What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Stars

Frank Facer

First Grade
We look to have a great bunch of young stars right now. Some are just starting their first grade career's, while we have several others who haven't played first grade yet but have some pretty big wraps on them. We have the likes of Lucky and Lomax who look like they could be in for big seasons. I won't be surprised to see either of them playing origin in the next few years. Lawrie was really hitting his straps at the end of last season. Host could still prove to be a good first grader. Dufty is still a young star too.

Then we have the likes of Robson, Ravalawa, Field, Marsters, Ford, Sailor, Silverman and Schiller who all have big wraps on them. It will be interesting to see how these young stars progress over the next few years, but it looks to me like Millward and the rest of our recruitment team are doing a good job.

I am keen to see some footage of Silverman and Schiller.

It is looking like the perfect ingredient for a premiership. A top line pair of halves, one of the best forward packs in the comp and a plethora of young stars who will be on relative low money for a short time. The last time we has so many young stars at our club was 2009, when we had Merrin, Stanley, Linnett, Leilua and Beau Henry in the under 20's, while Nightingale was just starting his first grade career. The next year we won the comp.

Last edited:

dragon thomo

Juniors
Good thread as there looks to be like good talent coming through.
I hope the lower grades start concentrating more on there defence as some of our talent do show that they either lack defensive techniques or how to read in defence.

denis preston

First Grade
Please , Please , please , just for once leave your coaching comments out of this thread completely. and leave it positive.

Agree Frank , and big years for all these stallions.Some will make it and some won't. It will be flukey if more than 2 or 3 do though but who knows ?

DragonJ

Juniors
We look to have a great bunch of young stars right now. Some are just starting their first grade career's, while we have several others who haven't played first grade yet but have some pretty big wraps on them. We have the likes of Lucky and Lomax who look like they could be in for big seasons. I won't be surprised to see either of them playing origin in the next few years. Lawrie was really hitting his straps at the end of last season. Host could still prove to be a good first grader. Dufty is still a young star too.

Then we have the likes of Robson, Ravalawa, Field, Marsters, Ford, Sailor, Silverman and Schiller who all have big wraps on them. It will be interesting to see how these young stars progress over the next few years, but it looks to me like Millward and the rest of our recruitment team are doing a good job.

I am keen to see some footage of Silverman and Schiller.

It is looking like the perfect ingredient for a premiership. A top line pair of halves, one of the best forward packs in the comp and a plethora of young stars who will be on relative low money for a short time. The last time we has so many young stars at our club was 2009, when we had Merrin, Stanley, Linnett, Leilua and Beau Henry in the under 20's, while Nightingale was just starting his first grade career. The next year we won the comp.
But Dufty isn't really that young. Isn't he 24 this year? Or 24 already?

dragon thomo

Juniors
I am not sure how old Dufty is Frank, but he should know how to defend by now.
I personally don’t think Dufty or Field are up to first grade because of there defence and also under the high ball.
It would not really concern me if we had let either one go to free up some cap space.

Old Timer

Coach
No doubt we have potential in the wings but someone please tell me how that potential will be realised and the premiership window prized open?
Last year it was all about Lomax and now it appears to be all about Silverman & Schiller and we still have no guarantees of seeing Lomax in 1st grade and most likely Silverman & Schiller won't see ISP.
Add to that Masters who was also a "next big thing" a little while ago and then look at what actually happens.
If these guys are our future it is important to give them one so IMO no more journeymen and make some hard decisions re the likes of Sailor, Field, Dufty and drop the argument about "they are too young" as other clubs find a way to find out.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
No doubt we have potential in the wings but someone please tell me how that potential will be realised and the premiership window prized open?
Last year it was all about Lomax and now it appears to be all about Silverman & Schiller and we still have no guarantees of seeing Lomax in 1st grade and most likely Silverman & Schiller won't see ISP.
Add to that Masters who was also a "next big thing" a little while ago and then look at what actually happens.
If these guys are our future it is important to give them one so IMO no more journeymen and make some hard decisions re the likes of Sailor, Field, Dufty and drop the argument about "they are too young" as other clubs find a way to find out.
before you rant, make sure your facts are correct...

DragonJ

Juniors
Dufty is 22 soon to be 23, google is your friend.
Sometimes I feel an approximate estimate is okay. I hope he proves me wrong. I thought McIdiot shouldn't have let Dugan go but he proved me wrong.

