What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young takes over from Gordon

mickeylane

Bench
at least he's a Dragons man...and has some sort of aspiration of being successful having won 2 GF ...take him 100 times over useless Gordon...
I expect Dean Young to be Head Coach in 2023 ..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
at least he's a Dragons man...and has some sort of aspiration of being successful having won 2 GF ...take him 100 times over useless Gordon...
I expect Dean Young to be Head Coach in 2023 ..
Dean Young will not be coach in 23, I would like to think that Webb and co have a bit more say than that. Unless the Cows win the GF next year why would we sign the assistant coach of a club that cant even make the 8? We would be far far better re signing Hook, or getting Flanno or something than going that way. Dean Young has a long path to walk before coming back here which includes imo a stint in England as a head coach and some silverware before even being considered. Hook, Flanno, Wane even Furner would be ahead of him.

blacksafake

First Grade
They’re still here, posting on a Dragons forum after 10 years of utter shit from our club.

If people are throwing in the towel after ten years, they’re not fair weather fans. They’ve stuck around this long, but they’re probably fed up with throwing their money at the club year after year and watching it make mistake after mistake. I can’t say I blame them.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dean Young will not be coach in 23, I would like to think that Webb and co have a bit more say than that. Unless the Cows win the GF next year why would we sign the assistant coach of a club that cant even make the 8? We would be far far better re signing Hook, or getting Flanno or something than going that way. Dean Young has a long path to walk before coming back here which includes imo a stint in England as a head coach and some silverware before even being considered. Hook, Flanno, Wane even Furner would be ahead of him.

Deano has a 3yr contract with he Cows, which I believe is up to the end of '23. So, I agree he won't be here to coach during that season. After that, who knows.

However, there's a lot more to being a coach than just the win/loss column, although it is important, it's not the overriding factor that will determine a coach's future.

One important factor is the ability of the coach to attract quality players to the Club. Madge Maguire for example, is a premiership winning coach, however, his ability to attract quality players is now in question. Ricky Stuart, another premiership winning coach, has recruited who, other than a few Englishmen, who seems hell bent on getting out of there pronto.

Another obvious one is man management. A coach has to be both mentor and disciplinarian almost at the same time. Sometimes the old saying of "kicking them in the butt, but make them feel good about it" often applies. You find this in coach's such as Bellamy and Bennett. Young and inexperienced coach's struggle in this area, an example here was Anthony Seibold (IMO). As stated in a previous post, ALL first year coach's at their Clubs ALL failed to make the finals this year. Does that make them bad coach's? hell no. Some players engage with the coach whilst others think they're above them. Sorting the players who what to be apart of the process, rather than ignore or fight it, takes a skilled manager. That Coach/manager has to then decide what's best for his team. Some players are let go and fans are mystified why, however, they aren't privy to what is actually transpiring within the playing group. Tough decisions have to be made, some do it, others just want the easy way out and let the players decide.

The last one (but not the least one) is junior development. A fine balance between, identifying, mentoring, developing, not overusing (for the sake of it) and providing the right pathway.

As Dragons fans, we almost demand instant and continuous success. It's a hard pill to swallow, that, at this present time we aren't one of the 'glamour' clubs. For years we have been a nomad in the desert, searching for that elusive oasis that isn't just a mirage. However, to find it, firstly you have to make the first steps. Sitting back and waiting for it to find you, simply won't happen. I feel that we are currently making those steps, difficult as they are, but our oasis isn't too far ahead. Patience (yes, the word we've all heard before) is a virtue and we just have to bear it for a little while longer and I believe that shimmer of hope will become clearer in '22.

Gareth67

First Grade
Your correct FCD , he should not be there and as yourself , I am sure that he will not be . It would be a case of revisiting the pass - aka Mary all over again .

I have faith in Griffin to pull the Dragons out of the mire next season as he has culled the deadwood and with the new signings things can only improve .

A combination of a solid forward pack - not spectacularly so - but enough to hold their own against most opponents and our youthful young guns who show so much promise , plus natural ability .

This time next season we should all have a smile on faces and be able to put the disappointments of the last decade well and truly behind us .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Deano has a 3yr contract with he Cows, which I believe is up to the end of '23. So, I agree he won't be here to coach during that season. After that, who knows.

However, there's a lot more to being a coach than just the win/loss column, although it is important, it's not the overriding factor that will determine a coach's future.

