What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF happened in the rowing?

Rise Against

One of the girls from the 8 team just gave up? she said that she couldnt row anymore? Id be shattered!! imagine of ur team mates just laying in the boat literaly 500-1000 m out of a medal and just giving up? i wonder wat really happened

CycloneSteve

Juniors
I dunno but there is a HUGE barney over it. One of her team mates made the comment that there was 9 people in the boat and 8 of them were giving it 100%. She was filthy.....expect to hear more of this....

Bomber

Bench
Channel Seven are reporting that she fainted, then dropped her oar in the water.

Drink more water lovey :?

Bomber

Bench
Anger over white flag
August 22, 2004

0,3600,372701,00.jpg

THE Australian women's eight bid for Olympic gold ended in tears today when a crew member stopped rowing before the finish.

Team officials said coach Harald Jarhling was furious after Sally Robbins lay back with a quarter of the race to go and dropped her oar about 100m from the finish line.

The crew were third at the 1000 metre mark but dropped back to fifth by 1500, crossing the line almost 10 seconds after the fifth place-getters, Germany.

Robbins was exhausted, not ill or injured, and an Australian official quoted Jarhling as saying he had not seen anything like it in his 35-year coaching career.

She had to be helped from the boat.

"I just rowed my guts out in the first 1500 and didn't have anything left and that's all I could have done for today," Robbins said.

"I did whatever I could and my best was what I put out there today and I plan to keep rowing.

"This experience only makes me stronger."

Robbins said she had not had a chance to talk to her crew mates but she was sure they would be supportive.

"I will just say (to them) that I did everything I could. This is what I could do today and I put 110 per cent in, and that's what everyone does."

The crew member next to Robbins, Julia Wilson, was encouraging her to sit back up.

"She was supporting me, she was saying 'Come on Sal, this is us' and all I was thinking is I can do it and that's what I did and just had nothing left," Robbins said.

Team mate Jodi Winter said the crew members were disappointed at not being able to finish their race.

"We had an awesome race in the first half, the first 1250 but missed the end so it was really disappointing," she said.

"We couldn't finish the race, there was exhaustion in the boat."

The crew would meet when everyone had calmed down and the emotions were gone, Winter said.

Team manager Wayne Diplock said Robbins was affected by a combination of mental and physical exhaustion.

"If one rower gets exhausted a few hundred metres out there's not a lot you can do," he said.

"As you can imagine the girls are all very upset in terms of not being able to finish their race off .. they're all a bit distraught at the moment."

Diplock said there was nothing medically wrong with Robbins.

"It's not necessarily giving up, that's for sure, you push your body to the limit and sometimes the limit comes a little bit too early," he said.

One team official said the crew, which scraped into the final after finishing fourth in the repechage, was not a realistic chance of a medal.

AAP

NPK

Bench
Australia...

Hmm...the commentators said that it looked like something in the boat broke and she couldn't row anymore..

I wonder if the truth will come out..

CycloneSteve

Juniors
The girl that talked about the 8 people giving 100% also said this "I want to make it perfectly clear that nothing went wrong with the boat, no seat broke, no mechanical failure"

I feel for the girl who was exhausted though. If your body cant give any more, than thats it, there is no more. Its not like you can tell it to keep going. It shuts down for a reason and that is to protect itself from major major injury.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Booyah thats not cool......read what I said about the body shutting down....its ok for some people to say "Bah suck it up ya cow!!" but if the body was to allow you to continue, you would die. Simple as that. Your body would have no energy for the heart to beat.

Just on a side note.....good god in heaven!!!! Who is this Aussie chick in the basketball with HUGE knockers.....sorry but she's gunna have someones eye out with those things!!!!!

CycloneSteve

Juniors
OK its No.8 Suzy Batkovic.....not much to look at.....but geeez you could iron your shirt on the chests of the other Aussie girls.....how did this bird get in the team???

EDIT **CRIPES!!! Here's another one!!!! No.13 Porter. Is this an Aussie plan to bring out the big guns (so to speak :lol: ) when they are in front to intimidate the opposition?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If you've ever "hit the wall" in any sporting event. you'll know what the poor girl has gone through.

If your body shuts down, there's othing you can do about it.

I also feel sorry for the other girls, who must have been very dissapointed, but reacted in the heat of the moment.

Its history now

ozbash

Referee
yep, just like the kiwi girls capsize. :D

difference is of course,, our girls had a go.

Wests is Best

Juniors
If the other 8 girls don't support the girl who hit the wall, but rather alienate her (which appears to be the case), then it was not much of a team to begin with.
It happens in all sports. In Rugby League an exhausted player would be replaced, you would see him again next week and there would be no drama, but because she is a rower and cant be replaced during a race, she is considered a failure. Thats not fair.
I hope the media don't blow this into a bigger thing than it should be.

PB

Bench
Twizzle said:
If you've ever "hit the wall" in any sporting event. you'll know what the poor girl has gone through.

If your body shuts down, there's othing you can do about it.

I also feel sorry for the other girls, who must have been very dissapointed, but reacted in the heat of the moment.

Its history now

I don't know how long after the race it was, but when she was infront of the media, she didnt look like someone who had given her all. You would expect someone who just couldnt go on in an Olympic final, to be in a First aid tent on a drip or something, but she seemed fine.

But apparently, as she spoke to the media, some of the other girls from the Womens 8 walked past and yelled out "Why don't you tell them what really happened". A few people are suggesting that she was out "doing what athletes love to do in the Village" the night before and it affected her preperation......

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
She gave her all she went out too hard for the 1500m and just gave up thats all she could give. I feel sorry for her and the rest of the members because they were in a position to get a medal but you can hardly blame her if thats all she can give, she cant give any more than 100%.