What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team's highlights & lowlights of 2003

I thought maybe this could be a good little topic to start, now that the regular season is over, like a Year in Review type thing. Let's see...

Highlights

Most Gutsy Win: Which game stood out in your mind which your team won under some trying circumstances? For mine it has to be when the Raiders took on Manly and we played 71 minutes with only 12 men on the field, and we played with only 2 fresh reserves for the 2nd half, and we still beat the Eagles by 51-16.

Best Win: Which game did your team win that you thought was their best performance all year? For the Raiders, I thought it was against the Bulldogs in Round 6 or 7 I think, we won by 6 points. We were undefeated at that stage, and everyone thought we were pretenders, but that win proved that we weren't.

Most Enjoyable Win: Which win did you savour the most? For me. probably when we thrashed Parramatta. :D

Game That You Weren't Expected to Win, But Did: Which game did everyone write you off for, but you still won? For the Raiders, probably against the Bulldogs two weeks ago.

Your Team's Try of the Year: Probably the 2 x 100 metre tries the Raiders scored against Parra, they were awesome.

Lowlights

Most Disappointing Loss: You know, that game where you started to scream obsceneties and hurled the remote at the TV, only after screaming for your team to stop playing like a bunch of sheilas. ;-) For the Raiders it had to be either one of our losses to Melbourne, they were just tragic.

Most Gutwrenching Loss: What game did you think you had in the bag but ended up losing in the final minutes? Obviously this would fall under the Raiders match against the Roosters about 6 weeks ago where we led all match - until the Roosters scored in the final minute.

Hmm... that's all I can think of lowlights, I think I've tried to supress all negative thoughts about the Raiders. :lol:

Feel free to add your responses and other categories for your club, it should be an interesting read.[/b]

Raider_69

Post Whore
Lowlights
========

Win you should have lost: that one game that you should have lost but some how scraped home. For the raiders it has to be the game against the Tigers

Southernsaint

Staff member
Highlights:

* Returning to Kogarah & smashing The Scum.

* Doing "the double" over Brisbane for the first time in my memory.

* Unearthing a star of the future in Brett Firman

* The great win against Easts on ANZAC Day

* Thommo taking a massive pay-cut to help the club re-sign other players

* The Scum losing by 70 points & having two players sent off

Lowlights:

* The capitulations to Wests Tigers, Manly, North Queensland & The Scum - 8 points gone begging

* The fact that we've endured another year of incompetency from our board & training staff

* Missing the finals

Now, because there are more highlights than lowlights don't think that I'm satisfied with the season Saints have had. The highlights were just small glimmers of happiness in a very poor season by my standards. Everyone involved in preparing the first grade team for it's matches each week should be on notice next season. Another 2003 will not be tolerated.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Jimbo

Immortal
Highlights

Most Gutsy Win: North Queensland. We weren't given much hope without Noddy, but the lads played brilliantly on the night.

Best Win: Any win was a good win this year, but the wins over Newcastle, Brisbane and the Merged Scum were highlights

Most Enjoyable Win: Merged Scum at Shark Park, Round 23. Mostly because they needed it so much to keep their slim finals hopes alive

Game That You Weren't Expected to Win, But Did: Newcastle at Marathon, especially after Gallen was marched. What a night that was!!

Your Team's Try of the Year: Rnd 26, Kimmorley marches straight through the line and finds Bailey. Looked great.

Lowlights

Most Disappointing Loss: Merged Scum, Round 8. Any loss against that mob shows how ordinary you're going, the good thing is it doesnt happen very often...
And before all you Fagons supporters start crapping on about the Parramatta game, it wasn't a real game of football, and therefore doesn't count. The game lasted 46 minutes, and we lost 24-4.

Most Gutwrenching Loss: Melbourne, Round 1. Canberra at Shark Park as well.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:
Most Disappointing Loss: Merged Scum, Round 8. Any loss against that mob shows how ordinary you're going, the good thing is it doesnt happen very often...
And before all you Fagons supporters start crapping on about the Parramatta game, it wasn't a real game of football, and therefore doesn't count. The game lasted 46 minutes, and we lost 24-4.

Oh, boo-bloody-hoo....

YOU LOST BY 70 points - read it & weep :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://nrl.rleague.com/news/index.php?id=13403

Cheers,
Ben S.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Highlights:

Best win: Probably the win over Brisbane at Suncorp, everything went right on the night, our defence was superb and it kept our finals hopes alive

Most enjoyable win: Beating the Dragons 36-10 and also defeating the Joey Knights 30-12, before I couldnt remember the last time we beat the Knights with Johns in the team.

Unexpected wins: Both games against the Warriors and the Cowboys in two weeks. Twice Parramatta was down on the scoreboard with not much left on the clock. Down 26-12 against the Warriors with 7 minutes remaining they caught back to win 28-26. Down 22-6 with 12 minutes to go they caught back 24-22 including a miracle goal from Witt.

Best try: Hard to say but I thought Jamie Lyons big bust down the sideline against Manly set up by Dunley.

