What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young for captaincy: Wishart

marty_dragon

Juniors
Former international winger Rod Wishart yesterday endorsed hard-working Dragons forward Dean Young as the man to succeed Mark Gasnier as captain.

Wishart believes an injury-free Young is the natural fit to lead St George Illawarra into a new era this season under master coach Wayne Bennett.
Young is one of four leading candidates - along with Matt Cooper, Ben Hornby and Ben Creagh - to fill the role created by Gasnier's switch to French rugby union at the end of last season.
"He's a player who will never shirk any work," Wishart said.
"It's his work ethic, he's tough, he leads by example and when the going gets tough he leads the way.
"Bennett's a guy who commands respect.
"And as a captain, Dean already has the respect of the players."
"He showed his leadership ability at an early age and I think he can certainly still develop as a captain if he was given the role."
A versatile player who can switch between lock and hooker or five-eighth, Young has battled knee problems in recent seasons and faces major challenges for a starting position from Dragons recruits Luke Priddis and Jeremy Smith.
"The competition for spots might just spur (Young) on," Wishart, who played 17 Tests for Australia and 22 State of Origin games for NSW, said.
"He has had a couple of injuries, but he might be back to his best this year and I like the way he plays."
While Cooper will remain in his favoured left centre position and Creagh is likely to retain a place in the second row, Hornby's role is also up in the air this year as he recovers from shoulder surgery.
Having made his name at fullback, Hornby played virtually the entire season at halfback under Nathan Brown last year.
Former St George Illawarra assistant coach David Barnhill, meantime, said it was hard to split the captaincy credentials of Cooper, Hornby and Young.
However, Barnhill, an Origin second-rower with NSW, leaned towards Hornby because of his previous experience leading the Dragons.
Hornby has taken the captaincy role in recent seasons when Gasnier or former prop Jason Ryles was injured.
"Hornby's probably not getting as many mentions for the job as the others, but he's got the experience," he said.
"When Rylesy or Gaz has been out in the past he's been the one to step up, so I'm sure he'd do a great job."
CAPTAIN'S CALL: Who should lead the Dragons?
MATT COOPER
Why?
Highly respected within the squad.
Smart player with a high defensive workrate.
Why not?
Not a natural at addressing the playing group.
BEN HORNBY
Why?
Is experienced as captain.
Is the team's general when at halfback.
Why not?
Will be out of the line if he is playing at fullback this season.
BEN CREAGH
Why?
Courageous, dynamic player who can inspire the team with amazing ability to make a line break. Intelligent and articulate.
Why not?
Has a more reserved nature.
DEAN YOUNG
Why?
Tough, gritty and disciplined. Leads from the front.
Why not?
Facing a battle to secure a place in the team after hooker Luke Priddis and lock Jeremy Smith were signed.
Of the others ...
JEREMY SMITH
Why?
Premiership player with Melbourne.
Led New Zealand to World Cup victory last year.
Why not?
First-year Dragons player.
JASON NIGHTINGALE
Why?
Smart player who could develop into a future leader at fullback or even in the centres.
Why not?
Still inexperienced and likely to remain on the wing this season.

Tim Barrow, Illawarra Mercury | January 21, 2009 - 11:18AM

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/young-for-captaincy-wishart/2009/01/21/1232471354702.html

dubopov

Coach
Former international winger Rod Wishart yesterday endorsed hard-working Dragons forward Dean Young as the man to succeed Mark Gasnier as captain.

