What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your All-time Best Dragons 17

possm

Coach
I like your team possm
2nd best team wouldn’t be bad either
Goodwin
Blacklock
Coyne
M Gasnier
Nightingale
Mundine
Evans
Stone
Edge
R Gourley
S Gourley
B Beath
J Smith

S Morris
C Smith
G Wynn
B Mc Kay
Yes, great team, I'd say it would most probably be very competitive these days. However, I yearn for the great era of the 55-66 and bright years of 77, 79 and 2010.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
With all due respect to the blokes in Possum's side, I never actually saw a lot of them play live.

So I'm going for Johnny King instead of Lumsden, Mark Gasnier instead of Reg, Mundine instead of Poppa Clay, Johnny Wittenberg instead of Kevin Ryan, Steve Edge instead of Ian Walsh, Apisai Toga and Robert Stone instead of Provan and Bath, and Rod Reddy at lock instead of Johnny Raper.

As an aside I once mentioned 'Chook" Raper on another sporting forum and it took nearly a week to get past the Moderators. Hoping I have better luck this time.

possm

Coach
Hard to argue with too much of that side Poss.

Maybe Johny King for Lumsden? It would also be touch and go between Cooper and M Gasnier.
Yes, your right, of course, it was a toss-up between these players and could have gone either way.

Trifili13

Juniors
I was born in 67 so unfortunately missed the 55-66 era and all those legends. I can only remember from the mid 70s so along with players already mentioned, honourable mentions to Bull Bailey, Brian Johnston, Mick snoz O'Connor and Mick Pigskin Beattie. All very good players in their own right and would not let you down, but not quite up to some of the immortals and legends already mentioned.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes, great team, I'd say it would most probably be very competitive these days. However, I yearn for the great era of the 55-66 and bright years of 77, 79 and 2010.
Your on the money there possum , they were wholehearted players in that era and all tough as teak , with pride for the jersey that they played in .

randomdragon

Juniors
as I’m only mid 20s I’m only going to post a team from 2010 onwards:

1. boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Weyman
9. Mcinnes
10. Costigan
11. Frizzell
12. Creagh
13. De belin
14. Young
15. J Smith
16. Vaughan
17. G Widdop

Old Timer

Coach
I’m in my mid 40s so for me my golden era of watching my beloved dragons was 91,92.
My hero’s were Brad Mackay, Mark Coyne and Ricky Walford.
So many great players over the years and importantly over all the different era's of the game.

So many other names not yet mentioned that could be even added into a 3rd team that would be remarkable in its own right.

J Greaves, B James, P Hawthorn, T Branson, R Strudwick, A Mc Kean all played for Australia then B Johnson, J Soward both mercurial in their own right.

I wish you had of been there for some of the great run it was simply unbelievable and the week leading up to 3pm at the SCG on that GF Saturday was just the best time in the world to be a Dragons supporter.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
1. Langlands
2. B Morris
3. R Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Lumsden
6. Clay
7. B Smith
8. Ryan
9. Walsh
10. C Young
11. Proven
12. Bath
13. Raper
14. Kearney
15. Willson
16. Porter
17. Reddy
I’d go for M Gasnier; M McCoy; O’Connor to partner Reg. Kearney would be my hooker for Walsh; Harry Bath up front and Young to the bench. Reddy to the second row and I’d go for Rasmussen and Huddart over Porter on the bench.

Last edited: