What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your preferred centre/wing combos

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Mine are
2 Graham
3 Frawley
Hopefully Frawley is a speedster like Graham to form a potent force down one flank.

4 Mogg
5 Gafa/Nathn Smith
I think we need the lesser experienced players to partner Mogg since he is a brilliant player.

Raider_69

Post Whore
2. Graham
3. Frawley

4. Mogg
5. Gafa

smith, robbo, howell, milne, ale, PNG etc all back ups

Raider_69

Post Whore
gotta feel for him but it comes down to him, smith and gafa, unfotunatly so far this season gafa and smith have been more consistant

Raider_69

Post Whore
gotta feel for him but it comes down to him, smith and gafa, unfotunatly so far this season gafa and smith have been more consistant

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Frawley is a power winger, and although I know he's been promised a shot at the centre spot - Elliott would be crazy not to use him ala Wendell on the flank. Graham needs to play in the centres where he can use his speed to create opportunites instead of having to wait for them on the flank. Also on kick returns a power runner with a big body like Frawley is logical given Phil despite improving in this area in his handful of games in 2004, doesn't have the body to continually bring it back... yet. Put these two together Graham at centre and Frawley on the wing and you've got a potent combination.

Gafa and Mogg HAVE to be the other combination, unless Howell discovers how to use his size and speed more effectively or Smith really kicks on. Milne, Robertson, Franciscus, Mundine will have to bide their time and take an opportunity if injury strikes, because truly the four named in the run on side are by far and away our best options. But we have some good depth which is a positive.

Anonymous

Juniors
I tend to agree that Frawley is best used as a winger.

However, we signed him because he wants to play centre, so, I think we have to play him there.

So here's what I see:

2-Gaffa
3-Mogg
4-Frawley
5-Graham

Robertson and Howell first cabs off the rank.

Kris_man

Bench
Prodigiousman said:
Frawley is a power winger, and although I know he's been promised a shot at the centre spot - Elliott would be crazy not to use him ala Wendell on the flank. Graham needs to play in the centres where he can use his speed to create opportunites instead of having to wait for them on the flank. Also on kick returns a power runner with a big body like Frawley is logical given Phil despite improving in this area in his handful of games in 2004, doesn't have the body to continually bring it back... yet. Put these two together Graham at centre and Frawley on the wing and you've got a potent combination.
- Couldn't agree more there.
- I can't see Elliot choosing the erratic Phil Graham over the more consistent and boring Smiths and Robertsons.
- Here's mine:
2.N Smith (Gafa for mine can stay at 5/8, or use his versatility off the bench.)
3.Mogg
4.Phil Graham
5.Frawley

Frawley WILL PLAY CNETER. thats why he came here!!!!!!

1. Schif
2. Smith
3. Mogg
4. Frawley
5. Graham

14. Gafa - Mr Versitile

Prodigiousman

Juniors
I wonder if that same logic (re: why he signed to play centre) applied when Travis Norton signed with the Cowboys.

He was promised 5/8, yet is now playing lock and the Cowboys just signed Johnathan Thurston.

I'm sure Frawley WAS given the incentive of a vacant centre spot but I can assure you right now that won't hold didly at the selection table come the new season. He'll have to earn his centre spot, but is far better suited to the wing.

But I admit that my above reasoning about selection table might not completely apply in Canberra, given the Boogers saga that stretched on for far too long!

budz

Juniors
But wasnt one of the reasons that Frawley was coming to Canberra is so that he can play in the centres?

2. Graham
3. Mogg

4. Frawley
5. Gafa

I think Graham and Mogg form a much better combination than Frawley/Graham, I mean they worked well together a few weeks ago. Plus Gaf and Frawley can switch positions in certain positions if needed, because Gaf is capable as a centre as well.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
2. Graham
3. Mogg

4. Frawley
5. Gafa

I think Graham and Mogg form a much better combination than Frawley/Graham, I mean they worked well together a few weeks ago. Plus Gaf and Frawley can switch positions in certain positions if needed, because Gaf is capable as a centre as well.

I hate to say this, but I think that you can put down a lot of what Graham does to Adam Mogg.

Also, I'd rather see Graham in the centres by the same logic as Prodigiousman:

Prodigiousman said:
Graham needs to play in the centres where he can use his speed to create opportunites instead of having to wait for them on the flank.

However, I think they have to play Frawley in the centres because that's about the only reason (other than money maybe) that he signed - to play in the centres. If he doesn't, I think he will be less happy and probably won't play as well.

Many will disagree but I think that Graham is a liability in defence in the centres. Yes he would have a better opportunity to come up with the intercept, but he's not as big and strong as Frawley or Mogg and therefore often he doesn't shut down the play like he should... some people just fend him off and he's left arm-grabbing. At the wing he's somewhat sheltered in defence while he still has the occassional opportunity for an intercept, and his speed is utilised properly. That's his best position IMHO.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
The point I'm trying to emphasis people is that a 'promise' in July 2004, does not mean Elliott HAS to follow through with that for all of 2005.

Dean Byrne was probably promised a shot at the halfback job at Souths for 2004, yet he's playing off the bench in reserve grade. Still getting paid far more $$$ than he would've at St.George, but that promise is hardly being fulfilled.

Just don't get sucked in by all the reports about promises etc, at the end of the day a coach will pick his team as he sees fit, if he starts getting influenced by management/player politics then he won't have a job much longer.

Like i said earlier - this didn't apply for far too long with Boogers!

Raider_69

Post Whore
I concur with IBG
Graham is a liability oin defence at centre, at winger he has his best defencive help, the sideline, he can afford to show them the line and back himself to catch and drag them out

Frawley is a much stronger defender and a bigger bloke to get around, he and graham should form a very nice partnership