What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your First Panthers Game

Fangs

Coach
I was different. Family went for other teams so took a while to hit home games.

That is a hole that place. A shame it is used more than Campbelltown

Campbelltown is underrated. Great stadium. Carlton Draught too last time I was there.

forby

Juniors
My dad took me to a game in 67, dont know which one as I was 8 then. First one I remeber was against Balmain in 68 when Laurie Fagan kicked a field goal to win. Have been going ever since. Have been to at least one game at Penrith since 1967!

Panther Mick

Juniors
1995 against the Bears.
It was a loss and I can remember our sole tryscorer. Scott Pethybridge.
Ivan Cleary was playing in the centres for the Bears that day

Blues Riff

Bench
I was a supporter of the filthy Sea Eagles. It was the mid seventies and they were the best team. Anyway me and my mate (probably way too young) caught the train down from the mountains to Penrith Park. The Panthers were nameless cannon-fodder and I got the autographs of Bozo, Terry Randall and Graham Eadie.

TheFrog

Coach
Newtown, round 2 1967, the very first First Grade game on Penrith Park. Aged 11 (64 now). Sitting ON the tiny uncovered stand. You had to get there early. We won 16-10, don't really remember much about the game but I was back next time when we rolled St George, premiers for the previous 11 years.

darkbloom

Juniors
My first game was pre-1st Division - it was vs Wentworthville at Ringrose Park. I watched my dad play in one of the grades - I think it was 2nd grade.

I went to quite a few games when we wore blue and white. A few things stand out but in particular watching Lewis Jones play for Wenty was impressive - as young as I was, i was amazed by him - and hated him.

I remember my Mum saying, with derision: "That bloody Lewis Jones, he's a balding old sook, he can't take being tackled, he never gets tackled."

My dad said: "Keep your eye him, Vivian, he is a GREAT player."

I had few favourite players at the time: Bob Landers, Tony Brown, Wal Crust, Bill McCall are a few.

Bill McCall was a rumbling, tough forward with a balding pate. He played in the pigs and he looked well suited - I always though he looked like he could be Badger from Wind in the Willows.

Wally Crust - I think I just liked the name. He was a tall, rangy type who wore his shorts so low I reckjon he he didn't have a jersey on you'd see half his arse-crack.

Last edited:

Western Stand

Juniors
1998 Vs Illawara Steelers

We won 38-14
Beckett got a brace.
The Falcon got a rare try.
Shaun Timmins tried to take Sid Domic's head off and was promptly sent off.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-1998/round-8/penrith-vs-illawarra/summary.html

I have still got the match report from the paper.
This was the day I married the bride. She knew that I loved her because I chose to go to the church instead of the footy. She has thanked her lucky stars, every day since.

1978 or 1979 against Newtown. We sat in the south western corner, near the old Sinclair Ford double decker bus.

For some reason, I had a pair of Cronulla socks on and we went to the old leagues club after the game and my Dad said that I wouldn't be allowed in there with them on. Luckily for me, I turfed them. I would never have forgiven myself if I turned out to be a Cronulla supporter.

Western Stand

Juniors
Penrith vs Balmain 1989. We won the game and at that time Balmain had a really good side, Roach, Sironen, Elias and Pearce. In fact, half the Australian side.

It didn't matter, we had Brandy and the Penguin Graham Bradley and saw them off 28-8. My biggest memory is the sound of Blocker and Sironen tackling big MG and then Peter Kelly. That "oof" sound as big men collide and smash each other. Awesome. I got bruises just from watching them. Tough bastards the Balmain pack and they got their revenge later in the year.

BTW, if you thought Edwards was dodgy under the high ball, you should have seen the Panthers full back from that era - Neil Baker. Every time the ball went in the air I used to cross myself. Heart attack material, when Gus came on board he retired him. Probably put iyears back on Gus's life.
I remember this one being a Saturday afternoon game. I was at this one too.

Western Stand

Juniors
Not trying to hijack your thread...I love this stuff.

Quiz for you all....the commentary in our club song comes from a game against South Sydney. Can you remember the year, the venue and the result? Clue....Souths were leading the competition

Not trying to hijack your thread...I love this stuff.

