What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You can't buy a premiership!!!

TheDalek079

Bench
hi everybody!

i've been thinking. the knights are now 1-4, despite an easy draw and lotsa home games. which is really surprising, considering how most people were picking them to be premiership contenders. but once i thought about it, the piss poor start to the season by the Newcastle Knights is not that surprising.

why?

Because you cannot buy a premiership!!

I looked at the Knights lineup for last night's game. 11 of the starting 13 were bought from other clubs. and many of them (ramien, hunt, lee, lino, gavet, glasby, klemmer) are in their first season in newcastle. this is textbook trying to buy a premiership. and its the cause of the knights' failings. you need to build a strong culture if you are to win a premiership, and you cannot achieve that if you have lots of players new to the club. they are not familar with the newcastle culture, so they are doomed to fail.

i compare it to a successful development club like the Roosters, who won the premiership last year. Toops debuted at the club in 2012. Lats and Manu are other Roosterites who have come through our lower grades, as has Friendy, Maubs, Cordner, Radley, Liu, Napa and Matto. Taukeiaho and JWH came to the club with less than 10 appearances for their former club. whats the result of all this development? a team of players who live and breathe the Roosters Culture.

Thats why development clubs like the Roosters will win premierships, whilst clubs that try to buy premierships will fail.

Thank you for reading :)

some11

Referee
SO8VK6U.jpg

The fact that four of the most talented and exciting players in the NRL -- Latrell Mitchell, Joseph Manu, Victor Radley and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck -- were developed in the Roosters junior system, shows how important junior development is for the Roosters strategy goal of consistent successes on the NRL field. (RTS wanted to stay with the Roosters but the Roosters could not match the huge salary that the NZ Warriors were offering RTS at the time. Later, realisiing that RTS's planned successor Latrell Mitchell was best deployed as a centre, the Roosters were forced to buy a top class full back, James Tedesco, from outside their development programs).

The Roosters are living proof that you cannot buy a premiership, but instead must patiently develop quality players.

Sonny83

Juniors
why is no one mentioning NQ? they had the best forwards pack in the comp along with 1mil man Tamaloulo and cool spare extra mil for another full back..ehem...Holmes

Latest posts