What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Favourite Knights Wing Combination

Jono078

Referee
I think this is a position the club has mostly been blessed with, even during the lean years. I'm just curious to know what is your favourite wing combination we've had? Here's some suggestions;

1997 - Darren Albert & Adam MacDougall - 23 combined tries
1999 - Darren Albert & Darren Moodie - 26 combined tries
2001 - Timana Tahu & Darren Albert - 34 combined tries
2006 - Brian Carney & Anthony Quinn - 27 combined tries
2010 - Akuila Uate & Cooper Vuna - 37 combined tries
2013 - Akuila Uate & James McManus - 34 combined tries
2022 - Edrick Lee & Dominic Young - 28 combined tries
2023 - Dominic Young & Greg Marzhew - 11 tries* through 6 rounds. On pace for 44.

It's bloody tough to pick. I think the most fun combo was 2010 with Uate and Vuna.

I hope Young and Marzhew keep it up, they have potential to make this year really fun for us.

mozza91

Coach
Aku and Vuna were fun. Both of them scored some great tries for us and provided so much entertainment.
Kurt Gidley was an underrated goal kicker once he was a couple of years into it. He slotted so many from the sideline with most of the tries scored out there.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
Vuna’s best stretch came when he got put back in first grade after already signing with rugby. Think he was regretting that decision by the end of the season and it was a real shame to see him go. He was a bit quicker and not the same machine that Marzhew is coming out of his own end but definitely see the similarities as a finisher.

Yosh

Coach
Didn't Vuna score 4 one game? He was definitely one of my favorite Knights players.

perverse

Referee
I found this video online, quite great to see what Vuna, Uate and the whole team could do.

It was certainly a lot of fun back then, and I feel like we were a few class players in the middle from being a very potent outfit in those days. It's also a team with a lot of ultimately unfulfilled potential in the likes of Paterson, Mullen... Dureau would have been an amazing halfback if genetics had graced him with a bit more athleticism.

I always wonder what the alternate universe where we put more faith in Brian Smith looked like.

aqua_duck

Coach
It was certainly a lot of fun back then, and I feel like we were a few class players in the middle from being a very potent outfit in those days. It's also a team with a lot of ultimately unfulfilled potential in the likes of Paterson, Mullen... Dureau would have been an amazing halfback if genetics had graced him with a bit more athleticism.

I always wonder what the alternate universe where we put more faith in Brian Smith looked like.
I think if the planets aligned abit differently Smith sticks around for a few more years and continues to build a better squad year after year and then by that time his protege Trent Robinson takes over. Smith for whatever reason just never got a fair go with the media especially the News Limited imbeciles like Buzz, and the ice cream delivery man (Massoud), he also for whatever reason was in Ray Hadley’s bad books. I still find it amazing that 3 blokes who probably have never played a single game of rugby league in their lives had so much influence back then.

Yosh

Coach
How good was Paterson for a while. He had it all, the size, athleticism, the attack, the big hits in defense, the magic offloads. Tragedy he didn't go on to be a star rep player.

Vuna was such a easy player to get behind and cheer for. How did he rugby career go?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Aku and Vuna were my favourite combo by far. Arguably one of the quickest and most athletic wing pairing to ever play the game. Both of them were absolute beasts and made it look like they were playing with a computer cheat code.

That also doesn’t take away from how good McManus was as well, he’s one of my favourite all time knights players but wasn’t the same explosive type of player that those two were.

Watching that highlights video really brought back some memories, whilst we weren’t a great team from a results perspective we at least weren’t afraid to attack and some of those tries are unreal. The Aku try off the kickoff against the Roosters was amazing.

If you were to compile a list of the top 10 best all time Knights tries there’s probably 3-4 of them from that video that would be in the conversation.

Our current wingers in Young and Marzhew will hopefully provide us with plenty of highlights this season. Watching Young’s last two games really makes me salty that he’s leaving the club but when the Roosters throw their weight around there aren’t many clubs that can compete with that unfortunately.

General Knight

Juniors
Seeing Dom carry that winger on his back for nearly 10m on route to the tryline was awesome. Any way we can somehow convince him to renege on his Roosters deal? I mean whats a contract these days right? Haha.

Frederick

Staff member
I have vivid memories of that try and think about it often.

Vuna and Uate by far the best wing combo we've had. Strong, fast, powerful and exciting. Young and Marzhew have the potential to be just as good, such a shame we'll only see it for a year

Jono078

Referee
I think this is a position the club has mostly been blessed with, even during the lean years. I'm just curious to know what is your favourite wing combination we've had? Here's some suggestions;

1997 - Darren Albert & Adam MacDougall - 23 combined tries
1999 - Darren Albert & Darren Moodie - 26 combined tries
2001 - Timana Tahu & Darren Albert - 34 combined tries
2006 - Brian Carney & Anthony Quinn - 27 combined tries
2010 - Akuila Uate & Cooper Vuna - 37 combined tries
2013 - Akuila Uate & James McManus - 34 combined tries
2022 - Edrick Lee & Dominic Young - 28 combined tries
2023 - Dominic Young & Greg Marzhew - 11 tries* through 6 rounds. On pace for 44.

It's bloody tough to pick. I think the most fun combo was 2010 with Uate and Vuna.

I hope Young and Marzhew keep it up, they have potential to make this year really fun for us.
So with 2 rounds left, Dom Young and Greg Marzhew have broken the record for most tries in Knights history for a wing combination in any season, currently sitting on 38. Still on pace for that 44 which was the pace since all the way back in round 6..

Really amazing stuff. It's been a pleasure watching them both this year.

Rod

Bench
They've been great, and it's a damn shame Young is leaving. I would guess he's one of the frontrunners for Winger of the Year along with Watene-Zelezniak.

As an aside since Yosh asked it earlier in the thread, Vuna had a pretty good rugby career, played quite a few games for Tonga including at the 2019 World Cup. Wish he stayed in league though.