What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team's highlights & lowlights of 2003

*Paul*

Juniors
Pretty much the same as every one else
Unexpected win: Canterbury
Best win: Parramatta
Dumbest loss: Cowboys
Heartwrencher: Easts

Anonymous

Juniors
Most Gutsy Win: Probably the Broncos at Ericsson, when Hohaia went off we had pretty much every half/stand-off out injured, but everyone stood up, and it was just a really memorable match really.

Best Win: The Bulldogs game on Saturday.

Most Enjoyable Win: The Bulldogs game on Saturday, but honourable mentions to both Brisbane games, and the Roosters game.

Unexpected Win: Perhaps the Roosters game, but also the Dragons game, that was one of the few games where I really went in not expecting us to win, and we won it well in the end.

Your Team's Try of the Year: It's been a good year for us in the classic try department, most of them involving Faumuina. The Tuimavave try at ANZ will always be remembered, although more for one pass than for being a really brilliant try. I really enjoyed a couple of 70 metre efforts, one was Faumuina's solo run against the Dogs on Saturday, and the other a try scored by Brent Webb at Parramatta, where Faumuina chipped and regathered on the last tackle before offloading to Webb. Also, Faumuina's try at Ericsson against the Sharks where he caught Meli's crazy little cross-kick and pulled out his patented dummy to round Peachey. Honestly, I'm not interested in just picking out one, I'll take them all thankyou very much.

Most Disappointing Loss: Newcastle at Marathon, or Cowboys at NQ, because we just played crap.

Most Annoying Loss: Parramatta at Parramatta. I would call this more "annoying" than "disappointing". We played some wonderful footy in the second half and never deserved to lose.

Player of the year: Francis Meli

New Category: Hit of the Year: Meli on Wesser at Ericsson.

roofromoz

First Grade
PANTHERS

Highlight of the year: Getting the minor premiership. :D

Most gutsy win: Brisbane in Round 22. Gower lead from the front, injuries and all.

Best win: Newcastle in Round 19. Came from behind, got a lead, and then managed to shut them out. Showed that we belonged at the top.

Most enjoyable win: Can’t go past Parramatta in Round 26… smash our neighbours on our home turf and get the minor premiership in one hit!

Game that you were not expecting to win, but did: Cowboys in Round 13. They ran away with it in the second half, and we were very lucky to claw back to level the score at full time… and we sunk them in golden point.

Try of the year: Rhys Wesser’s effort against the Bulldogs in Round 16… started deep inside the Bulldogs quarter, and virtually crossed over untouched.

Player of the year: Craig Gower.

Buy of the year: Preston Campbell.

Lowlight of the year: Releasing Scott Sattler. He’ll do good for the Tigers.

Most disappointing loss: Roosters in Round 20. They were just simply too good for us that day. Definitely put us back in our place. But I believe we became a better team for it.

Most frustrating loss: Dragons in Round 21. The video ref had a shocker. I’m not saying that we would have won that game, but it definitely kept us out of it all the same.

Worst performance: Melbourne in Round 2. After that, I thought we were in for yet another long season…

Moron of the year: Phil Gould, after saying that we would finish last! :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
roofromoz said:
Most frustrating loss: Dragons in Round 21. The video ref had a shocker. I’m not saying that we would have won that game, but it definitely kept us out of it all the same.

We could have said the same about the return fixture at Penrith earlier in the year. That's football...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Storm

Highlight of the year: Playing in the finals Agian. :D :) :p

Most gutsy win: The first Sharks game down and out by 2 odd points and come back to win comes close. We had a few shoot outs like that. But the Gutsyest win must be that Parra game at Parra in the wet. With all the injuries......

Best win: Can't name one in particular, Stopping Canberras unbeaten run.... and the two over penrith.

Most enjoyable win: Love beating the Sharks (for obvious reasons) and St George (illawarra) and the top teams of the day.

Game that you were not expecting to win, but did: 'spose the Worriers at Ackland. was out of the country at the time so I can't comment other than not expecting to win it.

Try of the year: Half of Slaters trys would qualify but one of Semi Taduallas were (he hasn't got a side step) just crashed over some poor bastered to score.

Player of the year: Orford for sure.

Put your head down and get on with it Player of the year: Glen Turner.

Lowlight of the year: No decent media couverage again.

Most disappointing loss: Getting pulverised by Souths of all teams.

Most frustrating loss: Manly and both the broncos matches.

Worst performance: Getting pulverised by Souths of all teams. the might be a few third most wrst performances . Daylight is second .

Moron of the year: Willie Leyshon! what a lieing turncoat :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Southern Saint, That was hardly comparable from when we beat use 30-26 then down at WIN, the video ref was shocking and you know it.

Southernsaint

Staff member
pepstar87 said:
Southern Saint, That was hardly comparable from when we beat use 30-26 then down at WIN, the video ref was shocking and you know it.

You think the video ref cost you the game at The Hole, I am quite certain that Joe Montanna was playing for you at Penrith Park & cost us the game (although we played very ordinarilly).