But the fact remains that Dufty has very little if any natural growth left. The way opposition often manhandled him really concerned me.

possm

Coach
Please , Please , please , just for once leave your coaching comments out of this thread completely. and leave it positive.

Agree Frank , and big years for all these stallions.Some will make it and some won't. It will be flukey if more than 2 or 3 do though but who knows ?

History has shown you to be correct. The main thing to do is look at reasons why and then make it so that these young bucks are given the best opportunity to succeed. Our club needs to:

1. Get rid of coaching staff who do not put every effort into progressing these young bucks. Winning at NRL level is most important however, who cares if we lose at U20s or ISP level in our pursuit to progress our juniors.

2. Think outside the square by offering 'rugby league' scholarships to those outstanding juniors at schools that have a good rugby league program. Spend a high percentage of the funds allocated for junior rugby league on these programs. Provide assistance to design such programs in local schools. Include regular visits by Dragons former rep players and run regular coaching clinics at these schools.

3. For outstanding juniors arrange a mentor to be allocated and where necessary, a personal coach for individual skills training in order to address skill shortages.

4. Follow-up school scholarships with a tertiary scholarship for those juniors who have progressed and are seen to have outstanding potential. Include a junior contract with this scholarship.

5. Have the NRL and the Club's marketing division seek sponsors for this junior development program. I'm sure there may even be State Government grants that would be available for certain elements of such a scheme.

6. Convince the NRL to allow for a compensation payment to be paid by other clubs who recruit these players. These funds to be re-directed towards funding the program.

This Year?

Immortal
Would love to see these players get some time in first grade instead of has been journeymen who only care about the money they make instead of making a name for themselves and trying to achieve a dream.

These younger players should be keeping the 1st grade squad on their toes and challenging them retain their spots. Given this always happens we wouldn't be paying over for crap players and still have players the represent our areas

Frank Facer

First Grade
Born: 10 January 1996 (age 22 years)
I recall hearing/reading that those born in early in the year, like January and February have much greater chances of become pro footy players than those born in the later half of the year. I think it was an American study.

possm

Coach
Would love to see these players get some time in first grade instead of has been journeymen who only care about the money they make instead of making a name for themselves and trying to achieve a dream.

These younger players should be keeping the 1st grade squad on their toes and challenging them retain their spots. Given this always happens we wouldn't be paying over for crap players and still have players the represent our areas

I'd love to see this as well however, it all depends on preparation and readiness of these young guns. If junior pathways are run by professionals, there would be less requirement to recruit players past their prime. I agree with you, the ideal ISP squad should mainly comprise young juniors who have attained the skills to progress to first grade.

BennyV

Referee
Despite having a designated Director of Pathways we lack true pathways for our best youngsters to first grade, we lack the ability to truly differentiate those who don’t make it from those who do, and most of all we lack the ability to develop basic skills into first grade football attributes.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Dufty could still be the star that many think he is ... But he needs to work hard on a few key aspects .. The window of Widdop/Norman gives him that if he is not too arrogant to realise that ISP and specific performance targets are useful in his development.

I think our spine has widdop/hunt/norman/mcinnes with Robson on the bench so there is a very easy selection choice.

Now if he can get those aspects of his game right then there will be chances in 1st grade this season again with origin/injury/fatigue and a litmus test again for his progression.

However as it stands now, the only real game against a top 8 team last season he really performed well in was the sharks 2nd encounter and that is tempered by the fact that Gallen/Graham/Fifita didnt finish and that ruined their defensive line. He is fantastic against weaker defences but not the top ones.

The team doesnt need him this season and hopefully there is enough maturity there to realise that he is not a finished product by any stetch.

Similarly, there needs to be a re-think on Aitken ... Lock in ISP becons as to me Lomax is the real deal at right centre.

Lawrie has to take Latimores spot now and it wouldnt surprise me to see him get more and more minutes as the season progresses. Before Jack i actually had Lawrie starting over Graham to ensure we had one of Graham/Jack on the paddock all game but that changes now.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Robson is a fantastic prospect and should be getting 20-30 min each week at 9/13 building over the season.

Luc though is the real X Factor - his hands/size are amazing and if we can actually build an attacking structure around his skills then there is plenty of promise. I would be playing him left edge with Sims right edge and Friz lock. I think Norman/Luc on the left could work some real magic, especially if there is a speed option on the left flank.

Latest posts