What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You blokes happy with Neil Henry?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Deadset, look what he's done to The Raiders even with their off-field controversies and injuries. He'll be a the best buy for you guys next year. I think he's the next Craig Bellamy (to a certain extent).

Ianc

Juniors
I believe that when he is finished his career, he will be regarded as one of the best ever.

Shorty

Staff member
I'm ecstatic.
I simply can't wait until he comes into camp because he's going to make the Cows into a consistent powerhouse.
I should point out he will have the aid of Billy J there too.

Talanexor

Juniors
As much as Raiders fans will deny it, their main problem is that their player roster just doesn't have the big names or the talent. I think Henry has the knack the get the most out of every single player - which is a pretty powerful attribute anywhere, but even moreso back at the cowboys, where there's oodles of potential in most of the players.

As a hypothetical, everyone saw how good Sione Faumuina was against the dogs. Most of the time he's dreadful, but I think he showed in that match what he's capable of. He had all the skills - and he's a backrower.

I would have loved to see how good he became with a couple of seasons under Henry.

Tommax25

Bench
As much as Raiders fans will deny it, their main problem is that their player roster just doesn't have the big names or the talent. I think Henry has the knack the get the most out of every single player - which is a pretty powerful attribute anywhere, but even moreso back at the cowboys, where there's oodles of potential in most of the players.

I have heard something similar when elliot went to penrith, along the lines of "look at what matt eliot did at canberra, imagine what he could do with the cattle at penrith". Look at how that panned out. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though

Mal Meninga

Bench
He's known as a hard ass, defensive priority, fitness maniac, distant type coach which rubbed a few players the wrong way. Henry has improved since he first got to Canberra, far more than I ever thought, but look at some of the players who've been the reason for our success this year, Campese, Milne, Buttriss, Thurling and Best, all were rubber stamped expendable under his guidance.

I wouldn't call our sensational play an accident, but I can't find the right word.

FWIW - Elliot went out with a similar bang in 2006.

Shorty

Staff member
People please don't scare me with Elliott we've already been through enough with Millward!
Neil will pick up where he left off in 2005,hopefully except this time a premiership:D

mongoose

Coach

As a hypothetical, everyone saw how good Sione Faumuina was against the dogs. Most of the time he's dreadful, but I think he showed in that match what he's capable of. He had all the skills - and he's a backrower.

I would have loved to see how good he became with a couple of seasons under Henry.

I would take our roster over the cowboys. Take thurston out of your team and you are wooden spoon contenders, plus we are minor premiers in the under 20s, you are bottom 3. Plenty of talent running around at our club.

beave

Coach
I think you are being a bit harsh.

we will have Thurston,Bowen (hopefully fit), Payne, Luke Odonell, Southern, Webb (CAN be a decent player....) Kaufusi. Theses are all decent players and with Billy J coming back, they should hopefully be at their fitness peak come season kick off.

I will tell you one Raiders player I would love to see up here, Trevor Thurling. My god he has some potential.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
despite the season the cowboys had, the bookies have them 4th favourites for the 2009 title behind the eagles, storm and sharks.
that tells you something

Shorty

Staff member
Our line up cannot be ignored.
People on here conveniently ignore that we had a pretty sh*tty injury toll this year.
You take the halfback,fullback and dominant forwards out of any team and they'll struggle but we had the off field dramas to add to that.

Yet apparently with a full line up(hopefully) the best strength and conditioner in the league and arguably one of the best coaches in the NRL we're going to get the spoon again or miss the eight and it's out of the question to tip us to do well!

Raider_69

Post Whore
I am still dirty on the way he left, and half the reason for that is i really rate him as a coach, he coaches a clean and flamboyant style of footy, he coaches footy the way its spose to be played. I really hope Dave Furner extrated every bit of knowledge he could from Neil

However i feel in the future Neil will live to regret this decision, the cowboys will be back to top 4 next year with him imo, but i cant see them winning a GF tbh. He started something special with the raiders, and i think he'll regret not finishing what he started.

Raider_69

Post Whore
You take the halfback,fullback and dominant forwards out of any team and they'll struggle but we had the off field dramas to add to that.

Not true
Halfback - Todd Carney
Fullback - William Zillman
(add to that Lincoln Withers, our 1st choice hooker and Phil Graham, our first choice left centre)
Dominant Forward - Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Michael Weyman, Troy Thompson... take your pick really...

we ran 6th and would have put up much bigger fight had we not lost Marc Herbert, who was our last remaining half on the books after Dobson's release and Carney's sacking. We had Alan Tongue at half ffs! :lol:

butchmcdick

Immortal
Not true
Halfback - Todd Carney
(add to that Lincoln Withers, our 1st choice hooker and Phil Graham, our first choice left centre)
Dominant Forward - Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Michael Weyman, Troy Thompson... take your pick really...

we ran 6th and would have put up much bigger fight had we not lost Marc Herbert, who was our last remaining half on the books after Dobson's release and Carney's sacking. We had Alan Tongue at half ffs! :lol:

And we had sione faumoina FFS

Shorty

Staff member
Not true
Halfback - Todd Carney

I'm willing to admit that the Raiders did terrifically well to stand up at the end of the season this year.
Not a lot of teams could have done it.

I'm curious to know why you think the Cows won't win a GF with Henry and the Raiders would have with him?