One important factor is the ability of the coach to attract quality players to the Club. Madge Maguire for example, is a premiership winning coach, however, his ability to attract quality players is now in question. Ricky Stuart, another premiership winning coach, has recruited who, other than a few Englishmen, who seems hell bent on getting out of there pronto.

Another obvious one is man management. A coach has to be both mentor and disciplinarian almost at the same time. Sometimes the old saying of "kicking them in the butt, but make them feel good about it" often applies. You find this in coach's such as Bellamy and Bennett. Young and inexperienced coach's struggle in this area, an example here was Anthony Seibold (IMO). As stated in a previous post, ALL first year coach's at their Clubs ALL failed to make the finals this year. Does that make them bad coach's? hell no. Some players engage with the coach whilst others think they're above them. Sorting the players who what to be apart of the process, rather than ignore or fight it, takes a skilled manager. That Coach/manager has to then decide what's best for his team. Some players are let go and fans are mystified why, however, they aren't privy to what is actually transpiring within the playing group. Tough decisions have to be made, some do it, others just want the easy way out and let the players decide.

The last one (but not the least one) is junior development. A fine balance between, identifying, mentoring, developing, not overusing (for the sake of it) and providing the right pathway.

As Dragons fans, we almost demand instant and continuous success. It's a hard pill to swallow, that, at this present time we aren't one of the 'glamour' clubs. For years we have been a nomad in the desert, searching for that elusive oasis that isn't just a mirage. However, to find it, firstly you have to make the first steps. Sitting back and waiting for it to find you, simply won't happen. I feel that we are currently making those steps, difficult as they are, but our oasis isn't too far ahead. Patience (yes, the word we've all heard before) is a virtue and we just have to bear it for a little while longer and I believe that shimmer of hope will become clearer in '22.
Yeah I agree

Unsainty79

Juniors
I don’t think it is as bad as the negative people think, or as positive as the positive people think.

It’s merely a change in who sits in what chair, there is no real difference to the composition of the board.

Essentially the only change is he is going to decide on anything that is deadlocked, he is not an executive chair.

D. Young is not returning to coach. Has 2 years remaining on his deal and uprooted a young family to move to Nth QLD.

If Griffin starts the year well, he will be extended.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Hey guys…. Just an outsiders opinion. While Alberts’ heart is no doubt in the right place I feel that it’s the old boys club at the Dragons has been detrimental to the club for many years. Time to get progressive and outsource some businessmen externally for these roles. Also practically every assistant coach has a get out clause should a head coach role become available. Once again Dean is red and white through and through but that doesn’t necessarily equate to a successful coaching career. Jack Gibson was a wise old fella and one of his famous lines was that winning begins in the top office.

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Nice points made DS. I hate when us Dragon's supporters are labelled inpatient and wanting instant success. Which supporter group isn't? Can you imagine the Storm or Rooster's not wanting to win the comp year after year, yet we are called inpatient. Dragon's and Tigpie fans are told to be patient while the top sides plunder the comp year after year.

Gareth67

First Grade
Nice points made DS. I hate when us Dragon's supporters are labelled inpatient and wanting instant success. Which supporter group isn't? Can you imagine the Storm or Rooster's not wanting to win the comp year after year, yet we are called inpatient. Dragon's and Tigpie fans are told to be patient while the top sides plunder the comp year after year.

Just so Trifili , with respect to yourself and other forum members whose age I have no idea of , but many years ago , in fact in the 1960’s & 70’s the constant whipping boys of the competition were Newtown and North Sydney .

Essentially what I am saying is that the way the game is set up now - with the glut of quality players going to 4 or 5 teams at the most , it creates a situation where the NRL has now at the very least 5 or 6 teams of a poorer quality and competitiveness compared to the 2 easy beats of the 1960’s .

Far too many for my liking and also for the fans of those clubs who can see no light at the end of the tunnel due in part to those club’s sad administration and also to narrow mindedness of the games governing body .

The NRL chief concern appears to be to making as many dollars as possible instead of creating a more healthy and evenly balanced competition where all teams have a true opportunity of premiership success and not merely making up the numbers as is the case now .

Of course with the addition of yet another 2 teams in 2023 the player base will be stretched even further , which will guarantee the struggling clubs prospects of success become even dimmer .

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Just so Trifili , with respect to yourself and other forum members whose age I have no idea of , but many years ago , in fact in the 1960’s & 70’s the constant whipping boys of the competition were Newtown and North Sydney .

