What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your personal favourite wrestlers

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'll start it off:

* Undertaker: the guy is a giant, and can move like few people could. He was pretty good on the mic (I refer you to his American Badass time) and he was excellent at keeping kayfabe. He was also not afraid to evolve and put younger talent over.

* Triple H: heavily criticised for burying young talent and marrying the boss's daughter, but I always found he was very good at telling a story in the ring, and whether he was with DX or Evolution, the man could talk.

* HBK: 'Nuff said. One of the greatest ever.

* Test: lacked mic skills, but was a good big man with a good moveset. He was starting to go places with Stacy Keibler managing him before he left the company.

* Eddie Guerrero: my all-time favourite wrestler. He had it all - the look, charisma, mic skills and wrestling skills. The first time I ever watched him wrestle, he was wrestling a face Edge in a ladder match. Both men gave their all and were spent after the match, and it's worth noting that Eddie was in his heel Latino Heat gimmick. I remember thinking, "Wow, this Guerrero guy can go!" After that match, the crowd stood and applauded both men, but especially Guerrero. It was at that moment I realised that some wrestling fans just appreciate good wrestlers and don't cheer or boo who they are supposed to.

afinalsin666

First Grade
CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Mark Henry, Mick Foley, Stone Cold.

My all time top 5. Love everything about every one of these wrestlers. That's in no particular order, and it changes every so often. But all time, those five have brought me the most entertainment.

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin
2. Kurt Angle
3. Raven
4. CM Punk
5. Rob Van Dam
6. Samoa Joe
7. Eddie Guerrero
8. AJ Styles
9. Rey Misterio, Jr.
10. Randy Savage

Big Pete

Referee
Eelementary said:
* Test: lacked mic skills, but was a good big man with a good moveset. He was starting to go places with Stacy Keibler managing him before he left the company.

Somebody in the WWE really had it out for him.

I was never a big fan personally but I understood his appeal. He was like the second coming of Diesel in terms of having that cool, kick-ass charisma - and he was really getting hot after Shane McMahon did a fantastic job selling his offence like he was getting hit by Godzilla.

Unfortunately, the WWE were hell-bent on pussifying his character. His angle with Stephanie made him out to be a total softy and to make matters worse, after Steph turned on him, Test never gained any form of revenge. He just kept getting his nose broke by the New Aged Outlaws and punked out by HHH on Raw before quietly forming a tag team with Albert.

They were sort of giving him a push in 2001-02 having him feud with the likes of Kane, Edge & Taker but the WWE never capitilised on any of his good performances - that match against Kane for instance was a surprisingly good match.

When they repackaged him in late 2002 and put him together with Stacey, it seemed like a good idea because Test needed a new lease on life. Sadly, creative was limited and the whole shtick seemed to rely on that 'Testicles' joke and pussifying his character once more.

Ok, so Chris Jericho smashes your lady in the head with a steel chair. How do you react?

Do you
A) Beat the living shit out of him
B) Beat the living shit out of him with the same chair
C) Beat the living shit out of him with the same chair and end his career.
D) Cry like a bitch

...they chose D!

And you know who stood up to Jericho for Stacey?

F**king HBK!

Dumb dumb dumb dumb!

It didn't get any better from there. He got lumped together in an angle with Steiner which was never designed to be anything other than filler before suffering an injury and quietly being released from the company.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Somebody in the WWE really had it out for him.

I was never a big fan personally but I understood his appeal. He was like the second coming of Diesel in terms of having that cool, kick-ass charisma - and he was really getting hot after Shane McMahon did a fantastic job selling his offence like he was getting hit by Godzilla.

Unfortunately, the WWE were hell-bent on pussifying his character. His angle with Stephanie made him out to be a total softy and to make matters worse, after Steph turned on him, Test never gained any form of revenge. He just kept getting his nose broke by the New Aged Outlaws and punked out by HHH on Raw before quietly forming a tag team with Albert.

They were sort of giving him a push in 2001-02 having him feud with the likes of Kane, Edge & Taker but the WWE never capitilised on any of his good performances - that match against Kane for instance was a surprisingly good match.

When they repackaged him in late 2002 and put him together with Stacey, it seemed like a good idea because Test needed a new lease on life. Sadly, creative was limited and the whole shtick seemed to rely on that 'Testicles' joke and pussifying his character once more.

Ok, so Chris Jericho smashes your lady in the head with a steel chair. How do you react?

Do you
A) Beat the living shit out of him
B) Beat the living shit out of him with the same chair
C) Beat the living shit out of him with the same chair and end his career.
D) Cry like a bitch

...they chose D!

And you know who stood up to Jericho for Stacey?

F**king HBK!

Dumb dumb dumb dumb!

It didn't get any better from there. He got lumped together in an angle with Steiner which was never designed to be anything other than filler before suffering an injury and quietly being released from the company.

I was really mad at how they dropped the ball with Test. He was such a badass...And they screwed him over.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I remember the feud between Test and Mark Henry, Test trying to do all the feats of strength Henry was doing, and making excuses when he couldn't do them. I loved that feud when I was a kid, Test trying to kill Henry with the limo was awesome.
Test was involved in my favorite all time moment, so he's kind of cool with me.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Test not getting any measure of revenge against Triple H after the whole Stephanie thing is a classic example of Triple H's ego basically ruining a guy's career.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Scott Hall first and foremost. Growing up watching him, he was the cool guy. A career short lived, had he not had his demons, he would easily be considered a great amongst all.

