What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Storm 2012 team.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
Hi guys new poster here. Massive Storm fan and long time lurker decided to finally join. Anyway here's me best 17:

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin O'Neill
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Jason Ryles
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Sika Manu
13. Ryan Hoffman

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Maurice Blair
16. Bryan Norrie
17. Micheal Greenfield

Last edited:

Butters

Bench
1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
3. Maurice Blair
4. Dane Nielson
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Bryan Norrie
9. Cam Smith
10. Jason Ryles
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Sika Manu

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Rory Kostjasyn
16. Jesse Bromwich
17. Jaiman Lowe

Best team right there. Do the rest of yous even want Melbourne to succeed?

Billythekid

First Grade
1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
3. Maurice Blair
4. Dane Nielson
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Bryan Norrie
9. Cam Smith
10. Jason Ryles
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Sika Manu

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Rory Kostjasyn
16. Jesse Bromwich
17. Jaiman Lowe

Playing an error prone player like Waqa when you have as much depth in your outside backs as we do seems like an unnecessary risk.

Jaiman Lowe also shouldn't be on this team. In fact i dare say that if you are namking him in front Greenfield you are the one who doesn't want this team to succeed.

little_aza

Juniors
1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
3. Maurice Blair
4. Dane Nielson
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Bryan Norrie
9. Cam Smith
10. Jason Ryles
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Sika Manu

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Rory Kostjasyn
16. Jesse Bromwich
17. Jaiman Lowe

Yep, and that's why:
Greenfield > Lowe
O'Neill / Chambers > Waqa

Noa

First Grade
.....not too mention a bench of kostjasyn, hinchcliffe and Lowe. That is beyond ordinary.

Billythekid

First Grade
.....not too mention a bench of kostjasyn, hinchcliffe and Lowe. That is beyond ordinary.

I struggle to find a spot on the bench for kostjasyn especially with hinchcliffe on the bench. Lowe is just beyond ordinary and really shouldn't be in the top grade. I don't mind if he is a depth player but he does not belong on our best team.

LESStar58

Referee
If Sisa Waqa is a better proposition for a wing spot than Justin Oneill then I'm a Rhodes Scholar! :lol:

LESStar58

Referee
I struggle to find a spot on the bench for kostjasyn especially with hinchcliffe on the bench. Lowe is just beyond ordinary and really shouldn't be in the top grade. I don't mind if he is a depth player but he does not belong on our best team.

I have Hinchy in my starting 13 and can kind of agree with you but I wouldn't see any disadvantage having him and Rory on the bench. I see Rory as being the "utility" that Hinchy was when he first came here as he can offer that extra dimension in attack (look how Cronk has been used in the past 2 Origin series while Lockyer and JT were also both on the field. I see Rory being a similar player) while Ryan gets thrown in to the fray to make tackles and share the workload in the forwards.

Saying that though, I reckon Bellamy will opt for 3 props and Lowrie on the bench. One of those props will be Ryles and sadly we have very little else to offer although I'm yet to see Greenfield but from what I'm hearing he's not half bad.

LESStar58

Referee
I would think that Greenfield will be in the top 17.
He is a very good player who should thrive under Bellamy.

A Dragons mate of mine has raps on him. I've not seen him so can't comment but my buddy's word is as good as any. Excellent judge of talent.

Noa

First Grade
I have Hinchy in my starting 13 and can kind of agree with you but I wouldn't see any disadvantage having him and Rory on the bench. I see Rory as being the "utility" that Hinchy was when he first came here as he can offer that extra dimension in attack (look how Cronk has been used in the past 2 Origin series while Lockyer and JT were also both on the field. I see Rory being a similar player) while Ryan gets thrown in to the fray to make tackles and share the workload in the forwards.

Saying that though, I reckon Bellamy will opt for 3 props and Lowrie on the bench. One of those props will be Ryles and sadly we have very little else to offer although I'm yet to see Greenfield but from what I'm hearing he's not half bad.

Makes the bench too small imo, we really struggled to get on top of teams last year using that line-up. And I dont think you can compare what Cronk can offer to what Kostjasyn can. Totally different type of players, Rory is a good 9 and thats it imo, offers nothing in a playmaking role and not much more in the backrow.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
I'm with you Micheal, we need size on the bench this year, it's always been our one weakness. Hopefully between Ryles, Vave and Greenfield we can find some good metres.

LESStar58

Referee
So "size matters" is what you're saying? I was aiming for versatility myself but let's see what the coach goes with....

Billythekid

First Grade
So "size matters" is what you're saying? I was aiming for versatility myself but let's see what the coach goes with....

But what versatility does he actually offer? If smith gets injured or needs a rest we have Hinchcliffe. If one of the havles go down we can just move smith into the halves and Hinchcliffe into hooker (i wouldn't want kostjasynin the halves).

He doesn't really offer much utility for mine.

Butters

Bench

Lowe was out best prop off the bench last year. He at least deserves to retain his spot for the opening rounds.

Kostjasyn & Hinchcliffe working together off the bench worked for us last year. No reason why it wouldn't work again. Those 2 working in tandem provides great spark when they come on and the other teams forwards are starting to get tired, hitting the opposition team with speed around the middle rather than just more of the same if another forward were to come on instead.

2 props is enough for the bench anyway.

abpanther

Staff member
From a fantasy NRL perspective, just wondering what do you think are the odds of Justin O'Neil starting from Day 1?

Thanks

G.I.

Juniors
50/50. duffie and nielsen will be the first two centres/wingers picked, then craig will have to figure out who he picks out of blair, chambers, quinn, waqa and o'neill for the last two spots.

craig has said juz has struggled with the physicality of first-grade the last couple of years so i think he may start in nsw cup. craig loves quinny and his aggression which is why he kept getting picked ahead of juz last year.

duffie, chambers, blair, nielsen will be the first four picked imo. the rest are unlucky.

IMO O'Neill should start over Quinn...Quinn was average last year. Dropped passes and he could not defend the high ball. He looks past his best and we need to go with youth and speed which O'Neill offers.

Billythekid

First Grade
IMO O'Neill should start over Quinn...Quinn was average last year. Dropped passes and he could not defend the high ball. He looks past his best and we need to go with youth and speed which O'Neill offers.

I don't think there is any doubt about that especially since we will probably be offloading Quinn soon. It's a shame to see an experienced player like that not in the top grade but he just isn't as good as our other options.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I'm wondering if there might actually be one, or even two :crazy:bolters from our recently promoted young guns

Latest posts