What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You should not get beaten by 32 points, if you SCORE 32 points!

Timbo

Staff member
Something seriously needs to be done about Toyota Cup.

These games are ridiculous try-a-thons which are more like watching touch footy than rugby league.

Needs to go up to U23s and allow 3-5 over age players as a start in my view.

Front-Rower

First Grade

These games are ridiculous try-a-thons which are more like watching touch footy than rugby league.

Tigers got beat 36-30 after leading 28-8 aswell.

I think we need to look at a reserve grade system instead of Youth Cup.

Defence is a major issue. I don't know why but it just seems that there is no intencity in defence and it's all about ball playing. I have never seen a grade of football like in NYC where players struggle to get the opposition to the ground in the tackle.

Also kids of this age should only be playing 30 minute halfs. The extra 20 minutes takes too much out of them.

Jono1987

Juniors
Raise the age limit to 23 like the original poster said, but instead of allowing over-age players I'd rather just see premier league back. You know back when premier league was a competition of fairly high standard.

fourplay

Juniors
It's more enjoyable than 12-6 scorelines.

I prefer the higher scoring games with lots of linebreaks etc.

seanoff

Juniors

There is no way on gods green earth that any two decent touch sides would leak 16 tries in a game. in fact that would take 4 or 5 games at least.

that's just a sh*t game. seriously that's ridiculous.

roboshark

Coach
I'm sure I turned it on and ncle led 26-6. Surely they couldn't of conceded 58 points to 6 after leading by 20???

Did I see this right??

Timbo

Staff member
It's ridiculous.

And this isn't a knee-jerk reaction by me here. Half the games in every round of Toyota Cup have 48-32 scorelines or something equally ridiculous.

Frailty

First Grade
In my opinion, the NRL needs to introduce a national reserve grade competition...

With all games been televised on Grand Final day.

Just like the old days where Grand Final Day would start with President's Cup, Reserve Grade, Entertainment, then First Grade...

We are seeing a lot of U20s players struggle when moving to first grade because they are skipped through NSW Cup.

MacDougall

First Grade
Agreed, each team should have a full roster of reserve graders and run a national reserves comp. Definitely.

Apey

Staff member
They were attempting to copy their first grade's performance from earlier in the year when they scored 36 points and lost..

STG-Dragon

Juniors

100% agree the Toyota Cup is a joke!

bartman

Immortal
Haven't seen much good defence in the U20s comp. No wonder so few of them are successfully making the grade/transition to firsts. No point being a flashy attacker if you can't tackle (unless you're a media darling like Jamal Idris).