Kevin Nash, was a fan of Disel, loved the nWo and the Outsiders. Also liked original wolfpac. This guy was part of it all.

Ric Flair, Goldberg and Sting. There never were any bigger faces in WCW in its height. Flair, the leader of the Horseman, Goldberg and his streak and Sting with his year long build up with Hogan.

HBK

Triple H

Taker

Monster Kane

I could go on, but basically mid to late 90's, anything that was hot, was frekkin hot! Alot was booking no doubt, but a booker can only book with the talent their given and my god there was alot of talent then. Look at the stables, the nWos, DX, Corporation, Nation of Domination, Four Horsemen, both stables Kurrgan were part of (they added to it), The Brood.
The tag teams in that period, Harlem Heat, Outsiders, New Age Outlaws, Hart Foundation, Steiner Bros, Public Enemy, LOD, then Hardys, Dudleys, E and C. (early 2000s)

What do we have now?

Crap, I took a detour!

Sparky 74

Juniors
Superstars of wrestling era

Randy macho man savage - best heel of the time could wrestle any style & made his match look so real.

The ultimate warrior - the original next big thing, my all time MVP

Ricky the dragon steamboat - best highflyer of the era

Hulk hogan - help put the wwf on the map

Attitude era

HBK - mr Monday night - best heel heat & loved him in DX

Razor Ramon -made it was cool to cheer the bad guy

Undertaker - loved the gimmick & played so real

The rock - the people's champ mr cool best on the mic

Stone cold Steve Austin - dud what we all wanted to do ( kick the bosses ass )

WWE

John cena - the company man, love him or hate him he does a good job

Cm punk - modern day heel, & pipe bombs rule

Kurt angle - goofballs can win gold

Dolph ziggler - the show off or modern day hbk, shows what can be done if the time & passion is put in

Ryback - liking his heel turn

Big Pete

Referee
As for mine...

Goldberg - Bill became my favourite wrestler due to my dad's influence. My old man thought Bill was awesome, a legitimate tough guy in a sea of phonies who really blurred that lines between fake and real.

Sentimentality aside, I dug Bill due to the illusion WCW created. Bill didn't have the traditional Pro Wrestling entrance, Bill had a boxers entrance complete with his own crew and he had that faux MMA style as well as that amazing looking spear tackle.

A lot of people shit on Bill these days and for fair reason, he was a green worker who became lazy when the ship began to sink but at his peak in 1998, there's been few wrestlers in history to reach his level of popularity.

Diamond Dallas Page - Talk about a good news story in an industry filled with so many rotten ones, DDP is a good source of inspiration. He was one of the few guys in WCW I could watch and know that he was giving it all. By no means a great worker, but definitely an over-achiever who had some really fun matches with Macho, Benoit, Raven, Goldberg and of course Sting.

His WWE run was a disgrace - I get that the WWE wanted to look strong against an inferior product but the way that was it done did little for anybody. They tried to re-invent DDP at a time where his career was winding down and he had already established a connection with an audience. The fans didn't really care for the positive page shtick, they wanted to do the Diamond sign, see Kimberly and all that. Instead, we got a caricature and an example of how petty the WWE can be.

Mick Foley - In a business that will never get the respect it deserves to get - Foley was one of the few wrestlers that people would watch and would be amazed by. His willingness to put others over, yet remain over himself, is incredible.

Incredibly, a lot of his work really holds up quite well. No, not his work when he was at his peak; although his matches with the Rock are still somewhat decent - I'm referring to his work with Sting, Vader, Gilbert, Douglas, Austin, HBK, Taker, Funk, HHH etc. they're some very good matches and really generate a spectacle that's usually missing in wrestling.

Rey Mysterio Jr. - Originally, I was a Billy Kidman kind of guy. There was nothing flash about Kidman, he just seemed like a typical skater guy who could do some crazy flips and had a knack for reversing powerbombs. However, over time, I've got to say Rey is the best junior I've ever seen.

Unlike a lot of high flyers, Rey found the balance between telling a guy story and being able to get his flurry of amazing aerial offence in to get you out of your seat. No doubt, high flying is a big draw card in wrestling - because it's something the average joe can't do. I mean, we can all hit STFs and Chokeslams on each other if we wanted to - but springboard hurricaranas, pin point planchas and stuff? Yeah in your dreams.

One of the few guys that makes me appreciate modern WWE, because there's no way he would have gotten over in the Attitude era.

My thoughts EXACTLY on Rey. I too was a Kidman guy. I didn't get into Rey until I fell out of love with the product and started watching old ECW stuff. From there I bought the Mysterio DVD, that first CD of matches is CRAZY.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've not been a fan of Rey in his WWE stint, but did enjoy his work when he was in the WCW undercard. Ever since he was pushed towards the top of the card, I've lost all interest in his work.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Mick Foley is who you chuck on to change non believers minds. I remember last Christmas, my pop was doing the whole "It's fake and gay" routine, so i showed him the Cactus Jack v Terry Funk C4 barbed wire match. Changed his mind quick smart.

Utey

Coach
Test had the best right hand when he first came onto the scene. Looked brutal and was sold well.