What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You tend to forget

parra pete

Referee
There is no goat like an old goat....
The Price era seems a generation away..but, remarkably, I find it easier to recall matches from the sixties..I can see them like they were 'on' now..
That era made a huge impression on my support and love of the Parramatta Rugby League Club. It was 'real tribalism' at that time, in my opinion.
It is good now, but not as good as then. I feel very lucky to have been able to grow up with the growth of the Club into what it has become now.

emjaycee

Coach
parra pete said:
There is no goat like an old goat....
The Price era seems a generation away..but, remarkably, I find it easier to recall matches from the sixties..I can see them like they were 'on' now..
That era made a huge impression on my support and love of the Parramatta Rugby League Club. It was 'real tribalism' at that time, in my opinion.
It is good now, but not as good as then. I feel very lucky to have been able to grow up with the growth of the Club into what it has become now.

One of the things I miss most i guess is the residential rule... I understand why it doesnt exist, however would love to see it come back in some way so that teams can be just a little bit more 'community' based - should be either exemptions for local juniors or perhaps a cap on the number of non-residential players (say 5 from the squad of 25) with 10 year exemptions for non-traditional RL areas like Melbourne.

With residential rules in place it was so much more tribal than it is today where it is just about the $$

parra pete

Referee
People try to put us d-down
Just because we get around
Things they do look awful c-c-cold
I hope I die before I get old
This is my generation
This is my generation,
Why don't you all f-fade away
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation
This is my generation
This is my generation,

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I remember when i was 8 when we won in 86, i thought GF wins we're par for the course. I took it a little for granted, the last 21 yrs just proved how good they we're back then.

yy_cheng

Coach
Guys, do you reckon the wall would still work in today's game.

I remember Geoff Robinson going thru the wall one time but it would be good to see again.

That includes the Wedge and any others that I can't remember just now

parra pete

Referee
Jason Stevens perfected the wedge.....

Just kidding, I know what you meant.
Coaches used a little imagination back then.. Does anyone recall the move called the Bluff perfected by Ashcroft High in the Schoolboy football way back then.
Hardly in the spirit of the game, but it was a beauty...

Suitman

Post Whore
parra pete said:
Jason Stevens perfected the wedge.....

Just kidding, I know what you meant.
Coaches used a little imagination back then.. Does anyone recall the move called the Bluff perfected by Ashcroft High in the Schoolboy football way back then.
Hardly in the spirit of the game, but it was a beauty...

The best one was the Country Rugby Union teams "Ball up the Jumper" trick against City.
That was a pearler!! :lol:

Suity

parra pete

Referee
Scored on full time, Country coach Dave Brockhoff. I agree an absolute stunner. Only happened once. Banned straight after

strider

Post Whore
the difference between then and now is that the defensive line line is generally solid across the park - much more defensive structure, ie guys lining up in certain spots, covering for weaker guys in the defensive line - and much more intensity in the defence (which is aided by interchange keeping defenders fresh) ...... i'm not saying they didn't tackle hard and well in those days, its just a part of the game that is coached more now

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I agree and the only way to make line breaks is to make the defence make a mistake which is why I have been talking up showing the defence multiple options. If they have a large amount of confidence where the ball is going it makes it easy but if you give them more options to cover they will be forced to make decisions and that is when a clever ball player can read the defenders body language and pick the right option.

strider

Post Whore
oh yeah - thats parra's biggest problem in attack - everyone is standing still and the defence knows who to go at ....... whereas a team like melbourne have the entire team in motion ..... when we have done it, we've done well - but it takes alot of fitness and concetration to keep doing it

Latest posts