What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young takes over from Gordon

Walpole

Juniors
f**k me, it's like when that bloke at your local club, who used to captain the firsts, won a comp 40 years ago and has been sinking schooners on the memory ever since, gets handed the presidents job because all the other old merkins can't man the barbie any more. First thing he does is bring his son in, who can't coach for shit but was also a decent player in his day, who in turn resurrects some other old dead shits to tell the young blokes how it's done. For those who want the Dragons to return to being "St George" only, this puts us well on the way. Should be no time before we're able to walk in to Kogarah Oval and buy a double on the main (8 Newtown, 10 St George of course) and a sausage sandwich from Deano.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
f**k me, it's like when that bloke at your local club, who used to captain the firsts, won a comp 40 years ago and has been sinking schooners on the memory ever since, gets handed the presidents job because all the other old merkins can't man the barbie any more. First thing he does is bring his son in, who can't coach for shit but was also a decent player in his day, who in turn resurrects some other old dead shits to tell the young blokes how it's done. For those who want the Dragons to return to being "St George" only, this puts us well on the way. Should be no time before we're able to walk in to Kogarah Oval and buy a double on the main (8 Newtown, 10 St George of course) and a sausage sandwich from Deano.
Jeez @Walpole get a grip. It was just a suggestion! Craig Young might be a dud of an administrator, but he was a helluva player for the Dragons. I thought he may be able to recognise talent amongst the juniors. OK, you don't agree with me. Fair enough, but make a useful contribution rather than just a rant eh?

Walpole

Juniors
Jeez @Walpole get a grip. It was just a suggestion! Craig Young might be a dud of an administrator, but he was a helluva player for the Dragons. I thought he may be able to recognise talent amongst the juniors. OK, you don't agree with me. Fair enough, but make a useful contribution rather than just a rant eh?
No worries mate, just in a ranting mood. Wasn't directed at you in particular.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There are some good and some doncerning aspects to Albert taking over the Chair.

Of course the good would centre around that the St George side now has, lets use the word 'control', over the Board. I feel this is a positive for the Dragons brand, use of the Red V and general business associated with the Dragons.

What disturbs me the most is whether Albert will be just a 'puppet king', one who is at the mercy of those below, particularly one ex-CEO. Another is that, how an ex-chairman can retain a position on the Board after his time, talk about power hungry people.

Personally, I don't think Albert would be that 'silly' to hring back his son as head coach, particularly in the short term.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I certainly could not see how Chairman Craig Young could possibly consider & offer his son Dean a position as Head Coach.
Surely, that is a conflict of interest & should not be possible during Craig Young’s 3 year Chairmanship term.
Ben Hornby maybe !!

Dragon David

First Grade
Craig Young is Dragons through and through. Being a Dragons man has been part of his and his family's life for nearly 50 years. One of his main concerns no doubt will be to ensure that our football results will greatly improve from the junior ranks to first grade. As the chairman, he will have the final say in all matters football so I'm thinking we will become much better in years to come.

Hopefully Griffin will toe the line and get some extra decent signings with the help of the recruitment and retention guys and bring in Kyle Stanley to help guide the younger players and identify talent for the club.

Whether or not he will have Dean return one day is something we will find out should there be a need to change coaching staff. But for the time being, the change in the Board leadership might be what we need. Well let's hope so as we do need so much more improvement.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I certainly could not see how Chairman Craig Young could possibly consider & offer his son Dean a position as Head Coach.
Surely, that is a conflict of interest & should not be possible during Craig Young’s 3 year Chairmanship term.
Ben Hornby maybe !!
I think Hook will be the coach for at least anothervyear or 2 ( I hope so because it would mean that Dragons are going ok). Ben Hornby seems to me to be the most promising of the former players turned coach, but another few years as an assistant in a successful system will only improve him. Dean Young had good reports about him as assistant coach forbthe Tongan team, but I think he needs a lot more experience elsewhere. Hopefully Craig will see it my way! 😀

Saffy

Juniors
I don't see this as a positive move. Young has been part of the hierarchy that has overseen a major decline in the clubs performance on the field.
I agree ,he wasn't the answer yrs ago and won't be now he was out of touch then and still will be ,can't see much happening at Kogarah till coach goes ,and they learn to look after an keep some local talent,somehow can't see much change with Young.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yep , same ship with one of the senior officers now being promoted as the new captain.

But there is no need to unduly concern ourselves gents , as I believe that this bloke served some time on the Titanic , “ 9 o’clock and all wells “ came the call from the crows nest . . . . 🚢

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
Craig Young is Dragons through and through. Being a Dragons man has been part of his and his family's life for nearly 50 years. One of his main concerns no doubt will be to ensure that our football results will greatly improve from the junior ranks to first grade. As the chairman, he will have the final say in all matters football so I'm thinking we will become much better in years to come.

Hopefully Griffin will toe the line and get some extra decent signings with the help of the recruitment and retention guys and bring in Kyle Stanley to help guide the younger players and identify talent for the club.

Whether or not he will have Dean return one day is something we will find out should there be a need to change coaching staff. But for the time being, the change in the Board leadership might be what we need. Well let's hope so as we do need so much more improvement.
DD. Stanley coached Stg SG Ball team this year, has been in the lower grades system for the last couple of years. Fingers crossed he kicks on. Willie Talau had the Flegg boys humming along this year, got to keep him in the system too. Great coach for the younger fellas

Como Connection

First Grade

Very good post, Albert is a Saints man so perhaps some pressure on WIN to contribute financially will be a priority.
CC

George Dragon

Juniors
A centre of excellence in Wollongong is all well and good but maybye Craig should be looking at rebuilding the St George junior leagues considering he is chairman of that particular league

The only way we are going to build the juniors is to conduct a better evaluation of the juniors of both areas.

Make Browny the head of Pathways and appoint additional scouts like Kyle Stanley to help sift through the juniors pool of both our club and other clubs.

Not a bad idea, but I am not sure that Browny would jump at the chance to go from head coach to head of pathways at the Dragons! Maybe Craig Young himself? Get him back immersed in the grass roots of the club he loves? Just speculating.

The job was never going outside the club, I would rather Young than Gordon.

When the coaching role was being considered last year Young abstained from voting because of Dean being considered.

It extremely hard to build the juniors when there is no pool in the area anymore..
Stanley is already the head of pathways for Dragons and has done well recently with recruitment from outside the area.
(Dates Latu Salanoa)

Lastly Young still attends all Dragons junior games and has his finger on the pulse.

Cheers to all.

Latest posts