Player of the year: Jamie Lyon

Buy of the year: Shayne Dunley

Lowlights:

Worst performance: It was hard to choose between the Roosters game where they were beaten 44-12 at Parramatta and the Melbourne game after they were thrashed 50-12 down in Melbourne. The two games against Canberra were very ordinary it was as if Parra just didnt wanna play.

Grantwhy

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Unexpected wins: Both games against the Warriors and the Cowboys in two weeks. Twice Parramatta was down on the scoreboard with not much left on the clock. Down 26-12 against the Warriors with 7 minutes remaining they caught back to win 28-26. Down 22-6 with 12 minutes to go they caught back 24-22 including a miracle goal from Witt.

Was the miracle goal the one that was outside the posts ;-)

or the one that came afterwards?

Paullyboy

Coach
HIGHLIGHTS: the team played like guns all year and put respect back into the Canberra jersey

+

Ruben Wiki, i dont care what people say, he is the best second rower in the game.

LOWLIGhTS: The pathetic and abysmal display Canberra save for every match against the storm, if Canberra had played any other team tonight they would have turned up ready to play. Tonight I took off my jersey at half time and sat in the pub bare chested. I was home 20 minutes into the 2nd half

The ficcle canberra public, for freaks sake you fence sitters - go and support our team!!!! Our crowds have been embarrasing and tonights farce just added salt to the wound.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Parra's Highlight of the year??

74-4 :lol: :lol: , Crounulla simply didn't have any answer to Parra's attacking flair :lol: :lol:

Parra's Lowlight??

Where do we start??, Oh yes..when Melbourne beat us 50-12...if it had been say 32-18 or something we'd probably be in the finals as the pressure in the final game wouldn't have been as much!!

Best Player??

The world's best centre Jamie Lyon :D

skeepe

Immortal
Most Gutsy Win Panthers 28 vs Raiders 40 - down 28-10 with 30 minutes to go, the mighty men in green rallied with the captain off injured to score 30 unanswered points and win the match

Best Win Manly 16 vs Raiders 51 - watching my most hated team demolished by 12 men was pure heaven

Game That You Weren't Expected to Win, But Did Bulldogs 16 vs Raiders 21

Try of the Year The ones that stick out for me are Terry Martin's try vs Panthers at Penrith and Schif's solo effort against the Bunnies

Most Disappointing Loss Raiders 28 vs Cowboys 34 - we should have won that game. We just should have won it.

Most Gutwrenching Loss Roosters 20 vs Raiders 16 - seeing Hegarty score that try right in front of me was the worst feeling

Win You Should Have Lost Raiders 28 vs Tigers 26 - no way we deserved to win that one. Led 16-0 after about 10 minutes before going to sleep and thinking the game was wrapped up, much like Friday night's game vs Storm

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Most Gutsy Win: Beatingthe Broncos at Ericcson after losing Lance Hohaia for the season after three minutes. One of best, and the toughest win of our season.

Best Win: 48-22 over the Dogs at the Showground on Saturday.

Most Enjoyable Win: Same as above.
Ticket to the game: $30
8 Beers during the game: $34.60
Watching the Bulldogs Army skulk out of the ground with their tails between their legs 10 minutes from full time: PRICELESS!!!

Game That You Weren't Expected to Win, But Did: Beating the Roosters at Aussie Stadium 2 weeks before the finals.

Your Team's Try of the Year: Plenty to choose from but the length of the feild effort against Souths where Paleaesina charged 60m from the kickoff was pretty hard to beat.

Lowlights

Most Disappointing Loss: Falling to pieces in the second half against a Johns-less Knights at Marathon a month ago.

Most Gutwrenching Loss: Going down to the Eels at Parra after being comfortably ahaead with 10 minutes to go.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Highlights

Most Gutsy Win: North Queensland. We weren't given much hope without Noddy, but the lads played brilliantly on the night.

Best Win: Any win was a good win this year, but the wins over Newcastle, Brisbane and the Merged Scum were highlights

Most Enjoyable Win: Merged Scum at Shark Park, Round 23. Mostly because they needed it so much to keep their slim finals hopes alive

Game That You Weren't Expected to Win, But Did: Newcastle at Marathon, especially after Gallen was marched. What a night that was!!

Your Team's Try of the Year: Rnd 26, Kimmorley marches straight through the line and finds Bailey. Looked great.

Lowlights

Also, the 31-24 loss to the Warriors. Kimmorley was back, we had two debutantes, were the better team for the majority of the match and it was 24-all with 5 minutes to go.

Most Gutwrenching Loss: Melbourne, Round 1. We led 22-0 after twenty minutes Canberra at Shark Park was also bad since we were the btter team for 70 minutes

The fact that Don Tweddle and Shaun Wessell played first grade.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Tamazoid - what's doing?? It's like you've completely copied Jimbo's post....

Always thought Scummers were devoid of original ideas - thanks for proving it!! :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Tamazoid - what's doing?? It's like you've completely copied Jimbo's post....

Always thought Scummers were devoid of original ideas - thanks for proving it!! :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

It's not like there was much to choose from!

gr8_1

Juniors
Highlights

* Beating - Saints, Roosters, Broncos, Knights, Bulldogs, and the old enemy Manly.

