What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on an idea

Quidgybo

Bench
So you're suggesting a team that missed the finals by plenty and a team that has never played a premiership game together are somehow tougher assignments than last year's Grand Finalists? Seriously? That logic didn't seem to stop them playing a trial against the Cowboys last year (coming off their own GF appearance). This line of argument is developing more holes than a British Lions defense!

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
So you're suggesting a team that missed the finals by plenty and a team that has never played a premiership game together are somehow tougher assignments than last year's Grand Finalists? Seriously? That logic didn't seem to stop them playing a trial against the Cowboys last year (coming off their own GF appearance). This line of argument is developing more holes than a British Lions defense!

Leigh.

I aint where they came last year. Reality is QLD clashes are spitefull, doesn't matter which way you put it. I don't want our players to get any unessacary injuries. Titans and Cowboys will be the same IMO.

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Reality is QLD clashes are spitefull, doesn't matter which way you put it. I don't want our players to get any unessacary injuries. Titans and Cowboys will be the same IMO.
Yet the Broncos and Cowboys *do* play trial matches against each other so quite obviously your concern is not shared by the clubs - ie. the ones who actually have a huge financial stake in the whole business. So once again, if the club's themselves don't see pre-season meetings between each other as an unjustifiable risk then why not have the three Qld clubs play each other?

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
why not have the three Qld clubs play each other?

Leigh.

Waste of time and I would rather the three clubs spred the trials around with other clubs in NSW and Melbourne.

The Tank

Bench
FWIW Quidgybo, I think that not only is it a fantastic idea - it's a logical one. I had a similar idea of Queensland Championship when the Titans were announced - but mine was just based on Premiership matches. Yours is much better. RL hardly ever takes advantage of marketing opportunities.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
They'll play trial matches anyway. How is it wasting any more of time?

More chance of injuries in derby's. It is a waste of time as a result. There will only be one result- one team getting uncalled for injuries.

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
More chance of injuries in derby's.
Do you have anything to back that up?

It is a waste of time as a result. There will only be one result- one team getting uncalled for injuries.
Yet the Broncos have played derby trials against the Cowboys. The professionals don't seem to agree with your assessment.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
The professionals don't seem to agree with your assessment.

Leigh.

Professionals don't seem to agree with any of your theorys ever. Lets just agree to disagree as this is the only way to settle it.

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Lets just agree to disagree as this is the only way to settle it.
That's fine, I'm happy to agree to disagree. I've only been trying to find out what is so wrong with the idea. But so far none of the reasons have stood up to any scrutiny.

Leigh

Titanic

First Grade
To the Topic: seaside derby's should then include: Newcastle, Manly, Illawarra and Roosters but not a terrible idea although maybe better suited to the supporters who can have a bit of a surf, some pub games and a chug-a-lug competition as well.

To the Qld tri-series debate: why not just have points awarded during the regular season, when the teams come up against each other, towards a trophy. Country centers have supporters of other teams as well which creates the rivalry that makes rugby league culture what it is.

To bush league promotion: why not divide the state into 3 zones one for each team and have teams from the "bush" play the early game before the Qld Cup or whatever? Although there is certainly a need for visits to country centers, an attraction for the players left behind by talent scouts would be a game in the big smoke each year.