What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 10 for 08/09

I said they were top 10 performances. Nowhere did the thread say top 10 teams.

All things considered, Chel$ki were bank rolled by a billionaire and a world cup winning manager and couldn't do sh*t.

weasel

First Grade
1. FC Barcelona

Scored goals for fun all year, be it in la liga, the champions league or the copa del rey. Few are the teams that can hold their heads up high after playing them this season, and from the six goals they put past their greatest rivals on their own turf, to the confident dismissal of the defending champions to claim the European Cup they were always a joy to watch. Sadly a smear campaign seems to have been led by the unlikely but equally jealous pairing of man utd and chelsea fans to try and diminish their achievements, but six of eight teams that met them on their march to Europe's summit were brushed aside with sheer impudence while the second best team and one of those very victims struggled to assert themselves over the likes of Villarreal, Celtic and Porto. There is really no comparison.

2. Manchester United

Clearly second-best this year, and you can take that as flattery or derision. In praise of them they won Europe's strongest league for the third straight year and claimed a few mickey mouse trophies to boot. There ain't many teams (just one) who are a match for them right now.

3. Chelsea

When you consider Chelsea's season highlights were bringing the game into disrepute both on the field and off it in the champions league semi-final with their cynicism and lack of class, and a consolation trophy against a mediocre Everton, you could argue that other teams could easily take this spot. But I put them ahead of Liverpool on the strength of their performance to knock them out of the Champions League, with one of a rare few impressive performances after their gangbuster start to the season burnt out within the first two or three months.

4. Liverpool

Went trophy-less, but famous thrashings of Manchester United and Real Madrid hint at what might of been if they didn't draw so many games in the EPL, where they only lost two matches the whole season.

5. Wolfsburg

Looked like Barcelona at times in the very entertaining German League, which looks to be rapidly closing the gap with Serie A, as the likes of Bayern, Stuttgart, Werder Bremen and Hamburg all copped hidings. One hopes their attacking trio can stick around at the club for next season so they can prove their class in the Champions League.

6. Inter

Won Serie A in a canter for their fourth straight title, but it should be a massive concern for them that they're carried by one player who now seems to want out. Could well be the end of their dynasty if Zlatan leaves, and, with their European exploits barely worth mentioning during that time, one feels that they haven't quite done enough to be remembered alongside some of the greater Italian club teams of the past.

7. Juventus

While their previously mentioned national counterparts look to be on the wane, this is certainly one club that the other european heavyweights will be wary of when the next champions league season kicks off. Faded in the end domestically, but the most successful club in Serie A flew the flag for Italy with arrogant demolitions of Real Madrid in the group stage, and gave Chelsea a real fight in the knock out rounds.

8. Porto

Regardless of exiting in the quarter-finals they were probably the fourth best team in the Champions League this season. Finished ahead of Arsenal in the group stages and did what Liverpool couldn't do without Gerrard's cheating, namely matching Atletico; indeed they were all over them in Portugal. Manchester United barely scraped by this team, and with two domestic trophies they had a very good year.

9. Bayern Munich

Despite failing to win a trophy, Bayern at their best this season was a sight to behold, and though they didn't walk all over the Bundesliga as expected it's more a testament of that league's growing quality than Bayern's decline. Won a tough Champions League group comfortably and then produced one of the most stunning results in European history smashing 12 goals past Sporting Lisbon in two games. Who knows where to from here. They've already made a few quality signings for the new season but Ribery's potential departure (despite Bayern's continued confidence he will remain) could stall their development.

10. Atletico Madrid

Slumped in the middle of the year when Aguero lost his form and until Forlan found his, but either side of that they were fantastic. In the earlier stages they were lead by Kun, dominating in the league and in Europe. Towards the end Forlan came to the fore, going absolutely goal-crazy in a way you rarely ever see, scoring 20 goals in the last 17 games of the season, including 12 in the last 8 and 7 in the last 4. If they have a good summer they can go further in the Champions League next season.

Honourable Mentions:

AZ Alkmaar

Didn't feature in Europe but turned around a poor 07/08 to finally get the league championship they've been building towards for the last half a decade. One of the feel good stories of the season.

