What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Preferred Team For Round 1.

Sugar

Bench
Gee_Up said:
Frankly I'd be not re-signing any of these guys off contract until mid year when we can evaluate them properly.

Champion is built like and plays like a no.1 why on earth are they letting him sit in the 6 jersey in PL? he isn't a halve by a long shot.
He's not to flash under the high ball either......maybe the centres is the go

Gee_Up

Juniors
Sugar said:
He's not to flash under the high ball either......maybe the centres is the go

Maybe.. Gordon has nice skills but he is slow at times. If we aren't going to chase a Folau type player off contract we need to give Champion/Paulson more time in firsts to see if they can cut it for 2009 when Vagana leaves..

Plenty of questions will be answered this season that's for sure.

My Updated Updated Team: (Round 1) and 23 man best squad

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Yileen Gordon
5. Shannon Hegarty
6. Ben Rogers
7. Craig Wing
8. Scott Geddes
9. Issac Luke
10. Roy Asotasi (c)
11. Luke Stuart
12. David Kidwell (c)
13. John Sutton

14. George Ndaira (Our New Addition)
15. Jaiman Lowe
16. Dean Widders
17. Michael Greenfield

18. Beau Falloon
19. Eddy Pettybourne
20. Shannon McPherson
21. Sam Huihahau
22. David Faalogo
23. Eddie Paea

**David Faalogo excluded from the main squad due to Suspension
-----------------------------------

Gee_Up

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:
we have a Folau type player, he goes by the name of Sam Huihahau...

My Updated Team: (Round 1) and 22 man best squad

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Yileen Gordon
5. Shannon Hegarty
6. Ben Rogers
7. Craig Wing
8. Scott Geddes
9. Issac Luke
10. Roy Asotasi (c)
11. Luke Stuart
12. David Kidwell (c)
13. John Sutton

14. Eddie Paea
15. Jaiman Lowe
16. Dean Widders
17. Michael Greenfield

18. Beau Falloon
19. Eddy Pettybourne
20. Shannon McPherson
21. Sam Huihahau
22. David Faalogo

Big wrap for a kid who hasn't played first grade mate..

Dave Q

Coach
Beau was called upon to stick his thumb in the dyke in 2006 and the poor youngster, clearly just wasnt up for it. It was the rugby league version of vietnam for some those kids. They showed tremendous courage under fire.

We didnt see him feature too much in 2007, but he had some pretty solid games for the bears.

I cant imagine any other player working as hard as him to get into the top-grade in 2008.

Remembering his bravery, and taking into account his enthusiasm and committment to Souths, it would bring a tear to my eye to see him jog on.

And it seems to me, that day will come.

Just love that avatar Gee. At the time, I was behind Anasta shaking my head at his tackle.

It was obviously illegal.

I'm betting Braith will come off in a stretcher in Round 1.

The Roosters should advertise it as his last NRL appearance!

lsta5838

Juniors
From a Panthers fan...

1. Merritt
2. Talanoa
3. Vagana
4. Gordon
5. Hegarty (reluctant)
6. Rogers
7. Wing
8. Geddes
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Kidwell
12. Stuart
13. Sutton
14. Widders (super sub)
15. Fa'alogo
16. Manukafoa
17. Greenfield

Dave Q

Coach

The fullback war is a battle royale!

A full and wholesome 18% of our enwisened and astute panel have selected Fetuli.

I have included those Panthers fans as we are an inclusive forum.

The rest appear to have pencilled in young Nathan.

Anyway, its a joy to have these two remarkable players on offer.

"Nathan Merritt can do things no other footballer can do."

Jason Taylor December 2006.

