What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF happened in the rowing?

hotsnow

Juniors
They just had an interview with some woman on a current affair. Apparently this happened before in 2002 and they gave Sally a second chance. I think that's why the rest of the team are spewin'.

Glenn

First Grade
If your body shuts down there is nothing that can be doen, as for the other woman there. If she had collapsed and was taken to hospital or worse would they be so heartless. Sometimes the welfare of a person comes above and beyond everything else

lotm

Juniors
to be honest, i believed her before her interview on seven. several times during the interview, the interviewer asked her questions it seemed she didn't really know the answers to and just answered in a fashion that reflected badly on her teammates. the one that stood out for me was when she was asked whether her teammates threatened to throw her out of the boat after the race. she sat there, unresponsive, for quite a while, before giving the affirmative.

don't get me wrong ... if she was genuinely exhausted into paralysis, her teammates' behaviour was unacceptable.

regardless, she's beginning to smell fishy to me.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
She was asked had some of her teammates turned on her and she said yes emotionally. Thats so slack to the poor girl.

Craig

Juniors
If her body just shut down and she could not pysically row and had no engery left (called bonking - a cycling term) then there should be no problem, if she just gave up, then...

Booyah

Bench
I called her selfish because of what she did. She dropped her bloody oars and cost the 8 other women who have shed god knows how many blood sweat and tears since Sydney just to make it, and her one act of stupidity because she was buggered has ruined it for them.

They may never ever get another chance to repeat their feat.

Was there any reason apart from sheer exhaustion why she was unable to hold her oars up?

Her team mates are furious with her, and rightfully so.

mrbishi

Juniors
this is the 2nd time she has done it apperantly, the world championships she did it, so maybe once is fair enough but twice :?

Raider_69

Post Whore
exhaustion? twice now?
teach the stupid cow how to pace herself...
she ruined the dreams of 8 of her team mates and we should feel sorry for her?
i feel sorry for the 8 that slogged their guts out, they were all feeling the pinch but they pushed on for the sake of their team

NPK

Bench
(some of) The other women in that race were so bitchy about it..unbelievable.

If she is known to have a problem, why was she still picked on the team??
The selectors surely should cop some of the blame.

Raider_69

Post Whore
NPK said:

very valid point
the other girls must be filthy on the selectors

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
NPK said:
(some of) The other women in that race were so bitchy about it..unbelievable.

Exactly, and that's who they should have taken their frustrations out on, not her. If she was selected, it was because they considered she was the best that the selectors thought they had available. They gave her the opportunity, and she probably tried her best, but unfortunately came up short. Its not for her team-mates to publicly criticise and ostracise her because her best wasnt good enough on the day.
If they thought that she shouldn't have been on the team then they shod blame the selectors, not her. What did they expect her to do, pull out of the team before the race?

I've spend most of this games in admiration and even a little bit of envy of Australia as a sporting nation, but this episode makes me glad for once that I'm not Australian. Winning is NOT everything, if sport cannot be conducted with a degree of grace in defeat and support for your mates then it isn't worth it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
Roy and HG had a very good take on it
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can't argue there! (although they managed the whole thing without even referring directly to the rowing!)

Suzie

Juniors
Found this today ... I don't know what to think about this incident - if she really was exhausted and couldn't row anymore, then fair enough, but if it's a regular occurence, then I can understand the other girls being p*d off and I think the selectors need to come up with an explanation.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=14989

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you guys have either lost the plot, or have not read the facts.

1) If she is unconsious, how can she row ?

2) She is not a team selector

You make it sound like she did it on purpose.

Bomber

Bench
Rower 'threatened' during race
August 24, 2004
By Rupert Guinness

THE rower at the centre of the no-row scandal last night told how she was threatened by her teammates.

0,3600,373134,00.jpg

Controversial ... Robbins collapses during the race / Colleen Petch

"I had some pretty hard words thrown at me. I had some pretty tough things to take. I haven't really experienced anything like that before," Sally Robbins said.

