What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wynnum - Manly Trial

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delayed response. I went down to the game with my dad and son. It was a great thing, 3 generations of Dragons supporters and I must say, the Dragons had the bigger support base too.

I've included a few words next to the players (from my point of view). When I haven't made a comment, it was to reserve comment for future. Didn't really see enough or they weren't given enough opportunity.

It appeared that The Dragons really just wanted to complete sets and blow out the cobwebs, which is really what trials are for.

I'd have to say, that I was surprised how well Wynnum -Manly played. Some real talent there and played as a team. I heard some locals saying that this was their best team. Score didn't really reflect the game. Wynnum-Manly were one pass away from scoring on 3 occasions. Slippery ball and pre season jitters.

The second half (10 mins in) saw the Cutters get their chance. It was a more open game and this would be expected, as Wynnum-manly were getting tired too.

Also wanted mention our depth... how good is it to have some!!!!

1. Adam Quinlan - Great positional play and support. Was in and around the ruck, wanted the ball.
2. Jason Nightingale - Was Jason Nightingale.
3. Peter Mata’utia - Silky touches and showed class.
4. Taane Milne- Limited opportunities But looks the goods.
5. Izaac Thompson (NYC) Limited opportunities
6. Gareth Widdop (c) Was Gareth Widdop
7. Shaun Nona (Illawarra Cutters) Did his job. Had limited time to prepare
8. Leeson Ah Mau - Wow, looking good for the season, proved a real handful with every touch.
9. Siliva Havili- Solid effort. Not sure if he'll push Rein out at this stage though?
10. Russell Packer - Strong in defence and attracted plenty of attention in attack. Looking real positive for the season
11. Will Matthews - Solid defender, looked to be carrying a shoulder injury?
12. Joel Thompson - Hamstring held up. Did his job, good talk. Solid
13. Ben Creagh - As always, solid.
14. Hame Sele (NYC) -
15. Tom Carr - Quick, took a couple of hits no worries, big frame, this kid will be our future winger
16. Luciano Leilua (NYC)
17. Blake Wallace (Illawarra Cutters) - Surprise of the night for me. Why have we not been talking about this bloke??? He can run, step and kick. Looks the goods to me.
18. Chris Lewis (Illawarra Cutters)
19. Corey Brown (Illawarra Cutters)
20. Sam Coster (Illawarra Cutters)
21. Damien Sironen (Illawarra Cutters)
22. Shannon Wakeman (Illawarra Cutters) Does his job and injects himself in bursts, good break 9see footage on website) Could be a good bench option?
23. Patrick Herbert (NYC)
24. Eric Newbigging (Illawarra Cutters)

Apologies to the Cutters players I haven't commented on.

Russell Packer came over to the fence after the post match photo was taken (the only player to do so). My son went running over, said hello, got a high 5 from him and now has a new favourite player.

Looking forward to the season!!! All the best Dragons supporters!!!

Mr Red

First Grade
Rein was useless in the 9s.

although i am not a fan of Rein, i dont see how his 9's form has any bearing?
i feel a bit sorry for him actually - there is no way in hell he should have been selected for nines..McCrone should have been the dummy half for the 9's..

The Nick

Bench
i feel a bit sorry for him actually - there is no way in hell he should have been selected for nines..McCrone should have been the dummy half for the 9's..

Mate I would let it go, this bloke bags Rein every chance he gets even if the thread has nothing to do with him.

RedVDragon is in Dino, OV and grouch's class of pointlessly repetitive posters.

bottle

Coach

It doesn't, but that doesn't matter in this case.
Personal vendetta in play.

V

Vasilevsky

At the risk of having BrissyRedV and some other homies flip out on me, could I ask what the following means?

6. Gareth Widdop (c) Was Gareth Widdop

Any line breaks, line break assists or try assists? Long kicking game was good?

Wallace has been talked about Haran was the one who convinced him to come back to the Illawarra in the first place.

Why on earth the club went out and signed Keating and Henry last year and now McCrone this year is a bit hard to understand.

The same can be said of Nona i find it odd he has bobbed up at the Cutters when its no certainty he will play week in week out and not shuffled off to the Illawarra comp.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
At the risk of having BrissyRedV and some other homies flip out on me, could I ask what the following means?

I may be wrong but I take it to mean he was composed with a good short kicking game and controlled the left side of the field well.

V

Vasilevsky

I may be wrong but I take it to mean he was composed with a good short kicking game and controlled the left side of the field well.

I see. In this context I'm not sure what composed really means. If possible please enlighten me. Were many tries scored on the left side? Has Widdop's long kicking game improved or has it been decided he will no longer be responsible? In which case, given Rein's lack of kicking ability, I presume Dugan will be helping Benji. Can Mann kick long?

duck

Juniors
Thanks Mr Jarvis for the review. Have now heard many similar stories re Packer.
First few seconds of the highlights when Ahmoo is hitting it up Packer is in support and knocked a defender arse over head. Looks big and imposing.
Also heard Leeson was near unstoppable.

Leeson has improved so much over the last year or so and its good to see he's such a quiet fellow off the field but a real leader on it.

redvscotty

First Grade
I see. In this context I'm not sure what composed really means. If possible please enlighten me. Were many tries scored on the left side? Has Widdop's long kicking game improved or has it been decided he will no longer be responsible? In which case, given Rein's lack of kicking ability, I presume Dugan will be helping Benji. Can Mann kick long?

Do you ever get tired of being a whinging merkin?

BrissyRedV

Bench

Come on Val, you know I only "flip it" when you make baseless claims with your continued flawed arguments over Widdop's ability and completely write off a players contribution to a team. And now I see you are forming and posting an opinion on Gaz's contributions to a trial game from a few single line comments on how he played without actually seeing for yourself. But it actually makes sense now how you have come to your opinion on Gaz's contributions now. But come on Val, surely you can show some patience and wait for season proper to start your diatribe against our captain, our general, Mr Widdop?

Last edited:

GC Dragon

Juniors
Great review Pat that's how i seen it as well . Just on two NYC guys that didn't get much of a mention . Hame Sele was impressive when he was on . Very hard runner and will be a real handful in the years to come and Patrick Herbert who played the second half on the right wing ...He is very quick and looks a great athlete . He scored a nice try flying down the right wing off a great pass from Milne . Both will kill it in the NYC comp this year .

Latest posts