What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 Grand Finals

Jason Maher

Immortal
Fairly simple, what are your 5 favourite Grand Final matches and why?

For me (first Grand Final I watched was 1989):

1) 2010 - St. George Illawarra 32 d Sydney Roosters 8

This is to date the only time I've seen my team win (I grew up an Illawarra Steelers fan), so it's a bit of a no-brainer as #1. I loved the way we ran right over the top of them in the second half after being down 8-6 at half time. I loved Ben Hornby's amazing take when the Roosters looked likely to turn a stack of pressure into a bigger half time lead, a real captain's effort. I loved Dean Young pointing to the badge on his jersey after scoring (it was a dud call against the Roosters, but I'll take it). I loved Sowards two sideline conversions. I loved Nightingale getting clattered late by Minichello and not even caring. I loved Nathan Fien's dummy play for the last try. I loved the fact Morris was in. And I especially loved the flood of tears from Roosters fans afterwards. Perhaps tonight some of them might finally get over it.

2) 1991 - Penrith 19 d Canberra 12

Prior to Super League, I had a big soft spot for the Panthers. I'm also a distant relative of Royce Simmons and was a big fan of him as a player, so I thoroughly enjoyed his fairy tale two-try exit and a fairy tale first Premiership for the Panthers. Loved Roycie's "I'll have a beer with every one of youse" victory speech as well. Was a great game, and Penrith had to beat a very good team to finally win the big dance. And they earned it, with Canberra holding out wave after wave of Penrith attacks, before Brad Izzard finally cracked through. Then Scott Gale produced one of the great boneheaded Grand Final plays with a short dropout that went straight to Mark Geyer, who attracted a couple of defenders and put Simmons over for try #2. Then Alexander converted from the sideline to ice the cake.

3) 1989 - Canberra 19 d Balmain 14

I don't much like the green slime these days, but back then I liked them. Arguably the greatest Grand Final ever. Had everything - great tries, dodgy refereeing, fantastic defence, a great comeback, weird coaching decisions, and Benny Elias hitting the crossbar with what would have been the match winning field goal. And then extra time.

4) 1997 - Newcastle 22 d Manly 16

Another classic. A dominant Manly team that should have won 3 straight but only managed 1 of 3. A Newcastle team that was easy to like when their opponents were Manly. The real Grand Final, not that pretend touch footy one that the donkeys won (after rigging the comp to favour themselves). Possibly the greatest Grand Final play ever from Johns to Albert. Possibly the second greatest by MacDougall on Toovey (still hate the whiney little shit).

5) 2003 - Penrith 18 d Easts 6

For some reason, Minor Premiers Penrith were major underdogs against an admittedly impressive Roosters team. I couldn't understand it at the time. You don't win a Minor Premiership by being crap. The media ran a full silvertails vs fibros campaign in the week leading up, and I suspect most neutrals were on the Panthers bandwagon. A pretty decent game, and I think Luke Priddis and Craig Gower both played the best games of their careers. Of course, no-one will ever forget the chase and tackle by Scott Sattler on Todd Byrne.

STORM.99/07

Bench
99..Storm coming from 14-0 down to beat dragqueens 20-18 in 2nd year of being in NRL in front of 107000 people.

2012 ..Great defensive effort from Storm to beat the dogs.Perfect Storm.

murraymob

Coach
2003 against all odds and tipsters pouring rain the panthers stood tall.And the biggest turning point in any grand final the scott sattler tackle

Kiwi

First Grade
Easy for me in no order 92, 93, 97, 98, 2000 and 06. That's 6 but can't split them

Loudstrat

Coach
81, 82, 83 and 86 obviously.........but my bias aside my top 5 are

5) 91 - saw highlights the other day - a classig gripping match wth so many big names at their best. Geyers reaction for that winning try was absolutely sublime

4) 06 - Despise both sides but geez Melbourne played well in that loss, Lockyers fg superb under pressure

3) 89 - Extra time with a gripping finish

2) 86 - closest ever. Steve Obrien going for the corner - tackled by 7 players. Rare that 2 gun side in a great era meat head on.

1) 97 - Newy's fightback and Albert's try. The Knights led for only 6 seconds and won.

Makes me think of the classic tries too

5) Simmos second 1991, becuse of MG's briliance, and Simmo scoring the only 2 tries all year on that day.

4) Kenny's second 1981 - a dummy that fooled the world.

3) Fui's massive charge in 09 - best front rowers try I have seen

2) Lord Ted's chip and chase in 77

1) Tingha Blacklock in 99 swooping on a Kimmorly kick, and before anyone knew what happened he's performing a corrobboree under the posts.

Diesel

Referee
1997 ARL

I'd say 1989 but was too young to remember, I got into the NRL in 89 but can't remover watching the GF... Sad but I was very young then

Life's Good

Coach
From the grand finals I've seen 2003 was by far the best. Such a high quality brutal game in treacherous conditions.

03 was a ripper of a game that had a bit of everything despite the conditions(Luke Priddis put in one of the great individual performances) BUT I can’t go past 89 as a neutral. The ankle tap on Mick Neil, the FG miss by Benny. The Raiders breaking their duck.
From a personal perspective 2010 trumps them all though.

Latest posts