What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Dragons to watch in 2019

DragonJ

Juniors
It is impossible to try and read Mary's thoughts on anything let alone hs selections for outside backs however, unlike in previous years we have recruited a couple of young winger who are big speedy players and we have 3 play makers on the field how can put them through the line. In addidtion we have a pair of centres who can provide an accurate pass to their outside man. So all that needs to be done to improve on last season is to put the ball on the chest of these big, fast young wingers and for them to show their turn of speed and natural skills to cross the line.

Who are the alternative options? Well:
Pereira - not as quick and a little shorter.
Maranta - by all reports no where neer as quick.
Aitken - can't - catch a high ball or make good defensive reads on most occasions.

IMO Aitken's worst problem is his inability to pass based on what is happening around him. Looks to me like he decides 'I'm going to pass next time the ball comes to me' several plays or sets beforehand.

Pereira puts in 110% in everything he does. But he is "much slower". Much too slow to be a good NRL winger.

No idea about Maranta. I've heard he is ISP standard at best.

Agree completely with the main part of your message. But I think McFooknuckle will go with Aitken in the centres rather than Lomax. Because he is just that dumb.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Tech-savvy Storm casting a wide net in search for talent
Roy Masters29 January 2019 — 6:00pm
  • Send via Email

Leave a comment

“Director of Data Insights and Decision Technology” is a grand title for someone who works at a football club but, within a decade, every NRL club will have one.

It’s the job description of English Premier League club Manchester City’s Lee Mooney, who is in charge of using the internet to recruit talent. But social media can also be used to monitor the behaviour of current players.

Social media exposes the seamy side of sport, as sex tapes involving NRL players have shown, but it can also assist clubs in their search for the good citizen/player.

The Storm also did a character assessment, via social media, after making contact with the parents.

NRL clubs can’t rely exclusively on Australian talent, particularly with the current Australian Schoolboys team losing the two-Test series against the English Academy team.

Admittedly, the English players are six months older and the games were played in the UK, but it’s been 17 years since the Australian schoolboys have lost a series.

“The internet has a vast array of information to track and identify talent in other countries and we’ve invested time and resources to use it to monitor our existing players and search for new ones,” Bunn said. “If they are on Twitter, we follow that, too.”

When the Storm were ready to sign winger Josh Addo-Carr, coach Craig Bellamy was unaware he was on the radar.

“We tracked the Fox for two years before we made the decision to sign him,” Bunn said. “We didn’t even meet with him until we thought he was rights for us.

Bunn says, “Then we found out Wally Carr was his grandfather - a former champion boxer and one of the most esteemed leaders in the indigenous community.”

Furthermore, Storm centre Curtis Scott, who also came up via Cronulla, “couldn’t have given the Fox a bigger wrap”, according to Bunn. “We knew before he arrived that he would fit into the Storm system.”

The Dragons’ Craig Young says St George Illawarra are also active in social media, using FaceTime to communicate with development players in remote locations, checking correct techniques with weight training, for example.

Young’s former premiership coach, Harry Bath, often claimed he could pick a footballer by looking at his head, akin to Bellamy’s “coffee test.”

But the internet allows clubs to gather a plethora of information before the player is introduced to the coach.
Bunn says, “I have a good relationship with Manchester City’s Lee Mooney.

“He steered me to ‘Black Box Thinking’, which is akin to what air crash investigators do when seeking an answer to a crash.

“I’ve learnt to drill down on the information, rather than approach it with a pre-conceived notion and manipulate the data to what we want to see. “The right way to use the information is to let it take you to the conclusion.”

Latest posts