Nothing we can do about it, move along...

Cheers,
Ben S.

roopy

Referee
Most Gutsy Win: A bad thing to say about your own team, but I don't think the Knights played any really gutsy football this year.

Best Win: Broncs at the opening of their new home ground. That win was before SOO, so Broncs were close to full strength and it was the first starting game for what will be a legendary combination - Johns/Kidley.

Most Enjoyable Win: Win over the Warriors without Johns in the side. The Warriors looked awesome for the opening half and we were lucky to keep in the game, but the Knights showed they can play without Johns and put them away in the second half.

Unexpected Win: Warriors without Johns

Your Team's Try of the Year: Buderus to Kidley who put on a Gidley no look flick to Matt Gidley, who then put on a Gidley no look flick to Craig Hall to score in the corner. They could have scored that try with their eyes shut, and just about did.

Most Disappointing Loss: 3 or 4 loses against ordinary teams around the rep season. The Knights would have finished top 4 if not for a punishing rep season (the suspension of Kennedy was adding insult to injury).

Most Annoying Loss: Loss to Canberra in Canberra. The boys ran out to minus 6 degrees temp and were in shock for long enough for Canberra to pinch the game. The next 70 minutes was a good contest, but the game was lost in the first 10.

Player of the year: Andrew Johns got 10 MOTM awards this year, but over the whole season it has to be either Buderus or Abraham, who were both good every game.

millersnose

Post Whore
Sharks

most dissappointing period was between kickoff of the 2003 season until the end off the 2003 season

highlight was the end when it was all over

brook

First Grade
the NRL games rarely mean all that much to me...

Most Gutsy Win: v Newcastle - premier league
nowhere near the best win and against a very average side but missing 11 regular members of our top side and losing the last two via injury by early in the second half (as well as many of our regular second string stand-ins) it was a gutsy effort by a group of mainly kids against a knights team that included a few first graders.

Best Win: three way tie - Balmain v Wests - jersey flegg quarter final (the teams finest performance all year the supposedly superior wests team never had a chance)
Balmain v. Saints - Premier League (once again a team of kids came on top of one of the best teams in the premier league comp including nathan blacklock)
Wests Tigers v Canterbury

Most Enjoyable Win: Which win did you savour the most? knocking wests out of the jersey flegg semi's :) :) :)

Game That You Weren't Expected to Win, But Did: see above, also wests tigers v. bulldogs and brisbane

Your Team's Try of the Year: Balin Cupples for Balmain Premier league v. newcastle - took the ball in his own in goal, dodged several knights defenders to get out, three more to get in the clear and then beat the fullback to run 100m and score under the posts.

Lowlights

Most Disappointing Loss: Wests Tigers v Parra - nothing worse than losing to parra-scum :( , Balmain Premier League v. Souths - everything to play for and they didn't even try

Most Gutwrenching Loss: Balmain v. Canterbury - Jersey Flegg
from 22-0 with 30 minutes to go the team suddenly moved into gear to lead 24-22 only to conceed a try in the last 30 seconds of the game

Jono Russell

Bench
Most Gutsy Win: defeating newcastle with a man down at there home stadium.
Best Win: the second game against dragons where we preety much stuffed up there finals hopes

Most Enjoyable Win: vs newy just watching noddy shut joey down was excelent

Game That You Weren't Expected to Win, But Did: once again vs newy
Your Team's Try of the Year: all three or kimmorleys intercept try's and the one in the first newcasle game where he chiped it over the head of a newy player then passed it off for a brilliant try.

Lowlights: my biggest lowlights of the year was seeing mellor,mckenna,triester and graham go 4 of the best,hardest working players to ever put on a sharks jersey.

Most Disappointing Loss: vs parramatta that was disgracefull

Most Gutwrenching Loss: all of them this year were gut wrenching because i know we could have gorn all the way if anderson would have kept a certain 4 boys in the squad.

Deceptakon

Juniors
Ok, all you raider fans are gonna need everything you have to chuck at the Warriors tonight :D The starting 13 is unchanged from the side that thrashed the Bulldogs last week.
Good luck Raiders!!!

Best win:
Warriors against the Bulldogs last weekend 49 - 22
That game saw the Warriors run rampant. I guess you could say that they couldn't put a foot wrong even if they tried that night. The Warriors game play at times is a little tricky to say the least. The way they throw the ball round is short of miraculous :eek:

Most Gutsyist win:
Warriors V's Roosters 26 - 24
A late try from Francis Meli gave the Warriors the win they needed. The Warriors ran in four tries to the Roosters five. The difference between the teams was Brent Webb's boot.

For the Warriors Clinton Toopi and Richard Villasanti scored tries while Francis Meli dotted down twice.

Webb kicked four conversions and a penalty.

Chris Walker scored two tries for the Roosters, Ryan Cross, Shannon Hegarty and Craig Wing got one each.

Patient as eva........................ :twisted: :D :eek: [/b]

Latest posts