What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young takes over from Gordon

denis preston

First Grade
Deano has a 3yr contract with he Cows, which I believe is up to the end of '23. So, I agree he won't be here to coach during that season. After that, who knows.

However, there's a lot more to being a coach than just the win/loss column, although it is important, it's not the overriding factor that will determine a coach's future.

One important factor is the ability of the coach to attract quality players to the Club. Madge Maguire for example, is a premiership winning coach, however, his ability to attract quality players is now in question. Ricky Stuart, another premiership winning coach, has recruited who, other than a few Englishmen, who seems hell bent on getting out of there pronto.

Another obvious one is man management. A coach has to be both mentor and disciplinarian almost at the same time. Sometimes the old saying of "kicking them in the butt, but make them feel good about it" often applies. You find this in coach's such as Bellamy and Bennett. Young and inexperienced coach's struggle in this area, an example here was Anthony Seibold (IMO). As stated in a previous post, ALL first year coach's at their Clubs ALL failed to make the finals this year. Does that make them bad coach's? hell no. Some players engage with the coach whilst others think they're above them. Sorting the players who what to be apart of the process, rather than ignore or fight it, takes a skilled manager. That Coach/manager has to then decide what's best for his team. Some players are let go and fans are mystified why, however, they aren't privy to what is actually transpiring within the playing group. Tough decisions have to be made, some do it, others just want the easy way out and let the players decide.

The last one (but not the least one) is junior development. A fine balance between, identifying, mentoring, developing, not overusing (for the sake of it) and providing the right pathway.

As Dragons fans, we almost demand instant and continuous success. It's a hard pill to swallow, that, at this present time we aren't one of the 'glamour' clubs. For years we have been a nomad in the desert, searching for that elusive oasis that isn't just a mirage. However, to find it, firstly you have to make the first steps. Sitting back and waiting for it to find you, simply won't happen. I feel that we are currently making those steps, difficult as they are, but our oasis isn't too far ahead. Patience (yes, the word we've all heard before) is a virtue and we just have to bear it for a little while longer and I believe that shimmer of hope will become clearer in '22.
Great post DS .

denis preston

First Grade
Hey guys…. Just an outsiders opinion. While Alberts’ heart is no doubt in the right place I feel that it’s the old boys club at the Dragons has been detrimental to the club for many years. Time to get progressive and outsource some businessmen externally for these roles. Also practically every assistant coach has a get out clause should a head coach role become available. Once again Dean is red and white through and through but that doesn’t necessarily equate to a successful coaching career. Jack Gibson was a wise old fella and one of his famous lines was that winning begins in the top office.
All true but our great hope is Webby who is really holding things together well.

Mojo

Bench
All true but our great hope is Webby who is really holding things together well.
A good Chairman (ie; not a dominant personality but one who consults, guides and listens) and a good CEO (ie; a good communicator and motivator) are essential. Jack was right; the personality at the top ultimately becomes the personality of the organisation. One thing is certain, Craig will put the ‘heart’ back into the club. Nobody can reasonably doubt his belief. As far as I can tell, it looks like we’re heading in the right directions (which can’t have been true for many years of the recent past).

denis preston

First Grade
A good Chairman (ie; not a dominant personality but one who consults, guides and listens) and a good CEO (ie; a good communicator and motivator) are essential. Jack was right; the personality at the top ultimately becomes the personality of the organisation. One thing is certain, Craig will put the ‘heart’ back into the club. Nobody can reasonably doubt his belief. As far as I can tell, it looks like we’re heading in the right directions (which can’t have been true for many years of the recent past).
Lets hope Mojo !

Gareth67

First Grade
I admire your optimism Gareth, I hope it turns out be so. Things cannot get much worse, so even making the eight next season will be an improvement. I still don't think an obvious squad improvement will put the team in the top four or even top six. It remains to be seen, for Hook's sake, a massive improvement may see him with his contract extended. I think the young players will need a season or two's experience to be at their best. Admittedly the past two seasons have been a massive disruption to the competition, so many teams have suffered.

