What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Opinion Broncos 2014/15

Kiwi

First Grade
Ok there has been a lot of talk spread across a lot of topics, sometimes even derailing topics. So I thought I would start this one and get everyone's honest opinion.

You are selecting your full strength 2014 Broncos side to play round 12. Who's in it, where, why... Don't just slap down 17 players and go there...justify it. I am really interested in this and how people justify their selections ( because Hoffman is a shit 6 doesn't cut it ).

Also where you think the club should be heading recruitment wise for 2015 and who you would like to see targeted.

There are a few posters opinions on here I respect and would certainly like to hear what they have to say. Also let's keep the might as well write off this season so we might as well try this and this rubbish please. I made that mistake in the heat of frustration and it's not productive or a great way to support our team.

I'll do mine up later when I have a bit more time.

So lets hear it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
1- Barba (pretty self explanatory)
2. Vidot (been one of our best)
3. Copley (far better centre than Reed and frankly I'd rather give him a go)
4. Hodges
5. Hoffman (he is a winger!)
6. Nikorima or Kahu (whichever is fit)
7. Hunt (no explanation needed)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough (only to play 60 mins though)
10. Hannant
11. Thaiday
12. Parker
13. Gillett

14. Granville (impact hooker)
15. Jarrod Wallace (some size coming off the bench)
16. Alex Glenn (feel he is better off the bench)
17. David Hala (better form than Kennedy)
18th man: Martin Kennedy

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
1- Barba (pretty self explanatory)
2. Vidot (been one of our best)
3. Copley (far better centre than Reed and frankly I'd rather give him a go)
4. Hodges
5. Hoffman (he is a winger!)
6. Nikorima or Kahu (whichever is fit)
7. Hunt (no explanation needed)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough (only to play 60 mins though)
10. Hannant
11. Thaiday
12. Parker
13. Gillett

14. Granville (impact hooker)
15. Jarrod Wallace (some size coming off the bench)
16. Alex Glenn (feel he is better off the bench)
17. David Hala (better form than Kennedy)
18th man: Martin Kennedy

Pretty much nailed it. That is the best possible squad we can field this year, which is a bit of an indictment on the state of our front row.

some11

Referee
Most important thing is a new coach, someone from outside the dearth of options in Australia.

Big Pete

Referee
I actually wouldn't make too many changes to our 2014 side. I've been proud of most of their efforts so far this season and think the bulk of the side is fairly spot on. I'd just tinker around with it a little once a few of our lesser experienced players get back on their feet.

1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Dale Copley
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Justin Hodges (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker (c)

14. Alex Glenn
15. Martin Kennedy
16. David Hala
17. Corey Oates

An idealised side.

Kahu is one of the most talented players at the club and it's only been injury that has denied him in recent seasons. If he recovers a centre combination of Kahu/Copley could prove lethal.

I don't think any of our NYC options are ready to handle first grade full-time so I'd much sooner give Hodges the opportunity to work his magic across the field.

I prefer that forward formation since Thaiday is stronger on the fringes and should play exclusively in that role.

Bench has question marks but I have no doubt that once Kennedy sorts out his form, he's the best option we have in the pack and Hala is one of the more destructive runners on the roster. If he can get his act together, he's an ideal bench player.

Most important thing is a new coach, someone from outside the dearth of options in Australia.
Such as?

Last edited:

some11

Referee

Tony Smith has a great record over in Super League and the Roosters got him to do a couple of training sessions for them before the WCC.

Maguire and Robinson proved themselves over there so maybe we could lure him here.

Big Pete

Referee
What kind of coach is he?

It's difficult to get really passionate about coaching. His record certainly puts Smith's foot in the door but you need to see what sort of style he gets his team to play, some of the recruitment/development they've made to get a fair idea.

You've got to be a bit cautious with these coaches too - for all your Maguires and Robinsons, there is also your Elliotts and McCraes.

Be interesting to look around and actually do a fair evaluation of all the assistant coaches around and whether they have more potential than Hook. Outside of Smith, the only names I've seened tossed up is Henry and Walters, neither of whom fill me with any confidence.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Dale Copley
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Justin Hodges (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker (c)

14. Alex Glenn
15. Martin Kennedy
16. David Hala
17. Corey Oates

This. Hodges has shown he has the ball skills to make a great 5/8th and his running game puts the defence in two minds when he has the ball in his hand. I suppose Griffin thinks his running game is better suited out wide but at them moment with Hoffman in the no. 6 it's not getting to him quick enough or often enough.

I wouldn't mind Hoffman having a go at one of the centre spots, but his speed and aerial ability is probably something we need on the wing.

Glenn + Kahu can cover hooker and halves respectively in the case of an injury on the field.

For next year, obviously Milford is just the sort of player we need - speed and has that spark we've been missing. We need to start planning for life after Hodges and our backline has been too slow for too long - a young winger/centre with speed to burn would do nicely.
If our forwards keep getting rolled like they were against Souths and the Cowboys a promising young prop would be good too.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Hodges has played a game or two at 5/8 from memory, and from memory floundered. Let's remember that 60-70% of Hodges game is running from dummy half - not something you want your No. 6 doing ideally.

Big Pete

Referee
Hodges only played one game at five eigth and helped get the Broncos get back into the game against a resurgent Souths outfit.

I'd give him another crack.

Latest posts