What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Hoppa

sooperdooper

First Grade
he wouldnt get 100k straight up....there will be clauses in there. Eg: has to play NRL etc.
No club is that crazy....are they?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
it's ridiculous for such an untested player to be paid that much. I really hope we dont go the way of some of the US sports where young palyers who ahvent proved themselves are given ridiculous amounts of money over establsihed players

ooeey_ranga

Juniors
It would be an incentive based contract. He'll get like 20 k next year, 40 k the following year and then 50-60 when he's at toyota cup age. You'll find he'll have to play something like 15+ NRL games to activate the 100 k deal.

As was the case with the young penrith boys, who were to be on big coin as well! Hopefully it doesn't go to his head, and affect his development!

Mal Meninga

Bench
it's ridiculous for such an untested player to be paid that much. I really hope we dont go the way of some of the US sports where young palyers who ahvent proved themselves are given ridiculous amounts of money over establsihed players
Which sports?

If you compare a NFL rookie(Aged 21-23) vs Hoppa(Aged 15) it's actually Hoppa that's winning on that front. No HS/College players are meant to be paid through money or gifts etc.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
It would be an incentive based contract. He'll get like 20 k next year, 40 k the following year and then 50-60 when he's at toyota cup age. You'll find he'll have to play something like 15+ NRL games to activate the 100 k deal.

As was the case with the young penrith boys, who were to be on big coin as well! Hopefully it doesn't go to his head, and affect his development!

Exactly its more to build up good P.R for both Hoppa Jnr and Hoppa and tyran smiths management company.

blain

Juniors
WILLIAM Hopoate still has another year to run at Cromer High School - but already he earns more than his teachers.
Hopoate has created NRL history after finally signing a $300,000 deal with the same Manly club where his famous father starred.

The staggering contract, over three years, is the largest ever offered to a schoolboy and ends a furious bidding war that had six clubs scrapping for the boom full-back's signature.

"And," manager Tyran Smith says, "it's nothing compared to what this boy will eventually earn."

Still only 15, Hopoate boasts the build of Storm superstar Israel Folau and has represented Australian Schoolboys since 2007.

The kid with the famous surname is also tipped to be included in the Sea Eagles' 2009 NRL squad - despite HSC studies preventing him from training full-time.

"I've always supported Manly because of dad so now to be playing at the club, yeah it's all good," Hoppa Jr said.

"But dad also wants me to stay at school and graduate next year. He wants me to make sure I have something to fall back on in case I never make it in league."

Now pursuing a heavyweight boxing career, Hopoate Sr is constantly stressing the importance of discipline and sacrifice to his eldest of eight children.

The former NRL bad boy also insists there's "no way" his boy will ever be involved in the same controversies, negative headlines or lengthy stints on the sideline through suspension.

"Because William is nothing like me," the 1995 Australia tourists says.

"He's a lot better player and doesn't have the same hot head. I know there's going to be some comparisons. Pressure. But my time is finished ... this is all about William."

The unique deal represents the first major strike for Sportsplayer Management - a fledgling company overseen by Hopoate Sr and fellow NRL retiree Tyran Smith.

Boasting a plush high-rise office in Sydney's CBD, the seasoned duo aim to create a bold new voice for promising Polynesian and Aboriginal players.

"Everyone has been talking about fronting for the Islander and Aboriginal boys - but right now no one is walking the walk," Smith says.

"So that's what we're about, giving these players the advice, support and financial knowledge that we never received ourselves.

"Because plenty of guys I played with left the game with nothing. They were dudded, pushed into bad investments ... how does anyone let this happen?

"So we want to change that. If players come to us with the right tools and attitude, we're going to make sure they get all the results they deserve."

omfg

Bay Vikings

Juniors
Exactly its more to build up good P.R for both Hoppa Jnr and Hoppa and tyran smiths management company.

Exactly. Also he's actually 16 and about the same height as his dad so probably nowhere near the size of Israel at the same age. Looked very good playing against other kids his same age though. Hype.

Tony Williams on the other hand, is an outstanding buy, well done Manly.

Latest posts