I believe that we will be there at seasons end , just scrapping into the final eight , but not much further .

Hopefully Griffin will use Slone , Amone and Sullivan in his quad of 17 , one of which will partner Hunt in the halves - the quicker the better .

I am not expecting miracles , however there must be some progress and in my mind one way of securing that is by having a mixture of experience and youthful exuberance who possess true ability.

That jump needs to be made in season 2022 .

ALSGI

Bench
Love your positivity Mojo but I still can’t believe the ‘old boys’ mentality and business model.
It’s farcical musical chairs on the BOD.
People like Doust still earning money from the club!

TruSaint

Referee
Love your positivity Mojo but I still can’t believe the ‘old boys’ mentality and business model.
It’s farcical musical chairs on the BOD.
People like Doust still earning money from the club!

Agree with you mate.

Its as if Gordon jnr has left.
He hasn't. The fabric of the board is the same.

As much as I admire Craig as a Saints legend, this revamp hasnt changed anything in my view.
I hope Im wrong.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Just reading about Wayne Bennett’s take on his premiership winning teams over his career. A nice piece about the Dragons and in particular Craig and Dean Young . It is the final sentence that caught my eye , as it is exactly what our current coach Anthony Griffin must do to ensure that the team moves forward next season.

4ECCDDA1-7105-4308-8F27-9303D4C866D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Just reading about Wayne Bennett’s take on his premiership winning teams over his career. A nice piece about the Dragons and in particular Craig and Dean Young . It is the final sentence that caught my eye , as it is exactly what our current coach Anthony Griffin must do to ensure that the team moves forward next season.

View attachment 54561
I've read a few articles about Bennett recently. He's clearly an altruistic individual (as opposed to egocentric). It's a recurring theme how much he feels for other people and he clearly has a profound understanding of what motivates individuals and teams. These features also make him a great tactician because he obviously sees weaknesses that others don't. There's a PhD thesis in understanding this guy because he has to be recognised as one of the greatest coaches in all of sport.

Trifili13

Juniors
As much as we write about Albert (and others) having his snout in the trough, to have a father and son win a first grade premiership is a huge achievement. Despite Bennett always looking out for himself, he could appreciate what it meant to the Young family. Both spilt blood on the field for the Red V. I am sure I have read elsewhere that Bennett gave Browny alot of credit for the team he took over and just needed a few tweaks to win the comp which he was good enough and smart enough to achieve.

Mojo

Bench
As much as we write about Albert (and others) having his snout in the trough, to have a father and son win a first grade premiership is a huge achievement. Despite Bennett always looking out for himself, he could appreciate what it meant to the Young family. Both spilt blood on the field for the Red V. I am sure I have read elsewhere that Bennett gave Browny alot of credit for the team he took over and just needed a few tweaks to win the comp which he was good enough and smart enough to achieve.
Giving credit where credit’s due also says a lot about the man. The Young’s, especially Albert, are pillars of the establishment. If only history were slightly different and we could have Albert as Chair and Bennett as head coach. Let’s see how the Albert / Hook combo goes.

possm

Coach
Young's appointment was jut one part of the deal WIN and the Gordons struck with Doust and Young who endorsed the sale of the shares to the lower bid. That deal cost the Dragons about 3m and locked us into a holding pattern for 3 years.

Self-interest is all Young knows and he has had a snout full of the St Gorge pie for far to long.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This appointment really just confirms what everyone allready knows about the Saints and that is it is an old boys club where they only look after their own. No care factor about getting this club to it's high standards, just a place to keep mates together. Joke.

SBD82

Coach
This appointment really just confirms what everyone allready knows about the Saints and that is it is an old boys club where they only look after their own. No care factor about getting this club to it's high standards, just a place to keep mates together. Joke.
Yep. The merkin struggled to run a dodgy pub and we give home the keys to the Taj?

Although I’m sure him and Woodsy will have a great time there sinking schooners and talking about the old days when they were good footy players.