Quiz for you all....the commentary in our club song comes from a game against South Sydney. Can you remember the year, the venue and the result? Clue....Souths were leading the competition

I’ll give it a shot.....

Year: 1989
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Result: Penrith 19 - Souths 8

I’ll even go as far as saying that the commentary was taken when Andrew Simons took an intercept from Souths’ Jim Serdaris and ran almost 100 metres to score, with Phil Blake in pursuit.

Reason why I know this game so well was that I recorded this on good old VHS and I would watch it again and again as it was such a good game and Souths were leading the comp at the time. From memory, winning the game kept us 2 points behind Souths on the ladder.

The beginning of the Channel 10 replay included a funny little skit with Souths mascot Reggie the Rabbit and Roycey Simmons playing the role of Elmer Fudd.

One other memory from that game was when Les Davidson clocked Peter Kelly on the noggin whilst packing a scrum, knocking Kelly’s headgear flying. Davidson was sent to the bin as a result but, for some strange and puzzling reason, Bill Harrigan awarded the penalty to Souths!!! Funny thing is that from the ensuing set of six from Souths, the final tackle led to the Andrew Simons try.

So what do I win @Western Stand?? :joy::joy:

soc123_au

Staff member
I’ll give it a shot.....

Year: 1989
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Result: Penrith 19 - Souths 8

I’ll even go as far as saying that the commentary was taken when Andrew Simons took an intercept from Souths’ Jim Serdaris and ran almost 100 metres to score, with Phil Blake in pursuit.

Reason why I know this game so well was that I recorded this on good old VHS and I would watch it again and again as it was such a good game and Souths were leading the comp at the time. From memory, winning the game kept us 2 points behind Souths on the ladder.

The beginning of the Channel 10 replay included a funny little skit with Souths mascot Reggie the Rabbit and Roycey Simmons playing the role of Elmer Fudd.

One other memory from that game was when Les Davidson clocked Peter Kelly on the noggin whilst packing a scrum, knocking Kelly’s headgear flying. Davidson was sent to the bin as a result but, for some strange and puzzling reason, Bill Harrigan awarded the penalty to Souths!!! Funny thing is that from the ensuing set of six from Souths, the final tackle led to the Andrew Simons try.

So what do I win @Western Stand?? :joy::joy:
I remember the Elmer Fudd bit. It was the first time I recall Penrith ever getting the top billing treatment on TV.

TheFrog

Coach
I had few favourite players at the time: Bob Landers, Tony Brown, Wal Crust, Bill McCall are a few.
Remember Landers well. A former Rooster. A very tall, athletic man, he used to thunder down the wing Eric Grothe style and kick goals from over halfway. The other bloke I remember well is Laurie Fagan. He was the half and the creative fulcrum, and used to get belted regularly. Dave Applebee too, a bloke who just walked in unheralded and asked for a trial, and became a rep centre.

panther.mike

Juniors
I remember watching Lewis Jones at Wentworthville, he always had lots of bandages etc on, stood out the back and told all the other players where to stand, I cannot remember him ever being tackled.He was the first player player I saw that could read the play, and I played the game.

panther.mike

Juniors
I remember Dollar gearie, Ron Clothier, Landers, the 2 Morans, Zac Ole,,,,, Dessie. Bomber, Ron Willie. Leo Trevena, Mick Stephenson and Bill Ashurst ,Rhino..etc And my favourites Brandy, Freddie, Gus and Scatters.

darkbloom

Juniors
I remember watching Lewis Jones at Wentworthville, he always had lots of bandages etc on, stood out the back and told all the other players where to stand, I cannot remember him ever being tackled.He was the first player player I saw that could read the play, and I played the game.

He was pretty old by the time he reached Wenty but his class was way above everyone else on the field.

Remember Landers well. A former Rooster. A very tall, athletic man, he used to thunder down the wing Eric Grothe style and kick goals from over halfway. The other bloke I remember well is Laurie Fagan. He was the half and the creative fulcrum, and used to get belted regularly. Dave Applebee too, a bloke who just walked in unheralded and asked for a trial, and became a rep centre.

Thanks Frog.
I have read about those guys that were before my time. Its good to get some thoughts on them from someone that saw them.

Latest posts