She said one furious teammate threatened to throw her overboard. "I didn't say anything because I didn't know what to say. I was stunned myself," she said.

Her controversial capitulation 600m from the finishing line has split the country and experts alike. The Daily Telegraph has also learned that she has done the same thing before - two years ago at the world championships in Spain.

Then, Robbins was in the Australian women's quad scull that led the final when she imploded and the crew came in fourth.

Criticism was led last night by former Olympic silver medallist rower Rachael Taylor.

"What happened on Sunday and previously in 2002 is no different that one of our Australian swimmers stopping swimming mid race in their Olympic relay final," she said.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Sally Robbins quitting on Sunday was a repeat of complete mental weakness, not physical exhaustion."

"They were leading the race [in Spain], as close to having it in the bag as you could get with 500m to go Sally did a similar thing ... stopped rowing."

Yesterday, amid shocking scenes, Robbins was barracked by her teammates as she headed off for interviews. Catcalls could be heard including: "Tell the truth Sally, don't lie." (Team in hot water)

Robbins was supported by Rowing Australia president Pat McNamara and another Olympic rowing medallist Peter Murphy.

"It's unfair to dump on her. I'd just ask that Australians try and understand what she may be going through," Mr McNamara said.

He also raised speculation that other heads may roll.

"One of the coaches told me that people knew she was a girl that had to be managed.

"People including the coach [Haral Jahrling] put her in the six seat because she's the strongest girl in the crew knowing that [history].

"If you want to give a crew instructions to burst every bloody artery and go for it and you have someone in a critical seat position, there's a risk."

After the incident in Spain, Robbins received counselling. She will undergo more when she returns from Athens to her Perth home.

Talking to Channel 9 last night, Ms Taylor added: "Sally did put in some dodgy strokes.

"The three girls in that race were absolutely gutted. It is devastating it has happened again.

"Those girls over there [in Athens] are not nasty girls.

It is an absolute tragedy for everyone involved.

The Daily Telegraph

Bomber

Bench
Angry rowers in hot water
August 24, 2004

SALLY Robbins' teammates are expected to face disciplinary action for publicly voicing criticism of her failure to complete the women's eight final.

Among them is Julia Wilson, who Robbins collapsed into when she stopped rowing.

After the race, Wilson clearly laid the blame at Robbins' feet.

"We had nine in the boat [including the cox] but only eight were operating," she said.

"There was nothing wrong with the boat, nothing wrong with the other girls."

Wilson, of Sydney, may now be forced to apologise.

The Australian team's chef de mission John Coates was analysing a range of punishment measures for Wilson, a spokesman said last night.

Coates has backed Robbins' version - that she dropped her oar because of exhaustion, not because she choked.

"John is very mindful that [Robbins] is part of the team and we want her to enjoy the next week of the Games, going to other events, being involved with her team," Australian team media director Mike Tancred said.

"We would not expect anyone to be ostracised."

On accepting places in the Australian team, all 482 athletes signed documents prohibiting them from criticising teammates during the Games.

"The rowers will be reminded by their section manager and Julia will be spoken to in person by John that that is not the behaviour we expect in our team - Sally Robbins gave 100 per cent in that boat and it is not for team members to question her commitment, that is not what we are about as an Olympic team," Tancred said.

"We are mindful that athletes have worked blood, sweat and tears for four years to get to the Olympic Games and you can understand their disappointment at not performing at their best yesterday, but it is just not what the Olympic team is all about.

"You do not criticise mates, it is not the way you do it, it is not what we came here to achieve."

The Daily Telegraph

Very unaustralian of her.

She also managed to go through the heats and semi finals without 'collapsing' she also managed to get throught the heats and the semi finals in the world championships without collapsing. Both times she did it in the final.. She is stupid and a disgrace to australia.. We shouldnt feel sorry for this low human being because she turns on the water works..

These rowers train every day, she has done the race hundreds of times and has probably rowed further. She didnt get exhausted, her mind is just f**ked up.