What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Craziest Cricket Memories.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Having played cricket for a lone time, I have a few memories that I will never forget.

1) Whilst opening the batting one day I got a ball that cut back and went through between bat and pad. The ball flicked the top of the pad and went to first slip.

"Howzat", the team went up. Not out says the ump. First slip in his wisdom says to the ump "What about LBW? ". "OK says the ump, I'll give it out LBW".

2) Standing in first slip, the first ball of the day, the batsman snicked the ball straight to me, caught it, threw it up "Howzat?".

"Not out" yelled an angry ump. "Why not" I said.

"How can a batsman possibly edge a ball that seams that far off the wicket", he replied.

Bush cricket, you gotta love it.

The Colonel

Immortal
Playing in u 12's one of the umpires was showing one of the kids less adept at the game how to bowl. He bowled a ball down to the best player on our team - a real lolly - and the batsman proceeded to hit it as hard as he could straight back at the kid learning who took one of the best catches in front of his face. He was quite promptly given out by the umpire. :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
One day we were playing late in the afternoon, and the batting team complained about the light.

The umpire said "Give me the bat and bowl one at me"

He got clean bowled " not enough light" he said, and we all walked off the ground.

Thomas

First Grade
Playing Warehouse cricket, we were fielding. The other team needed 6 runs with one wicket remaining and four balls. The bowler threw down a big piece of poo ball that the batsman promptly smacked high towards the square leg boundary. The fielder out there was a portly chap who couldn't catch, but he started running backwards to cathc this ball. It wasn't going for 6 and it looked like he'd catch it, but he tripped while running and fell on his arse. The ball promptly fell from the sky and landed fair square in his crotch.

We all waited, and then this prone figure raised his hand with the ball firmly clutched in his sweaty paw. He stayed there until we'd packed up.

Doctor

Bench
Twizzle said:
1) Whilst opening the batting one day I got a ball that cut back and went through between bat and pad. The ball flicked the top of the pad and went to first slip.
"Howzat", the team went up. Not out says the ump. First slip in his wisdom says to the ump "What about LBW? ". "OK says the ump, I'll give it out LBW".

I was umpiring a semi final - high pressure cricket where every little noise prompted loud appeals.

The situation Twizzle outlines above happened to me (as umpire) except that it was a middle order batsman, he shuffled around as the ball went through him - a big noise and the keeper went up - the bowler assumed it was out because a huge snick was heard by all (including me). Unfortunately the timing of the knick didn't seem to fit with what unfolded in front of me - you know the sort of occurence when it could be bat touching ball, bat touching ground/pad/thighpad/sleeve etc or ball touching pad or pad touching ground etc. They're tough at the best of times.

I said "not out" - of course the next question about to be asked was: "well how do you explain the big snicking sound?" - I was about to suggest it was bat hitting pad (although it was a big snicking sound) when the batsman (having satisfied himself that I had given it 'not out') called out to the bowler, stuck his hand in his pocket, and produced an asthma puffer - it was absolutely obliterated because the ball or the bat had smashed into it.

The next thing the bowler said was: "well....good decision then!" - I'll never forget the compliment, but also I'll never forget the feeling I had trying to think of a good reason for the not out call besides "it didn't look right" - and you should have seen the batsman's face because he knew that I had ever right to give it out because there was no other explanation.

Ah the memories. :roll:

RockyShark

Juniors
LOL - all good stories!

One day (Under 16s I think) we where scheduled to play the the team at the top of the table, and I was scheduled to be 12th man that day. Anyway, they were short, so I fielded for them in the spirit the game. I usually ended up in the outfield, which I wasn't particularly good at, but the captain of the opposing team put me in closer to the bat. Around covers or point or somewhere from memory. Anyway, I had a great day in the field, a couple of catches.. (my own teammates!) And for the rest of the season found myself fielding in or around the same area!

Actually, I think that was my best day in the field ever - against my own team!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Similar situation happend in a country carnival we played in Mildura.

We were short, the other teams 12th man (badly hungover) did not want to play.

We talked him inot fielding for us.

He took 8 catches (yes 8 catches). His team had a bet, they all put in for a carton of beer, who ever hit the most sixes, won the carton. No one hit any, this sub took all the catches in the outfield.

Back at head quarters after all games and results came in, the sub fielder won the award for player of the day, a carton of beer.

His team were happy tho, despite loosing, they had TWO cartons of beer to drink after the game.

knights04

Bench
Our side batted first and was bowled out for 70 off 30 ov (50 game)
We had the other team at 1/41 at one stage and had them 6/53 later on. At that stage I dropped a sitter and misjudged 2 other catches, all by three different batsman. Our side lost by 2 wkts. #-o

I remember in the U/14's being dropped 4 times by the same bloke on 48 and getting 61 n.o. Then when bowling it was one of those days for this bloke his partner hit one back and I stuck out a hand and he was run out. It was my lucky day. 5/13 off 10 and a catch and a run out. But the look on the blokes face as he trod of Scarborough Park was one of look what I did for you and that's how you repay me.

Another one I remember was appealing for a caught behind (I was at 2nd slip) no one else in our side appealed, but the umpire gave it out. We asked the batsmen later on whether it was out or not and he said "Mum is always right" that batsmen was J. Cook who just happens to play first grade with Easts at present.

Kasper

Bench
Dropped one in short hit the fella in the head. Next ball he was clearly a bit shaken up so i thought i'd throw in another short one, the wicket was a bit dodgy stayed a tad low and crashed into his box. next ball i think expected another short one, bowled a yorker knocked out his off stump.

blaine train

Juniors
i remember 1 game when i was only seven or eight and my sisters team was short and i wasnt very interested in cricket than and i had to go to the toilet so without notice i turned around and started doing my business and i got whacked in the leg by the ball and fell over and got up again and a few people could see my d#@$ :oops:

Latest posts