* The emergence of gifted young players in Marshall, Farah, Collis, Gibbs, Covell, Harrison, etc (sorry if I forgot anyone)

* Key signings for 2004 - Prince, Sattler, Payten, Hodgson, Reynolds and Graham.

* No off field dramas like previous years.

* Form over the 2nd half of the season

* The form of Premier League teams - Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies

Lowlights

* Poor form in the 1st half of the season

* Losing twice to Souths and Cowboys

* The Canberra Game (need I say more)

* Failure to date to sign Withers and Wilson.

* Poor crowds

* Once again failing to make the top 8.

JTR

Juniors
Most Gutsy Win: Round 22 v the Dragons. I think most were expecting us to get a damn good flogging and rightly so after a fairly ordinary game at home v Melbourne the week before. It was also at a critical stage of the season where we had a tough run of games and an 'upset' win was needed to give us a good shot at staying in the 8.

Best Win: Either the game mentioned above, the never say die game v the Roosters or the demolition job v the Bulldogs on Saturday. Take your pick.

Most Enjoyable Win: Many might disagree, but I found our win against the Raiders at Ericsson the most enjoyable. The team were going through a very ordinary/dull/bland (?) trot and this was the first game in quite a while that they really started playing the way we knew they were capable of.

Unexpected Win: The Dragons game again, or the second game v the Sharks (where Murphy got the runaway try at the end to seal it). Dunno why, but I was really worried about this game going into it.

Your Team's Try of the Year: Can't decide. Either the almost globe trotter-like try engineered by Faumuina (after being sent to Disneyland earlier in the game) and Tuimavavae v the Broncos at ANZ, or the try where Meli did the (totally intentional ;-) ) inside kick to Faumuina to score. Don't remember who this was against though...(Sharks maybe?)

Most Disappointing Loss: The last minute loss to Parramatta at Parramatta. We had done so well to fight back and take a good lead, only to blow it in the last 10 minutes or so.

Most Annoying Loss: Round 1 v Newcastle. We blitzed them for the better part of the game, only to have Joey take it away from us - again. Pissed me right off. The loss to the Cowboys in Townsville was a bit of a pain too.

Player of the year: MELI!!

Buy of the year: Tony Martin. Excellent centre and from what I've heard/seen a really good goal kicker.

salivor

First Grade
Brisbane Broncos

Highlights

Most Gutsy Win: You can't seperate the 3 wins against the Raiders, Roosters and the Storm backing up after Origin. All were tight tussles going right down to the last few minutes. It looked like they had finally turned the corner and thrown out the excuses but it only takes 8 losses in a row for the old Origin excuse to pop back up.

Best Win: The 24-0 thrashing of the Bulldogs in Round 11. They put their bodies on the line that night. Its that kind of commitment that gave me a glimmer of hope that we could win the competition.

Most Enjoyable Win: The win over the Bulldogs again. One of my proudest nights as a Broncos supporter. Its been a tough 3 years and its been a long time waiting to find that diamond in the rough and that night was it.

Unexpected Win: The games against Canberra in Round 14 and against the Roosters in Round 16 stand out. We don't have a great record at Bruce Stadium and against the Raiders in general and it didn't help that we were backing up from Origin in which no Raiders players took part. The match against the Roosters was after Origin again and we have a poor record against them in recent years so that victory came as a shock.

Your Team's Try of the Year: Well just two off the top of my head. The Kelly try against the Roosters in Round 6 and the DeVere try against the Dragons in Round 26 were just a couple of flashbacks to what the Broncos used to dish up in attack. Also there were a few classics in match against the Sharks in Round 3.

Lowlights

Most Disappointing Loss: Against St George in Round 26. We should've beaten them easily, we had them on the ropes at certain times. After trailing 12-0 we'd got in front 18-12 with a great try to DeVere but things went downhill quickly after that. Even at 25-24 I thought we had it in the bag.

Most Annoying Loss: Well theres a big list here but I'll narrow it down to Manly in Round 20 as we were in control coming into the final minutes and thats where the losing streak started, Wests in Round 23 as we should never have lost to them and Newcastle in Round 12 as we spoiled the opening of Lang Park.

Player of the year: Corey Parker as hes come a long way in a short time. Lockyer as usual was solid as were Webcke and Civoniceva. Also a special mention to Stu Kelly.

Buy of the year: Motu Tony. Its certainly was the high point of the weekend for Broncos fans seeing what he is capable of against Canterbury. He sparked the Warriors charge home in that match.

raidersfan

Juniors
Most Gutsy Win: I'd say against the bulldogs in round 25

Best Win: When the Raiders beat manly in RD 22 (I think)

Most Enjoyable Win: Again against the bulldogs RD25

Unexpected Win: BUlldogs RD 25

Your Team's Try of the Year: The Brad Drew try against the Roosters in RD 21 after he came off the bench.

Most Disappointing Loss: Last minute loss against the Roosters (both times)

Most Annoying Loss:Every time we lost to the Storm :eek:

Player of the year: Clinton & Joel

Latest posts