Wishart believes an injury-free Young is the natural fit to lead St George Illawarra into a new era this season under master coach Wayne Bennett.
Young is one of four leading candidates - along with Matt Cooper, Ben Hornby and Ben Creagh - to fill the role created by Gasnier's switch to French rugby union at the end of last season.
"He's a player who will never shirk any work," Wishart said.
"It's his work ethic, he's tough, he leads by example and when the going gets tough he leads the way.
"Bennett's a guy who commands respect.
"And as a captain, Dean already has the respect of the players."
"He showed his leadership ability at an early age and I think he can certainly still develop as a captain if he was given the role."
A versatile player who can switch between lock and hooker or five-eighth, Young has battled knee problems in recent seasons and faces major challenges for a starting position from Dragons recruits Luke Priddis and Jeremy Smith.
"The competition for spots might just spur (Young) on," Wishart, who played 17 Tests for Australia and 22 State of Origin games for NSW, said.
"He has had a couple of injuries, but he might be back to his best this year and I like the way he plays."
While Cooper will remain in his favoured left centre position and Creagh is likely to retain a place in the second row, Hornby's role is also up in the air this year as he recovers from shoulder surgery.
Having made his name at fullback, Hornby played virtually the entire season at halfback under Nathan Brown last year.
Former St George Illawarra assistant coach David Barnhill, meantime, said it was hard to split the captaincy credentials of Cooper, Hornby and Young.
However, Barnhill, an Origin second-rower with NSW, leaned towards Hornby because of his previous experience leading the Dragons.
Hornby has taken the captaincy role in recent seasons when Gasnier or former prop Jason Ryles was injured.
"Hornby's probably not getting as many mentions for the job as the others, but he's got the experience," he said.
"When Rylesy or Gaz has been out in the past he's been the one to step up, so I'm sure he'd do a great job."
CAPTAIN'S CALL: Who should lead the Dragons?
MATT COOPER
Why?
Highly respected within the squad.
Smart player with a high defensive workrate.
Why not?
Not a natural at addressing the playing group.
BEN HORNBY
Why?
Is experienced as captain.
Is the team's general when at halfback.
Why not?
Will be out of the line if he is playing at fullback this season.
BEN CREAGH
Why?
Courageous, dynamic player who can inspire the team with amazing ability to make a line break. Intelligent and articulate.
Why not?
Has a more reserved nature.
DEAN YOUNG
Why?
Tough, gritty and disciplined. Leads from the front.
Why not?
Facing a battle to secure a place in the team after hooker Luke Priddis and lock Jeremy Smith were signed.
Of the others ...
JEREMY SMITH
Why?
Premiership player with Melbourne.
Led New Zealand to World Cup victory last year.
Why not?
First-year Dragons player.
JASON NIGHTINGALE
Why?
Smart player who could develop into a future leader at fullback or even in the centres.
Why not?
Still inexperienced and likely to remain on the wing this season.

Tim Barrow, Illawarra Mercury | January 21, 2009 - 11:18AM

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/young-for-captaincy-wishart/2009/01/21/1232471354702.html

kiss of death for Young and Hornby - apart from Brown, people like Wishart and Barnhill are the last blokes a player would want endorsing them.. .. Nightingale future leader LOL ..

also love Barrow's arguments - Hornby out of line at fullback is a negative but Nightingale could be future leader at fullback is a positive ..

watatank

Coach
I don't see why Nightingale as a future captain is a bad idea. He shouldn't be in the running at this point in time but down the track is definitely an option

albert

Juniors
Agree Young.
Is the player that gives 100%.A captain is as good as the team that he plays with.And by god we have the talent!

AJ_82

Juniors
Youngy has to be the man - every time we had a bad moment he would be in pumping the boys up and getting things organised, much more than I ever saw Gasnier doing! He just shows the Dragon passion and fire that should be leading us around the park!

..... because Rod Wishart was a great leader!

I like Dean as a canditate, but I also like Ben Creagh because he leads from the front. Coin toss between the two.

Red'n'White

Juniors
Dean Young would be a great captain. He has a old head on young shoulders and leads from the front. If it wasnt for injuries in the last two years he would have topped the tackle count for the season, easy. Ben Hornby is proven as a captain and should and will be captain for 2009. Others that will be considered will be Priddis, Cooper, Smith and maybe Ben Creagh.

A captain need to lead from the front, talk all the time on the field, be a role model and teach younger players how to be role models when they themselves move into a leadership role. All these players have all shown these qualities and will lead the Dragons into the future.

watatank

Coach
I am not sure why Hornby would be a good captain...I know he's done the job before and done it alright but he was at fullback or five eighth at the time and he was a different player and captain from there, particularly from fullback...from halfback he's the general but just another player IMO (still good, but not someone that would be good as captain)...

I doubt Hornby will be captain anyway, he's sat out the whole off season.

drake

First Grade
Smith over Young!?

A blow in over a 2nd generation Dragon?

Where the f**k has tradition and loyalty gone? Deano has more passion for the Red V in his pinky than the new guys will ever have.

Deano is the new Thommo, only better.

Latest posts