What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Team for Round 1

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
I know it was only a trial but what I witnessed yesterday was nothing short of pathetic football from some ordinary footballers coached by some flip. If we are to be any hope whatsoever, the team has to resemble something like this. (Until Tiquela, TNT and Taumata are thrown into the equation).

1. Mullaney
2. Davis
3. Pritchard
4. Lawrence
5. Ryan
6. Benji
7. Moltzen
8. Gibbs
9. Farah
10.Galloway
11.Payten
12. Ellis
13. Dwyer

14. Cayless
15. A. Fafita
16. Woods
17. A. Shirnack

* Moltz at the back is a joke. Mullaney is the best 1 at the club (I don't care what size he is)....
* Although Ashyford hasn't done much wrong, I wounldnt mind seeing the Magpie combination in Pritchard/Davis. Pritchard is faster than Ashyford.
*Forwards in the side I've chose are a good mix of youth and old farts.

5 debutons is far too many I think, what if 4 of them have shakey starts, Manly will run out to a 20-0 lead, game over. Not to mention a lot of guys with little fg experience.

1. Brown
2. Ryan
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Davis
6. Marshall
7. Moltzen
8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. Gibbs
11. Ellis
12. Heighington
13. Fulton

14. Moors
15. Cayless
16. Payten
17. Mataka

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
5 debutons is far too many I think, what if 4 of them have shakey starts, Manly will run out to a 20-0 lead, game over. Not to mention a lot of guys with little fg experience.

1. Brown
2. Ryan
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Davis
6. Marshall
7. Moltzen
8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. Gibbs
11. Ellis
12. Heighington
13. Fulton

14. Moors
15. Cayless
16. Payten
17. Mataka

I know it's early stages but from what I saw yesterday, I'd get rid of Brown and Moors for starters from your side. I think Dwyer is the future in the back row.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
its probably too early as yet but I reckon Flanagan has done OK with his opportunities so far. If not the first game I'd like to see him on the interchange bench by game 3 or 4 if he keeps it up.

MacDougall

First Grade
1. Mitch Brown
2. Beau Ryan
3. Blake Ayshford
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Rhys Pritchard
6. Benji Marshall
7. Tim Moltzen
8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Bryce Gibbs
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Todd Payten
13. Liam Fulton

14. Mark Flanagan
15. Jason Cayless
16. Junior Moors
17. Arana Taumata

Though I know that he'll play Heighington. I wouldn't. I'd be punting the worst performed forward each week and rotating.

For instance, if the crappiest forward on park is Payten. Round 2 he's gone and in comes Heighington. If it's Gibbs, he's gone, Cayless to starting and Gower to bench. Something like that. Need to strap a rocket to some bums.

westie

Bench
Davis isn't allowed to play outside backs because he isn't mobile enough and can't tackle. Naturally, the dude he was fast enough to make look amateur in defence is ahead of him as is Ayshford - a perfect example of slow and useless.

Eddie.

Bench
Jake Mullaney is an interesting one. I know its a huge step up from the Toyota Cup to First Grade, and I know he is only a little guy. However I think he has a lot of potential.

I watched a fair few of the 20's games last season, and his football instincts and positional instincts from fullback were first class. Not to mention his blinding speed. To say he was a level above the Toyota Cup would be an understatement, he was about 5 levels above it.

Obviously physically he would be tested. However sometimes you find a diamond in the rough, like a Preston Campbell, Bowen or Brett Hodgson. Guys that get belted but are brilliant footballers never the less. Not to mention the fact that he would be playing with better playmakers and linebreakers.

I would love to see him get a start at the back against the Sharks. Im really not a big fan of Moltzen in the 1, I would of rather kept Gallant. Someone with the reading and instncts of a fullback.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I don't care if Mullaney isn't ready, I'd give him a go. Moltzen isn't a fullbacl and the likes of Brown and Daniella are f**king reserve graders who couldn't crack it at the likes of Cronulla and Penrith.

Our backline looks really weak on paper without Tuqiri and Tuiaki.

gronkathon

First Grade
1. Taumata
2. Brown
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Pritchard

6. Marshall
7. Moltzen

8. Gibbs
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Heighno
12. Moors
13. Ellis

14. Fulton
15. Cayless
16. Shirnack
17. Payten

RoMo

Juniors
1. Mullaney
2. Not ryan, brown, daniela or fitzy
3. lawrence
4.ayshford
5. See 2
6. benj
7. Moltzen
8. KG
9. need you ask
10. Cayless
11. Ellis
12. Hino
13. Fulton

14. tomato (could really go well early season against teams not yet fit)
15. moors
16. woods
17. bike shorts

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I don't care if Mullaney isn't ready, I'd give him a go. Moltzen isn't a fullbacl and the likes of Brown and Daniella are f**king reserve graders who couldn't crack it at the likes of Cronulla and Penrith.

Our backline looks really weak on paper without Tuqiri and Tuiaki.
Too f**king right.

Moltzen was constantly out of position, didn't attack the ball, tried to hand the ball off on the majority of his kick returns and ran back half-heartedly on the rare occassions he did return the ball. Trial schmial, he played that way at the back last year so he shouldn't be there round 1. I don't mind him as a footballer but a fullback he ain't. We will constantly be starting our sets on the back-foot with him at the back and his presence there does more damage than Lui at half ever could.

As for Brown, he was passable. He isn't going to set the world on fire and at full strength I can't find room for him. Daniella is just sh*t. sh*t sh*t sh*t. Just pointless signings, both of them. Speaking of pointless (or worthless, useless etc), Fitzhenry should NEVER be allowed to play. I don't care how much some of you talk him up, based on what he did playing touch footy last year, his NRL value was on display yet again on Sunday.

I'd be fairly comfortable with MacDougall's side come round 1, although not sure I'd start all of Gibbs, Payten & Fulton - not enough go forward if they're all on the field at the same time (although the ruck defence should be fairly solid). Be tempted to through Flanagan into the fire and see how he goes, certainly looked the part on Sunday, and moreso than Hino or Fulton.

gronkathon

First Grade
I would pick Taumata ahead of Mullaney at this stage.

AJ is just as quick if not half a yard quicker than Jake. He is a far superior defender and has the natural flair needed for a fullback to create something out of nothing.

Jakes time will come but I want to see him play State Cup for half a season at least to test his mettle in a competition that is more defense orientated than the Touch footy NYC. Perfect example is Darren Nichols. Talented footballer for his age but looks bog average playing State Cup let alone NRL.

That and thinking in advance in regard to salary cap Mullaney would have significant bonuses loaded into his contract for each game in the top grade. AJ is on a bare bones deal because of his problems etc.

RoMo

Juniors
Darren Nicholls looked like Joey Johns when he carved our touch side up at Timbrell Park