What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your side

IFR33K

Coach
If BA doesnt drop or change things bar the Niakuore in for Davey and DBrown injury he has lost me....
Sivo surely goes for a spell

IMO he’s leaving his run for dropping players and experimenting a little late. With the semis approaching, would he want to experiment this far out? IMO should of tried something two weeks ago

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
He is one of dumbest edge defenders I have ever seen. No feel for what the opposition is doing.
Yep he may well be, however in my opinion that comes with a lack of experience and he won't get that watching from the dugout. EGJ constantly made shit decisions in defense and he grew up in the same house as one of the best defensive wingers in the history of the game.

I will happily put a lazy $50 down that Sivo doesn't get dropped this week - any takers?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep he may well be, however in my opinion that comes with a lack of experience and he won't get that watching from the dugout. EGJ constantly made shit decisions in defense and he grew up in the same house as one of the best defensive wingers in the history of the game.

I will happily put a lazy $50 down that Sivo doesn't get dropped this week - any takers?
No chance (for the reasons @IFR33K has outlined...).

IFR33K

Coach

I think the only reason sivo doesn’t get dropped is because of his try scoring record, and the fact fergo has zip.

If fergo had the tries and sivo zip, sivo would of lost his spot ages ago.

Happy MEel

First Grade

I agree that he won’t get dropped...doesn’t make it the right call though. The only thing he really brings is a strong bash and barge for the try line. I think we can cover that and improve in all of the other areas. Perhaps Sivo needs a spell for the rest of the year and learn how to defend in the pre-season. He has become too much of a liability and his continued inclusion is doing more harm to us than good.

Same goes with Waqa

IFR33K

Coach
I agree that he won’t get dropped...doesn’t make it the right call though. The only thing he really brings is a strong bash and barge for the try line. I think we can cover that and improve in all of the other areas. Perhaps Sivo needs a spell for the rest of the year and learn how to defend in the pre-season. He has become too much of a liability and his continued inclusion is doing more harm to us than good.

Same goes with Waqa

Sivo jams in. Waqa jams up. I think they may be doing what the coach wants. (And no, I’m not bashing the coach)

Eelementary

Post Whore
It looks clear to me that Waqa Blake jamming up is a coaching ploy, and it works sometimes - I'm no expert, but it seems that the intent is to have a tall body jam up out wide to stutter the opposition attack.

Blake's height is important, because it makes it a little harder for teams to pass over his head.

This tactic works sometimes - Blake disturbs the attack, and it allows enough time for Matterson, or Ferguson, to make the tackle, and stop the play.

The problem is if he jams too far up - which he often does -, he leaves a jagged hole in our line, and our other edge defenders can't cover it quickly enough.

Seems to me that Blake's timing on the play is a little off - he needs to practice it at training more.

But Thursday's game notwithstanding, having an excellent defender like Matterson on that edge will definitely help.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My people are now saying it will be Matterson @ 6.
Strong defensively, goes 80 minutes, match fit, knows the 6 role.

If true, we could do worse.

I guess Davey moves into Matto's role, which I like.

Who replaces Davey on the bench?

eels_fan

First Grade
Gutho
G Jennings
MJ
Dunster
Fergo
Field
Moses
RCG
Mahoney