What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Finals format

thuganomics

Coach
With the poor crowd on Friday night, just wondering what you guys would like to see the finals format next year with taking into consideration Day and stadium.

I'd like something like this.

Week 1 stays the same.. top 4 gets home ground
Week 2 are home finals being played on Sat night and Sunday afternoon
Week 3 are both played at Aussie Stadium being played on Sat night and Sunday afternoon
Grand Final on Sunday night at Telstra.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd go (considering McIntyre system won't change as I like the AFL one better)

Week 1: Top 4- home finals

Week 2: 2 highest winners, week off. Next 2 highest winners have a home final.

Week 3: Home region finals, so if a team from qld make it, played at suncorp, team from NSW played at telstra/aussie, NQ will be allowed to play it at home as the distance from NQ to suncorp is too big for their fans, Warriors would play at home. Melb- Telstra Dome.

Week 4: GF- Telstra Stadium, sydney.

BrisVegas

Juniors
thuganomics said:
With the poor crowd on Friday night, just wondering what you guys would like to see the finals format next year with taking into consideration Day and stadium.

I'd like something like this.

Week 1 stays the same.. top 4 gets home ground
Week 2 are home finals being played on Sat night and Sunday afternoon
Week 3 are both played at Aussie Stadium being played on Sat night and Sunday afternoon
Grand Final on Sunday night at Telstra.

I agree with you on weeks 1 & 2.

Week 3 should be home city finals. Why punish non-Sydney teams by making them play at Aussie Stadium after performing well during the season and earning a week off. It's not as if the crowds are good in Sydney, they would be equal higher in other cities, and fewer games being played there would make the games hosted in Sydeny seem like more of an "event".

Mary

Juniors
NRL should copy the AFL.

Give teams that finish in the top 4 a more tangible advantage with more home semis. Will also lift the poor semis crowds we saw this year, and stop teams running 7 and 8 from just being cannon fodder in the first week of the semis.

Pigskin

Juniors
True home ground advantage for the higher ranked team is all that matters.

I can cop Sydney hosting the GF, but not forever ... only a matter of time before the GF is at Suncorp.

And like a lot of things, the AFL do their finals via a better format

Oink !

RABK

Referee
The AFL system, it is so much better IMO.

Could have been this....

Week one

Storm (1) vs Knights (4) @ Olympic 17,000
Dogs vs Broncos @ Telstra @ Telstra 40,000
Manly vs Eels @ Brookvale 19,000
Dragons vs Raiders @ Win 18,000

Eliminated Raiders and Eels

Week Two

Knights vs Manly @ EAS 26,000
Broncos vs Dragons @ Suncorp 52,000

Broncos and Manly Eliminated

Week 3

Storm vs Dragons @ Telstra Dome 50,000
Bulldogs vs Knights @ Telstra 50,000

Knights and Dragons Eliminated

Grand Final

Storm vs Bulldogs @ Telstra 83,000

It's just an example - i don't care if your team didn't beat who you think they would beat....

Much, much better system - we would have much better crowds. It's fairer IMO too, problem is Aussie might not get a game - perhaps the Dragons would think about a switch to get a crowd above 25,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_finals_system

Quidgybo

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
Could have been this....

Week one

Storm (1) vs Knights (4) @ Olympic 17,000
Dogs vs Broncos @ Telstra @ Telstra 40,000
Manly vs Eels @ Brookvale 19,000
Dragons vs Raiders @ Win 18,000

problem is Aussie might not get a game - perhaps the Dragons would think about a switch to get a crowd above 25,000.
I'd be pointing my finger squarely at the Manly match rather than the Wollongong game. IMHO All Sydney finals should be based at either Aussie or Telstra. The concept of playing showcase matches at grounds like Brookvale is just ridiculous while two of the best stadiums in the country sit empty just a couple of miles up the road. Instead of allocating games to home grounds in Sydney I'd simply allocate the Sydney teams between the two major stadiums as their designated home finals venue - teams in the east (Manly, Easts, Souths, Cronulla) at Aussie, and teams in the west (Parra, Penrith, Canterbury, Wests) at Telstra. It would ensure both venues get four times the chance of hosting finals matches of any other venues in the league and that they maintain their traditional role as the spiritual home of finals football in Sydney. All while still allowing non Sydney teams a fair and equal opportunity to host their finals matches in their home cities.