BBKing777

Juniors
Hi all, new here but long time supporter.
My team is as follows:
1.Merritt (the only choice really)
2.Talonoa (he will have a blinder this year)
3.Vagana (experience)
4.Gordon (a bit slow but good defensively)
5.Hegarty (only cause I havent seen any of the younger guys)
6.Rogers (only cause I dont think Paea is ready yet and he has a big kicking game
and maybe Wing will bring the best out of him
)
7.Wing
8.Greenfield (ended the year strongly and deserves the start)
9.Smith/Issac (this is a dicy one, I like Bully but I feel his impact off the bench is deadly
to opposing defences. Smith will play more a utility role I think
)
10.Roy (the man needs no justification)
11.Kidwell (Will be ready to remove some scalps)
12.Stuart/Frog (Always puts in 110% and will be a good consistant starter)(Frog will have a good year as he has alot to make up after he comes back from suspention)
13.Sutton (needs a big season, and I feel he will deliver this year)

14.Widders (needs to find that dangerous form off the bench)
15.Nelson (A man mountain and needs to get a bit of bite in his runs, It could be a big year for him)
16.Smith/Issac (refer to above)
17.Lowe/Stuart

Shorter interchanges will make a big difference to all sides and I think with Roy able to do 80mins we are in good stead
and thats why I would like Issac off the bench as he was carving them up with 12 interchanges can you imagine
what he would do with 10.
Our outside backs are our weak point in attack but they make up for it defensively.
Wing is the one who will be directing the team and that will be good to see after so many halves that couldnt direct a childerns crossing.
Thanks BBKing777

Big Mick

Referee
From a Panther:

1. Fetuli Talanoa, 2. Nathan Merritt, 3. Nigel Vagana, 4. Buddy Gordon, 5. Sam Huihahau, 6. Craig Wing, 7. Eddie Paea, 8. Roy Asotasi, 9. Issac Luke, 10. Luke Stuart, 11. David Kidwell, 12. John Sutton, 13. Ben Rogers
14. Michael Greenfield, 15. Scott Geedes, 16. Manese Manukafoa, 17. Dean Widders

One of Stuart, Greenfield, Geedes or Rogers to drop off when Fa'alogo returns.

Also expecting Pettybourne to take over One of those or Manukafoa this year.

Big Mick © said:
From a Panther:

1. Fetuli Talanoa, 2. Nathan Merritt, 3. Nigel Vagana, 4. Buddy Gordon, 5. Sam Huihahau, 6. Craig Wing, 7. Eddie Paea, 8. Roy Asotasi, 9. Issac Luke, 10. Luke Stuart, 11. David Kidwell, 12. John Sutton, 13. Ben Rogers
14. Michael Greenfield, 15. Scott Geedes, 16. Manese Manukafoa, 17. Dean Widders

One of Stuart, Greenfield, Geedes or Rogers to drop off when Fa'alogo returns.

Also expecting Pettybourne to take over One of those or Manukafoa this year.

Eddie Paea isnt ready for first grade mate, his defence is no-where near up to scratch. he may get away with playing off the bench, i dont really know what other utility options we have, to replace Paea that is readier for the first grade than him.

Geddes is rubbish, although he has experience, hence why i put him in the starting line-up, when Faalogo returns i have no doubts that that Geddes will drop back.

out of Manuokafoa and Greenfield, I think Manuokafoa is probably the more stable player to be starting with at this stage. so thats another option.

Big Mick

Referee
Paea wont be ready until you let him adjust

Its either him or Luke Capewell...

Wing isn't a halfback...he's capable of being a great five-eight...but if he is your ONLY option at half you are in trouble.

IMO either Paea or Capewell need to be there.

Rogers isn't stable or consistent enough to be a five-eight either.

On Geedes...he is apparantly training the house down looking for that spot my sources tell me.

Apparantly, him, Greenfield and Lowe have shown absolute urgency whereas manukafoa is flying by...just what i'm hearing.

Big Mick © said:

Wing isn't a halfback...he's capable of being a great five-eight...but if he is your ONLY option at half you are in trouble.

On Geedes...he is apparantly training the house down looking for that spot my sources tell me.

Apparantly, him, Greenfield and Lowe have shown absolute urgency whereas manukafoa is flying by...just what i'm hearing.

both Paea & Capewell are up and comers, they probably wont be up to scratch until mid-season though.

