What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your "League Lockdown" Re-watch

moffla

Bench
Been a bit doom and gloom lately - so to lighten the mood through I'd start a threat to get everyone thinking about the good times.

Hypothetically, if we were to go into a nation wide lockdown and you can only re-watch 3 games of Rugby League - what would they be?

One involving your team, one neutral game and one rep match.

Storm v Broncos 2008
Salary cap scandal aside - this game has everything. Reckon I could watch it now and still go through all the emotions

2015 NRL Grand Final
This was a bit tougher because the game itself wasn't amazing, but it had the best finish in the history of the game.

2014 State of Origin - Game 2
Broke the drought. That's all I care about

Perth Red

Post Whore
Challenge cup final 1980 HULL KR V Hull FC - Greatest game in my clubs history
RLWC semifinal England v Tonga - Greatest atmosphere at a Int RL game
GF Storm v Dragons - where the glory began.

Vee

First Grade
Challenge cup final 1980 HULL KR V Hull FC
RLWC semifinal England v Tonga
GF Storm v Dragons
1985 Challenge Cup - Wigan (Kenny) v Hull FC (Sterlo)
1987(?) Origin Game ??? - The King had been bagged from pillar to post for not running and he lit it up. The Blues still won, 21-15 I think, but the game was a cracker.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Why does it have to be one, I can think of hundreds in all 3 categories:

Anyway:

Eels: 2009 Preliminary Final against the Bulldogs
Neutral: 1997 ARL Grand Final
Rep game: Tough game but the 2013 World Cup Semi Final, NZ Vs England.

2014 GF
1994 Rd 2 Seagulls vs Broncos

Does pre-season count as rep?
1994 Tooheys Challenge Cup pre-season final

If not...
Game 1 SOO 1994. And I'm from NSW. But what a game!!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My team: 2004 Grand Final goes without saying
Neutral: Storm-Rabbitohs Qualifying Final 2018
Rep: 2008 RLWC Final

jim_57

Staff member
My team: 2015 Grand Final
Neutral: That famous Tigers V Roosters final or Bulldogs v Knights with the kick from the sideline by El Masri.
Rep: The Origin that started the streak or Tinga winning against Australia.

Generalzod

Immortal
That’s an easy one

2016 Grand Final
Neutral Game Tigers vs Cowboys Grand final
1989. Cronulla vs Broncos playoff for 5th place

Game 2 1990 Kangaroo Tour Australia vs GB at Old Trafford. Best game of league ever IMO, and like when I watched it back then, I’d get up and watch at 2am on my own on the lounge..

Game 100 of state of origin at Lang Park (yes, not Suncorp), including all pre-game tribute stuff (spine tingling). Out and out most brutal and high quality game of origin for mine.

1981 Semi final Manly vs Newtown. Speaks for itself.

EDIT: Overlooked categories to choose from - must pick a dragons game...

Replace game 100 of origin (sadly) with 2012 Anzac Day Dragons win over Roosters on the bell.. the sound the crowd made was unlike any other I’ve experienced.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
Dragons - 2010 Grand Final
Neutral - Canberra v Balmain 1989 Grand Final
Rep - 2nd Test 1990, Australia v the poms, Meninga scores in the final seconds

captainwarrior

Juniors
Warriors - vs Bulldogs QF 2003 (wasn’t close but the attack in this game was unbelievable)
Neutral - 2016 GF (off the top of my head)
Rep - 2006 Tri Nations final (what a game, Lockyer and Jones were incredible)

I love watching
NZ vs Broncos and Reds vs saints rd 1 1995.
One of my happiest memories of RL was seeing those games and being excited about expansion.

As an aside if anyone knows where I can get some legit Chargers, Reds and Rams games esp vs Souths 1994-98...let me know.

Brutus

Referee
1977 Amco Cup

Easts Tigers v Manly quarter final.

Also Brothers v Penrith and Wests Panthers v Parramatta from other years.

TheFrog

Coach
I was watching the 1966 GF on the NRL site. St George vs Balmain. It's the earliest one they have. They say the rules were changed to stop St George winning every year but didn't the game need them to change. This match, the game's showpiece, got 61,000 and wasn't televised at all, not even on delay. This is what the lucky 61,000 saw.

Kick off. St George knock on. Scrum. St George feed and win scrum. Another knock on. St George knock on, feed and win scrum. Another knock on. Scrum. Balmain penalty. They kick for touch. Scrum. St George win scrum and knock on. Scrum. Balmain penalty. Keith "Golden Boots" Barnes kicks the goal. Balmain lose ball after kick off. St George put about 20 tackles together (unlimited tackles you see, the last match played under that rule and understandably so) and eventually score. It was about 10 minutes in when I fell asleep. It looked more like rugby than rugby league. Every time St George played the ball the Tigers marker would try to kick the ball, but it never did them any good. Never did they try to rake it back and win possession. Hard to see how they ran second (of 10 teams) with such adherence to failing tactics.

You can see why the Dragons won the comp 11 years running. You couldn't get the ball off them.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Just about every origin series from 1998-2005.

that was truly a golden time for origin footy

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
2011 Semi final, Warriors vs Storm at AAMI. Was at the game and it was one of the most perfect performances ive seen us put on to nullify the Storm's game. But I don;t think I've ever watched the replay.
1989 Grand Final, Canberra vs Balmain. Does this even need explaining?
NZ vs Australia RLWC final, 2008

King hit

Coach
2014 GF
1994 Rd 2 Seagulls vs Broncos

Does pre-season count as rep?
1994 Tooheys Challenge Cup pre-season final

If not...
Game 1 SOO 1994. And I'm from NSW. But what a game!!!
'
The whole 1994 series is truly memorable. The Mark Coyne miracle, history in Melbourne and NSW's awesome win in the decider in Brisbane in ruining Mal's farewell.

1994 in my opinion is probably NSW's greatest ever victory

Latest posts