What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top Eight Prediction

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU has a finals calculator that lets you select the outcome of the final games in the NRL and calculates the table based on that. So, bored in between packing boxes, here's the final ladder I came up with.

(Link: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/static/calculator.asp)

1. Melbourne Storm - 46
2. Canterbury Bulldogs - 40
3. St George/Illawarra Dragons - 36
4. Manly Sea Eagles - 34
5. Brisbane Broncos - 32
6. Newcastle Knights - 32
7. Parramatta Eels - 32
8. Canberra Raiders - 30

9. North Queensland Cowboys - 28
10. Cronulla Sharks - 28
11. New Zealand Warriors - 28

So, obviously even one different result could tip anyone between 7-11 into or out of the top eight. I have us beating Cronulla, Penrith, Sydney, and North Queensland - so I'm being ambitious. The only one I'm genuinely worried about is this weekend. I think we'll be able to beat a Thurston-less Cowboys side, and Penrith/Sydney should both be relatively easy ask. Manly should beat us.

Finals would, in my eyes, play out like this.

Manly would clash with Brisbane in a final reminiscent of the mid nineties, with the Broncos triumphing. Saints would make short work of us (on current form, anyway). Eels to upset the Bulldogs and the Storm to annihilate the Raiders as is traditional. That would mean Newcastle and the Raiders went out, which is fitting, really.

The all Sydney semi final would see Parramatta take on Manly, and then Brisbane taking on the Bulldogs in a 1998 Grand final rematch. I think BK could lift Manly to a win, whilst the Dogs would send Shane Webcke out on a losing note.

Gives us Saints vs. the Bulldogs in what really should have been the Grand Final, whilst Melbourne and Manly clash in the less glamorous of the finals. The fairytale to end for Manly and BK, whilst the Dogs continue to have Saints number. Gives us the Bulldogs vs. Melbourne in the grand final, the two form sides. I'd be praying Melbourne won :lol:

Jono078

Referee
1. Storm - 44
2. Bulldogs - 40
3. Knights - 36
4. Broncos - 34
5. Dragons - 34
6. Eels - 34
7. Sea Eagles - 32
8. Cowboys - 30
--
9. Raiders - 30
10. Sharks - 28
11. Panthers - 26

I really beleive we can and will win our remaining games, Sharks, Manly, Cowboys and Panthers (depending on where they are on the ladder) I see as the biggest threats.

(btw, didnt expect us to finish 3rd :eek:)

Also..

Week 1:
Broncos defeated Dragons
Knights defeated Eels
Bulldogs defeated Sea Eagles
Storm defeated Cowboys

Week 2:
Broncos defeated Eels (eliminated)
Knights defeated Dragons (eliminated)

Week 3:
Knights defeated Bulldogs (eliminated)
Broncos defeated Storm (eliminated)

Grand Final:
Knights v Broncos

Either way, finals should be interesting if we make it :)

Bicey_18

Bench
I think we can beat Manly.. we beat them on their own turf why couldnt we beat them on ours.. hopefully we will be heading into the game on 3 wins on the trot ... Maximum points arent beyond us either :)

Jono078

Referee
Actually there must be something wrong with the calculator, Knights can finish on 34 points maximum, not 36.

antonius

Coach
I think we'll see a Bulldogs v Storm GF.
Pleased to see the Roosters didn't let me down with their efforts this year. On form I really don't see us featuring much in the finals, it would take a huge turn round on our part. Very disapointing given our early season form.

thuganomics

Coach
Just a question to you guys.

If we were to finish in the bottom half of the 8, which one of the likley top 4 teams (Broncos, Storm, Bulldogs, Dragons) would you most like to verse in the first week of the semis?

Misanthrope

Staff member
If we were to finish in the bottom half of the 8, which one of the likley top 4 teams (Broncos, Storm, Bulldogs, Dragons) would you most like to verse in the first week of the semis?

Probably the Broncos. There's too much class at Melbourne and at Saints, the Dogs are a very well oiled unit, but the Broncos have shown they're not infallible.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I did it about a week ago. And I got us finishing fifth and playing the Dragons on a Friday night I think it was. If we get into the finals and are playing half decent footy, we can still give this competition one hell of a shake. I was listening to Billy Slater on the radio tonight and he said that the Knights were the best team he has played this year. He also said that he thinks the Knights are the dark horse for the comp from outside the top four. Interesting comments I think.

northey

First Grade
i did it, mine is just silly. i should have done it properly I think i am bias

1. storm 42
2. dragons 38
3. broncos 36
4. knights 34
5. bulldogs 32
6. cowboys 32
7. manly 30
8. raiders 28

9. sharks 28
10. eels 28
11. panthers
12. warriors 20
13. tigers 20
14. roosters 16
15. bunnies 10

finals week 1
knights def bulldogs
cowboys def broncos
dragons def manly
storm def raiders

finals week 2
cowboys def bulldogs
knights def broncos

finals week 3
knights def dragons
cowboys def storm

grand final

knights v cowboys

:roll: :lol: :clap:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well as funny as this may sound, it is still possible for us to finish in the top four. We win all of our remaining games and the Dragons lose three of theirs, we go into fourth. The Dragons lost last week and might lose this week, so its possible for us to close the gap btwn us and them to two points :D

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I am forever the optimist. Saints lose three, we win all of ours (which could be asking a little too much), we get into the top four :D

I did one of these last week, and tried to be optimistic without being ridiculous.

I can;t remeber the exact layout of my eight, but I know that I had a Bulldogs vs Dragons grand final with us being knocked out the week before the GF by the Doggies.

RABK

Referee
Pipe dreams....we won't be beating a fly on current form come september.

When i see some players pull their fingers out from you know where i'll get excited.

Jono078

Referee
I think come finals, as they say it's a whole new ball game.. We will lift, will be just like the first 4 rounds except the last 4 of the year :D..

Im optimistic about our chances.

I've seen nothing that indicates we are about to run into form, that sad a change only takes a week sometimes, and we all know who needs to fire.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Edited my predictions which changed a couple of spots

Mine is as thus:

1. Melbourne 46
2. Bulldogs 40
3. Broncos 34
4. Knights 34
5. Dragons 32
6. Eels 30
7. Raiders 30
8. Cowboys 28