Essentially what I am saying is that the way the game is set up now - with the glut of quality players going to 4 or 5 teams at the most , it creates a situation where the NRL has at the very least 5 or 6 teams of a similar quality and competitiveness as the struggling easy beats of the 1960’s .

Far too many for my liking and also for the fans of those clubs who can see no light at the end of the tunnel due in part to the narrow mindedness of the games governing body .

Their chief concern appears to be to making as many dollars as possible instead of creating a more healthy and evenly balanced competition where all teams have a true opportunity of premiership success and not merely making up the numbers as is the case now .

Of course with the addition of yet another 2 teams in 2023 the player base will be stretched even further , which will guarantee the struggling clubs prospects of success become even dimmer .
I've been following the Mighty Red V since the early 70s and it's sad how far we have fallen. Together with the Rabbits, we are the 2 iconic teams of the league.

I agree with your thoughts that the talent will be diluted with the addition of a 17th team in 2023. I can see them targeting Queenslander's and if they happen to be at strong clubs, then those clubs will then target the better players of the weaker teams to fill their gaps. Bottom line, the weaker teams will get screwed.

Gareth67

First Grade
I've been following the Mighty Red V since the early 70s and it's sad how far we have fallen. Together with the Rabbits, we are the 2 iconic teams of the league.

I agree with your thoughts that the talent will be diluted with the addition of a 17th team in 2023. I can see them targeting Queenslander's and if they happen to be at strong clubs, then those clubs will then target the better players of the weaker teams to fill their gaps. Bottom line, the weaker teams will get screwed.

Souths , with their heads all but lopped off in the ‘80’s and then reprieved at the last moment by the action of their diehard fans who refused to be put down .

And here they are in the 2021 grand final ! The Dragons played well on throughout , but now the joint venture’s board has aged significantly and as a result it has been 11 years since we won the that prestigious silverware that our constant nemesis of the 50’ and 60’s - South Sydney play for on Sunday .

A tale of two cities - a tale of two clubs boards , one which hungers for success each season and the other whose thinking is staid and non-progressive .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I think that rather than having bloody 17 teams in the comp, it should be 12 as it was before. Bugger the NRL and spreading out the players. This would enable the teams to play each other twice and each team would have more of an even share of the talent to make the comp more competitive.

This is my opinion and it is off topic I know.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think that rather than having bloody 17 teams in the comp, it should be 12 as it was before. Bugger the NRL and spreading out the players. This would enable the teams to play each other twice and each team would have more of an even share of the talent to make the comp more competitive.

Agree DD entirely , by the way , has someone taken this thread off topic again have they ? 😳

redv13

Bench

Lost $$$$ my friend. Will never happen unless clubs go bust themselves

Dragon David

First Grade
Lost $$$$ my friend. Will never happen unless clubs go bust themselves
Yes I know redv13 that the $$$$ has a lot to say in how sports are run and spread out across the land and the world in fact. My thought is the theory but not the reality unfortunately.

This is the time that our Board needs to get a full grip on how all aspects of the joint venture are to operate. Bring it up to 2030 standards. Make the business it is controlling better than ever. Craig Young and his sidekicks need to show a lot of ticker to get the club running at higher standards than they have for the past decade.

possm

Coach
Young's appointment as chairman of the Board is the result of a rotten deal done when choosing WIN/Gordons over the highest bidder for the Illawarra shares.

The stench is rife with the head hog's nose in the sucking all it can out of the Dragon's trough.

Your correct FCD , he should not be there and as yourself , I am sure that he will not be . It would be a case of revisiting the pass - aka Mary all over again .

I have faith in Griffin to pull the Dragons out of the mire next season as he has culled the deadwood and with the new signings things can only improve .

A combination of a solid forward pack - not spectacularly so - but enough to hold their own against most opponents and our youthful young guns who show so much promise , plus natural ability .

This time next season we should all have a smile on faces and be able to put the disappointments of the last decade well and truly behind us .
I admire your optimism Gareth, I hope it turns out be so. Things cannot get much worse, so even making the eight next season will be an improvement. I still don't think an obvious squad improvement will put the team in the top four or even top six. It remains to be seen, for Hook's sake, a massive improvement may see him with his contract extended. I think the young players will need a season or two's experience to be at their best. Admittedly the past two seasons have been a massive disruption to the competition, so many teams have suffered.

Latest posts