I forgot about Jezza Smith, so Paea will probably play U/20s for a little bit in the halves with Capewell, a deadly combination.

Jezza Smith will play off the bench, and when Luke needs rest, Smith can either slot into hooker, or go to halfback with Wing going to dummy half.

Craig Wing played well at halfback with Braith Anasta late last season, so i wouldnt say he isnt a halfback, but it will be interesting to see how he gels early on with Rogers.

Ben Rogers is a lock-forward i agree, but when Faalogo comes back, Sutto will go to lock, leaving Rogers with no-where to go, and Sutto is way to big to play 1st Receiver,

Rogers doesnt have the versatility imo to prove a dangerous threat from the bench.

Dave Q

Coach
Big Mick © said:

I dont think Capewell has made his FG debut yet, big wraps on the kid but I wouldnt be throwing him into the big time just yet.

Rogers is overcoming his affliction of inconsistency. Last year was his best ever. If he continues on that upwards trajectory he could manage 5/8 sooner than we would expect. He has some neat tricks and is an emerging playmaker.

Geddes is capable of anything.

Newcastlerabbit and I are both very excited about Greenfield. If he can stay injury-free and keep playing well, he's a dark horse for a latter origin berth.

Last year Lowe turned himself into a footballer! Who knows what he will do next year. It seems to me he is good listener and learner.

Nelson could be better than Asotasi.

Nice to see Big Mick's thoughts.

Sugar

Bench
Dave Q said:
I dont think Capewell has made his FG debut yet, big wraps on the kid but I wouldnt be throwing him into the big time just yet.

Rogers is overcoming his affliction of inconsistency. Last year was his best ever. If he continues on that upwards trajectory he could manage 5/8 sooner than we would expect. He has some neat tricks and is an emerging playmaker.

Geddes is capable of anything.

Newcastlerabbit and I are both very excited about Greenfield. If he can stay injury-free and keep playing well, he's a dark horse for a latter origin berth.

Last year Lowe turned himself into a footballer! Who knows what he will do next year. It seems to me he is good listener and learner.

Nelson could be better than Asotasi.

Nice to see Big Mick's thoughts.
On summertime league the other day Rogers stated "This is the first full pre-season i have done since i arrived".

He also stated he has been carrying injury for the past few years.

He is injury free and down to his ideal playing weight

Will the real Ben Rogers please stand up and show us if Richo was right about the most talented ball player in the game:?

My Updated Updated Team: (Round 1) and 23 man best squad

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Yileen Gordon
5. Shannon Hegarty
6. Ben Rogers
7. Craig Wing
8. Scott Geddes
9. Issac Luke
10. Roy Asotasi (c)
11. Luke Stuart
12. David Kidwell (c)
13. John Sutton

14. George Ndaira (Our New Addition)
15. Jaiman Lowe
16. Dean Widders
17. Michael Greenfield

18. Beau Falloon
19. Eddy Pettybourne
20. Shannon McPherson
21. Sam Huihahau
22. David Faalogo
23. Eddie Paea

Dave Q

Coach
Sugar said:
On summertime league the other day Rogers stated "This is the first full pre-season i have done since i arrived".

He also stated he has been carrying injury for the past few years.

He is injury free and down to his ideal playing weight

Will the real Ben Rogers please stand up and show us if Richo was right about the most talented ball player in the game:?

Rogers is as real as Reggie!

Dave Q

Coach
Champs to centre and SFB
A few lucky guesses early in 08 i should email Richo for a selectors job;-)

I was selling out champs early last year. Then he became a rabbit kissing hero and all of that. He went from unfashionable kid to powerhouse back.
I became proud of him.

But before, I was a bastard, I made a mistake and I am sorry.

Sorry Beau, I mean it mate.

But Ive always been loyal to Hegs.

I'm sure he will come good one day!

My reputation is riding on Hegs coming around like he was doing early last year. He was astonishing, I was thrilled. Then he got injured and that was it.

"Get out of the way Aso, I want a shot of Hegs!" and Roy smiled and obliged.

They wear the red and green.