Werder Bremen

A poor league season but still almost walked away with two trophies, contenting themselves with just the German Cup in the end. One feels there might have been a second if not for the absence of their now departed star Diego from the UEFA Cup Final. But with his exit who knows where they'll go from here.

Bordeaux

While reliable first hand sources and my own fleeting exposure to Ligue 1 this season suggests Bordeaux were nothing more than an above average side in a very average year in France (and their performances in Europe certainly don't challenge such an assertion) they deserve a nod for finally ending the reign of Lyon. And won two domestic cups to boot.

Shaktar Donetsk

In truth they were a distant second in Ukraine, and couldn't even finish ahead of Sporting Lisbon in their Champions League group, but they won the UEFA Cup, so there you go.

Unirea Urziceni

Are they the new Romanian League champions or are they not? No one really knows yet while Timisoara await the result of their appeal against the farcical decision to strip them of six league points because they wouldn't change their jersey colour (yes, the same amount of points Porto were stripped for match-fixing last season. And UEFA backed this penalty, what can you say?). With one game left they're four points clear of second place, but it could be cut to two by the time the final matches are played next week.

So to ensure they finish the year as champions they have to beat no less an opponent than Steaua Bucharest, who need to win themselves to ensure they qualify for Europe. They represent a town of just 17,000 people; I don't know for sure but they might well become the smallest region to ever be represented in the Champions League next season.

Genoa

I was originally going to have five honourable mentions, and Genoa was going to be one of them. But then I forgot all about them and added Urziceni. But there's no crime in having six. I could re-ignite the eternal and paradoxical debate by pointing out that while in La Liga Diego Milito could only ever lead Real Zaragoza to relegation, and here in Serie A he's almost led a small club to the Champions League. But that would be too simple. They've really done very well, and it must be devastating to miss out on the CL on head-to-head differential. Certainly Genoa would have benefitted from qualification much more than Fiorentina, especially given the departure of their star striker. I suspect we won't be seeing them in equal fourth again next season, while I have no doubt Viola will be up near there again.

Notable Absentees (On teams other people have included who I feel shouldn't be anywhere near these lists. And here's why):

Milan

Did manage to finish level with Juventus this season, but while the former seems to be slowly rebuilding, Milan's effort felt more like a last hurrah of their current team. That's not to say they'll be back strong next season, but who really knows with Kaka's fate up in the air. They exited Europe with a whimper and while the season ends with a toast to the old champion Maldini, his life time club does not deserve the same ovation.

Arsenal

They were horrible domestically until Arshavin arrived and did just enough in the Champions League until they finally met decent opposition. Barely got past a fading Roma, before sweeping aside a demoralised Villarreal lacking their key player. One feels that they drew the one team they were likely to beat in the quarter-finals and despite Man United fans telling themselves their crushing victory over the Gunners in the semi-final (well, Cristiano's effort more specifically) over-shadowed the absolutely stunning performance of Messi in the Bernabeu a few days earlier, most could see that an Arshavin-less Arsenal was simply not a top four team this year and far too easy prey.

Real Madrid & Sevilla

Well I've lumped these two in the same boat for good reason. I was reading an interesting article on Marca of all places today where they decided to adjust the Spanish League table correcting for referee errors, and while goodness knows how exactly they made such judgements (they didn't bother to explain), it's no surprise that Real Madrid and Sevilla were the two teams who seemed to lose more points than the rest (while Villarreal, Valencia and Atletico Madrid all rose, the latter up to third no less, and Barcelona were deemed to have got everything they deserved this season and stayed exactly as they were).

And I'm sure this doesn't even take into account such ridiculous results as Madrid have a habit for earning, like Getafe for example, where in the second last minute of the game they conceded a penalty to seal their defeat and then in the last minute they scored the winning goal. Not to mention all the times when they were clearly outplayed and still won without a huge slice of luck, just a little slice. Against the likes of Villarreal, and Valencia, and Atletico Madrid (see a pattern here?).

