like Bula.

There is definatly talent loaded up in SG and Matts, but a lot of these players in the Flegg squad are not known for a couple of reasons.

1. The Rep season in 2020 was ruined cos of Covid. Then the 2021 club season stopped half way through due to Covid again so these players missed out on a Rep Season and vital preperation.

2. There is now more media coverage than there has ever been with Junior footy. We have live streams every week and its heavily promoted. These kids are known through out the League community now.

3. Wests have heavily invested in the Magpies District in the last few years by keeping the local kids local. With that other good kids will follow and play with their mates in the District. That makes the Dostrict stronger in club footy which inturn produces good players for Rep teams.

The Golden period is now for Wests in the Juniors. The fruits from this will strengthen the 1st Grade squad in a few years.

Perth Tiger

Bench
There is definatly talent loaded up in SG and Matts, but a lot of these players in the Flegg squad are not known for a couple of reasons.

1. The Rep season in 2020 was ruined cos of Covid. Then the 2021 club season stopped half way through due to Covid again so these players missed out on a Rep Season and vital preperation.

2. There is now more media coverage than there has ever been with Junior footy. We have live streams every week and its heavily promoted. These kids are known through out the League community now.

3. Wests have heavily invested in the Magpies District in the last few years by keeping the local kids local. With that other good kids will follow and play with their mates in the District. That makes the Dostrict stronger in club footy which inturn produces good players for Rep teams.

The Golden period is now for Wests in the Juniors. The fruits from this will strengthen the 1st Grade squad in a few years.
Thanks mate. Really appreciate your contributions

Vic Mackey

Referee
Big games for wests sides against the Raiders today. Matt’s and Ball are undefeated from both teams and there’s a real rivalry after Wests knocked out Canberra in the Matt’s Prelim last year in extra time. Unfortunately not streamed and being played in Canberra.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Anyone get to Camden today to watch???
Didnt get there and wasnt streamed. It seems Souths have taken a different approach to most teams and have held their gun ball players out of this years comp, instead playing them purley in Flegg/Nsw Cup.

TBF I believe most of them are 19 so they probably dont feel theres any more benefit to them in this grade, whereas Wests Ball players are still 17/18.

stryker

First Grade
Big games for wests sides against the Raiders today. Matt’s and Ball are undefeated from both teams and there’s a real rivalry after Wests knocked out Canberra in the Matt’s Prelim last year in extra time. Unfortunately not streamed and being played in Canberra.
I went.
We got bashed in both games.
Young fellas tried hard but were no match for these gun Raiders junior sides.
28-14 loss in Matt’s that was a real lesson in footy.
40-12 loss in Ball where we were totally outclassed.
I watched Tarsha Gale as well….they were putrid, 40 odd to 4.
Bad trip south for the club.

stryker

First Grade
There is definatly talent loaded up in SG and Matts
There is, but they were all taught a real lesson in Canberra today, with few being able to cope. They are 3-4 years away from helping first grade.
More than a few years.
I always rail against talking up juniors as they aren’t playing against men, therefore their rating is skewed.
I watched them in Canberra today and was unimpressed with both grades. Out of both grades, I can see DaSilva making it currently. The rest have A LOT of work still to do. Tallyn looks, acts and talks the part. A full apprenticeship under Api and he’ll be right to go.
The rest…Laulilii brothers, Large, Miller, Fa’agatu, the halves…they were all bested by their opposites today.

Could be a tough week for Magpies SG Ball and Harold Matts this week.
Not only did they both get dusted by the Raiders last week, they both play pretty good Panther sides this week.
Add on to that quite a few from Wests are trialling tomorrow for the Sydney South West team which goes on to compete in the tournament against 3 other Sydney sides and at the end of that the NSW Secondary Schools side gets picked. Thats a pretty tough team to make as well.
Could be a few sore bodies lining up against the Panthers this week

stryker

First Grade

Pretty ordinary results so far this weekend, are we kidding ourselves about our young talent coming through?
Maybe not kidding ourselves, but the quality of our juniors is mostly on par with that of other clubs, with a few exceptions.
It is also being understated how much work is still required to get them to top grade and the length of time required to do so.
Lets see how Flegg and KOE Cup go today.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Pretty ordinary results so far this weekend, are we kidding ourselves about our young talent coming through?

I don’t think anyone expects Balmain to do much. They have like 3 or 4 players across both grades who might go further. Conti (Matt’s) and Feledy, Sukkar (Ball) seem to be the only ones the club rate.

Wests will have an up and down year as 80% of both squads are in their first year. Next year will be a true indication for them. Ball had a great win against a previously undefeated Panthers team on Saturday.

Latest posts