What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youth comp will be a success: Wilson

[SIZE=-1]http://rabbitohs.nospam2248.com/ind...=modifypost&thread=1195197746&post=1195197746 javascript:doConfirm('Are you sure ...st&thread=1195197746&post=1195197746&page=1')[/SIZE]Youth comp will be a success: Wilson

South Sydney National Youth Competition coach Alan Wilson has called upon Rabbitohs fans to get behind what promises to be a very competitive side in 2008.

The Rabbitohs youth side today took part in a two-day induction camp at the Sydney Football Stadium alongside footballers from the Roosters, the Dragons and the Sharks.

The youngsters heard from NRL chief executive David Gallop and Education and Welfare Officer Jason Stevens, among others, on their roles and responsibilities as rugby league’s up and comers.

“The young players need to learn and understand their responsibilities to South Sydney and to rugby league,” Wilson said.

“It’s a special thing to be playing rugby league at this level and it’s something that players are very lucky to be able to make a living out of. These guys are only at the start of that but without the great sponsors and the great supporters the game has none of it would be possible. The players need to know that they have responsibilities towards the fans and the supporters too, not just for themselves but for future generations too.”

Wilson said the flak the under 20s competition has been copping is unfair and premature.

“For the good of the game we need to give this competition and a chance and then we can review that at the end of 12 months,” he said.

“I’m sure it will be a good thing for the development of the game and it deserves to be given a chance. It will be a really great product I just hope all clubs give it 100 per cent and it can be the best it can be.”

Wilson recently returned to Australia after two years with Super League heavyweights St Helens at Technical Advisor. Before that he spent a year in the NRL marketing department and was the brains behind the highly successful “That’s my Team” campaign.

He spent seven years as assistant coach at Parramatta under Brian Smith from 1998-2004 after retiring in 1996 after an 11-year career. Wilson said he is looking forward to coaching again in Australia.

“I’m still really at the start at the moment and just getting to know the personalities of the boys,” Wilson said.

“The first two weeks have been about getting to know one another, I’m excited to be back and really looking forward to the season ahead.

“It’s a real breeding ground for players of the future and these are the players that are going to be part of the NRL in ’09, ’10. I hope the fans are excited about it and I hope they get out to the games to see the exciting talent that is coming through South Sydney.”

Dave Q

Coach
I'm yet to be sold on this new fangled comp.

But here we are, at the foundation of it.

Leading the game as per usual.

Comes naturally to some ay lads?!

How a person can support any another club is entirely beyond my understanding.

I to have serious doubts about the comp.I dont know why the NRL has this preoccupation with having to change everything every year.

Latest posts