Sevilla, well I'm not so much going to grouch about their astonishing feats of luck. I'm just going to point out that while they puttered along with result after result, they never really played that well this season. Only scored 54 goals, a lot of their wins seemed to be 1-0, and, apart from Valencia when their players weren't getting paid, they were the only team in the higher reaches of the table who seemed to be able to lose at home to, well, crap teams(Racing, Getafe, Betis). They were exposed towards the end there too, when they ran the gauntlet of big teams that the spanish draw so conveniently threw up this year, taking heavy beatings from Valencia, Barcelona and Real Madrid until a surprising away win in Villarreal stopped the rot, and they finished the season by playing a few junk teams again, eeked out a few more dour wins and it was enough to get them into the champions league.

So while the table might tell you otherwise, neither of these teams was anywhere near as good as Atletico this year, who themselves didn't really go as well as they might of. But they went better than these two teams. Believe me, I know these things.

Ridders

Coach
^^ Man speaks the truth. Imo Inter have had a mixed season. Mourinho had a shocker in the transfer market, via his purchase of flops like Quaresma and Mancini. Was Mancini really that bad? Feel for Werder, Diego should never have missed the Uefa Cup Final. In the previous game he received his yellow card (that banned him) essentially for being shoved in the chest and having the audacity to stand his ground. Sometimes refs have to learn to show some more common sense.

In regards to Atletico, makes you wonder how far we could have gone if Aguerro didn't fade like he did. Like you said, Forlan's scoring binge was a sight to behold. Carried this team into that final CL spot. I'm assuming he should have the European Golden Boot wrapped up?

Can't agree with Inter, they have won a 4th straight Serie A title (by virtue of having some of them handed down) after Juve were basically stripped of their entire starting team (which Inter bought their most potent player) and Milan have never really recovered to be the force they were. Inter were nothing more than Alter boys to those two clubs and it showed in Europe that Inter quite overrated.

Can't agree on Chel$ki, either. They spent half of the season playing rubbish football and getting barely passable results.

Everything else, well analysed.

WireMan

Bench
yup, good analysis.

In Chelseas defence (urgh this feels wrong) they were without Essien for a long time though which didn't help them as he is a monster of a player.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
"an Arshavin-less Arsenal was simply not a top four team this year and far too easy prey"

Agreed.

I feel it will be the same for 09/10 unless we make some signings.

Ridders

Coach
yup, good analysis.

In Chelseas defence (urgh this feels wrong) they were without Essien for a long time though which didn't help them as he is a monster of a player.

Liverpool missed Torres for nearly half the season. Imagine how much closer the title race would have been with a fully fit Torres...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Everyone has injury worries. United barely had their full strength back 4 on the park all season. And they missed Ronaldo for a month at the start and Rooney/Ferdinand for a month or so around Jan/Feb.

And Arsenal missed both Walcott and Fabregas for about 2/3 months as well as Gallas/Clichy for the last month or two. So all of the big 4 had injury problems...

It's the clubs that have the depth to deal with the injuries that win trophies.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Everyone has injury worries. United barely had their full strength back 4 on the park all season. And they missed Ronaldo for a month at the start and Rooney/Ferdinand for a month or so around Jan/Feb.

And Arsenal missed both Walcott and Fabregas for about 2/3 months as well as Gallas/Clichy for the last month or two. So all of the big 4 had injury problems...

It's the clubs that have the depth to deal with the injuries that win trophies.

You're forgetting our most important absence: Hargreaves for almost the entire frigging season. But your point is correct. Good teams don't blame injuries for bad results. They get on with it and manufacture good results.

As for weasel's list, apart from the none-too-subtle barbs at United wherever he could stick them in, a decent analysis and hard to argue. ;-)

WireMan

Bench
Trust me, i ain't making excuses for Chelsea. Every club had injuries. Just feel Scolari was getting a beat down so i'd thought i'd stick up for him a bit. :)

WireMan

Bench
You're forgetting our most important absence: Hargreaves for almost the entire frigging season. But your point is correct. Good teams don't blame injuries for bad results. They get on with it and manufacture good results.

As for weasel's list, apart from the none-too-subtle barbs at United wherever he could stick them in, a decent analysis and hard to argue. ;-)

There is talk here that Hargreaves may not be back and his replacement will be De Rossi from Roma. This of course could be rubbish.

WireMan

Bench
Probably, as i said, just a rumour.

Although... Roma failed to get into the Champs league, money talks etc.

Still rubbish though :), thats why i just tagged it onto this thread.

Latest posts