Leigh.

dio

Juniors
go back to the old top 5 system when you have a legit chance if the make the 5.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
lockyno1 said:

Week 3: Home region finals, so if a team from qld make it, played at suncorp, team from NSW played at telstra/aussie, NQ will be allowed to play it at home as the distance from NQ to suncorp is too big for their fans, Warriors would play at home. Melb- Telstra Dome.

agreed completely, although id have home region in week 2 as well.

BWNB

First Grade
lockyno1 said:

That is the best system imo

week 1 Home Semis for top 4
week 2 Home semis for the winners from week 1
week 3 Home Semis for the teams who had the week off
week 4 Grand Final, Suncorp Stadium

Dutchy

Immortal
All games to be played at BROOKIE!!!!

Penny - GF at Suncorp wouldnt work considering the majority of the fan base is in NSW...So many ppl missing out on chance 2 go to the game

Glen

Bench
They should really stop being so stubborn with this sh*tty Macintyre system and just go with the AFL format. It suits our game's current situation better in terms of the crowds we're getting. It also provides a fairer set of matches considering where teams finish on the ladder

Stranger

Coach
lockyno1 said:
How is that fair to teams such as Newcastle, Pennys Or Dragons when you consider that a non-NSW team has a home ground advantage and the others get jack sh*t?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Stranger said:
How is that fair to teams such as Newcastle, Pennys Or Dragons when you consider that a non-NSW team has a home ground advantage and the others get jack sh*t?

Huh? Dragons and Panthers are SYDNEY teams basically. A home region final for them would be Aussie or Telstra (what state are they from in other words). Knights could be justified having a alone home final but thats a 50/50 call as it is only 2 hrs from Newcastle to Sydney. None of the teams really have a Home ground advantage anyway but the crowds will increase (take out brisbane as it is plainly obvious that a brisbane home region final should be played at suncorp). This system is the best one. Have a look at the crowds this year for evidence! You think we would get only 30K to Suncorp for Friday's match (only using it as a realistic example- I know we lost so that example is not on but you see my point)? It is a financial decision as well!

Quidgybo

Bench
scottyj said:
Penny - GF at Suncorp wouldnt work considering the majority of the fan base is in NSW...So many ppl missing out on chance 2 go to the game
They'll get a chance to go the next year when it's back in Sydney again. The same way they've had a chance every year until now.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
They'll get a chance to go the next year when it's back in Sydney again. The same way they've had a chance every year until now.

Leigh.

You still yapping on about a non-NSW home Grand Final! Get over it. The GF will be held in NSW every year and will stay ther. Give it up!:lol:

Hass

Juniors
My format.

Assuming the matches go to form:

Week 1
4 v 5 @ 4's home city
2 v 3 @ 2's home city

Week 2
1 v 2 @ 1's home city
3 v 4 @ 3's home city

Week 3
2 v 3 @ 2's home city

Week 4
1 v 2 @ Telstra Stadium

Voila.

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
You still yapping on about a non-NSW home Grand Final! Get over it. The GF will be held in NSW every year and will stay ther. Give it up!:lol:
Why would I give up on something that I fundamentally believe in after just a few days of light debate on an internet forum? It is by no means the only issue in RL I have an opinion on or even the one I am most passionate about, but even if I don't mention it for six months I'm not going to give it up because I'm still yet to see a reasoned argument why it shouldn't happen. For those who say the game will be held in Sydney forever, I'd remind them that forever is a very long time. This is a fight for where the game is headed in twenty or thirty years time and as we've seen since 1980, in RL a lot can change in a couple of decades. Compared to some of those changes, the location of the Grand Final seems pretty trivial.

Leigh