What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your First Eels game

Chipmunk

Coach
I would suspect it was against the Raiders at Seiffert Oval in 1982, although I did go to a game at Lidcome Oval against Wests, but I couldn't be sure what year that actually was, I suspect it was after the Raiders game given my age at the time. The records show there was over 17,000 at that game at Seiffert in 1982...that's a fair crowd for that ground.

Suitman

Post Whore
I would suspect it was against the Raiders at Seiffert Oval in 1982, although I did go to a game at Lidcome Oval against Wests, but I couldn't be sure what year that actually was, I suspect it was after the Raiders game given my age at the time. The records show there was over 17,000 at that game at Seiffert in 1982...that's a fair crowd for that ground.

I went to a game at Seiffert around the same time. Attendance was similar so may have been the same day.
Seiffert was a shocking ground and very old school like Cumberland.
Those were the good old days.
Poor facilities and an innocence of anything better.
Some games I attended at Lidcombe were so memorable. It was the worst ground of all, yet was packed with fans also on the cycle track. Wests fans were feral.
Can't believe even these days when I go by that ground on the train that 20000 + were squeezed into that place.

Phil Mann Stand

Juniors
I can't recall the exact game but it was the early 90's. I used to go with my mate from school Ryan and his old man. I remember a bloke wearing a jersey with "I'm a Gavin Catanach fan" on the back. He would go down to the fence at the northern end and abuse the Parra players every time the opposition scored.

Chipmunk

Coach
I went to a game at Seiffert around the same time. Attendance was similar so may have been the same day.
Seiffert was a shocking ground and very old school like Cumberland.
Those were the good old days.
Poor facilities and an innocence of anything better.
Some games I attended at Lidcombe were so memorable. It was the worst ground of all, yet was packed with fans also on the cycle track. Wests fans were feral.
Can't believe even these days when I go by that ground on the train that 20000 + were squeezed into that place.
I think they got 17,000 for the game in 1984 too. The only team with a bigger attendance at Seiffert was the Broncos who got 18,000 in 1989. They moved to Bruce after that. I remember going to a game at Bruce between Raiders and Broncos, the night that I think Mullins scored that two kick try, it was 10 deep standing room only at the back of the hill.

Incorrect

Coach
The earliest game I remember being at was the 1985 Preliminary Final where the Dogs beat us 26-0 nil. Well, I was there for a while until the old man cracked the shits and we all had to leave. The only time I ever remember him doing that. The charger would have broken a land speed record racing back to Wakeley.
That's the same game as my first Eels game... There's a few parallels between you and I Gutful.....

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That's the same game as my first Eels game... There's a few parallels between you and I Gutful.....
I was 6 years old at the time.

Another fond memory was this game a couple of years later. My uncle (Mum's brother) was a mad Dragon's fan and when the eels won my old man absolutely roasted him. In fact, the amount of smug on display on that day has probably meant that the footy goods have been heavily focused on arse f**king us ever since.

Incorrect

Coach

Another fond memory was this game a couple of years later. My uncle (Mum's brother) was a mad Dragon's fan and when the eels won my old man absolutely roasted him. In fact, the amount of smug on display on that day has probably meant that the footy goods have been heavily focused on arse f**king us ever since.

I was at that game too. Sitting up in what was (still is?) the Bradman stand... If I remember correctly, Guru got ruled out last minute after slipping over in the dressing sheds....at least that's what was reported. Mighta had a doobie and not been in the right headspace, who knows!! Lol

Wonder why that game was at the SCG anyway???

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I was at that game too. Sitting up in what was (still is?) the Bradman stand... If I remember correctly, Guru got ruled out last minute after slipping over in the dressing sheds....at least that's what was reported. Mighta had a doobie and not been in the right headspace, who knows!! Lol

Wonder why that game was at the SCG anyway???
You are right. I forgot about that but now I remember my old man ripping him a new arse at the start of the game. I'm assuming either my mum or Aunty drove home.

Dont know why it was at the SCG. Remember going to a lot of games at Kogarah around the same time.

strider

Post Whore
I remember going to Cumberland, but i dont think i saw many games there. One thing i do remember going to was some training thing where the players were in teams and competed 8n games for points - its a knockout parraeels style.

I recall going to many games at Belmore. My grandmother lived at Campsie so we often visted and did a game aswell.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep. The Queanbeyan Raiders.

the phantom menace

First Grade
1978, away game on the hill at Henson Park. For my first game at Cumberland shortly after we tried the old wooden grandstand but I was probably a bit too young and cried, due to the almighty racket of noise when the "Parra" chant went up and everyone was stomping the floor and banging the seats in time. I think we moved onto the hill/seats near the fence for a calmer second half.

And will be my daughter's first proper game this weekend at the Stadium, having gone to the Panthers trial out at Penrith earlier in the year.

hindy111

Post Whore

Your older then me by a tad. But your memory is much better. I don't remember going to the footy as a kid even thou I kinda do. No idea what game or when exactly. Unsure how you guys remember all this shit. And you drink.
I hope my brain is ok.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Your older then me by a tad. But your memory is much better. I don't remember going to the footy as a kid even thou I kinda do. No idea what game or when exactly. Unsure how you guys remember all this shit. And you drink.
I hope my brain is ok.
I’m just making up stories. I don’t remember what happened last week FFS!

Gronk

Staff member
I can't recall the exact game but it was the early 90's. I used to go with my mate from school Ryan and his old man. I remember a bloke wearing a jersey with "I'm a Gavin Catanach fan" on the back. He would go down to the fence at the northern end and abuse the Parra players every time the opposition scored.
Yeah that big bloke with Catanach on his Jersey used to sit in the eastern stand of old Parramatta Stadium. Near the “get em on side” guy.

strider

Post Whore
I hope my brain is ok.
You may have a toooooma

Latest posts