What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You've gotta be me kidding Steve Waugh .....

Blade

Juniors
We don't sledge: Waugh

From correspondents in Bangalore
August 19, 2003

STEVE WAUGH today blamed television replays for placing too much emphasis on sledging and said modern cricket is played in a good spirit.

"There is far too much talk about sledging," said Waugh. "Generally, these days cricket is played in the right spirit and occasionally things do go wrong.

"And when they do go wrong you have 20 or 30 television replays and people come to talk about it," Waugh told the gathering of cricket lovers after delivering a talk on Leading a Winning Team.

Former Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee recently reacted sharply to Indian batting legend Sunil Gavaskar's comments accusing Australia of harming the game's image through their on-field sledging.

Lillee said: "Sledging has gone on since W.G. Grace and it will go on as long as any sport is played, not just cricket. If they think it's too bad, the authorities are there to stop it."

Gavaskar warned that players may come to blows if personal abuse was not stopped immediately.

"Those who are defending sledging are those who practice it," he said, taking a swipe at the Australians.

Waugh said sledging is often "misinterpreted" and there is much "conjecture" about it.

"My definition of sledging is when someone has been giving personal views in a one-on-one situation or a group of individuals against one person. I believe that is sledging," he said.

He said the Australians do not indulge in sledging and it is not acceptable in world cricket.

"Occasionally there are things said on the cricket field and we have examples of it during the last six to 12 months. I am very aware that we do not want that to happen in my side as we play the game hard and fair.

"There are times when an individual gets carried away, but I do think sledging is being spoken about far too much," he said.

Meanwhile, the Australian captain said he admires Shane Warne, currently serving a 12-month doping ban, and hopes he will be back in the team soon.

"We have two world-class bowlers in Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath who both have 400 Test wickets.

"Of course, Shane is having a bit of rest at the moment. He is pretty busy making headlines outside cricket. He is a tremendous player and he will be back," said Waugh.

The skipper said the Australian cricket team always thinks a step ahead of the opposition and is constantly trying to improve.

"The key is the characters we pick in our team. That is important to any organisation following the right direction and the goals we set," he said.

Waugh said the Test series with India scheduled for October next year is a "big challenge" at which his team will play "aggressively".

"I know the Australian players are looking forward to coming to India. The conditions are tough. It is a big challenge to win in India. India is a great side on the home soil," he said.

"There is always a challenge around the corner and that is what motivates us to play well," he added.

"I know when we come to India, it is a great series."

Australia last played in India in 2001 when the hosts won 2-1. Cricket-IND-AUS-sledge

AFP

Agence France-Presse

As reported: NEWS.COM.AU

ozzie

Bench
worst sledges were the WI at their top IMO. We are just babe in arms compared to Viv and lets go out the back tactics. He'd get the craps if you dared talk back to him. A good giver of sledging but a bad one in taking it.

But again - a great cricketer

Trojan Horse

Juniors
I find Waugh's comments hypocritical considering he is among the biggest sledgers in the game. Ask any batsmen who has played with or against him. Plus, the television cameras don't lie.

Desmond Haynes and Gordon Greenidge were the best opening batsmen combination of all time. At least in my era.

I remember once former Aussie WK Rodney Marsh -- during an WWOS cricket commentary -- said their success was due to their subtle, yet evident, sledging abilities as much as their batting finesse. I remeber this very clearly because it surprised me as much then as it does now whenever I think about it.

If this had been mentioned from any other cricketer but RM, I'd have been highly skeptical at the statements authenticity, but having met RM on several ocassions I have very little reason to doubt it.

Steven Waugh -
"My definition of sledging is when someone has been giving personal views in a one-on-one situation or a group of individuals against one person. I believe that is sledging," he said.

That's Steve Waugh's definition of the word "sledging."

Here is The Australian Macquarie Concise Dictionary's definition -

sledge2
// noun 1. a sledge-hammer.
--verb (t) (sledged; sledging) 2. to strike, beat with, or strike down with or as with a sledge-hammer. 3. Cricket (of bowlers and fielders) to abuse and ridicule (the player batting) in order to break their concentration 4. Colloquial to ridicule or criticise. [Middle English slegge, Old English slecg]

midas

Juniors
Geez ,what a lot of old rot!
Bowlers have been informing batsmen of deficiencies in their technique since the game started.
Similarly ,bowlers have always been ready to point out ant physical defects batsmen may have or even any irregularities in their family tree,or any nasty social habits they or their families may posess.
Batsmen have always been prepared to return serve and in the last decade or so we have had fieldsmen joining in.
I think we could do without the fielders as it has historically been a game between bat and ball.
Nevertheless all good fun and I ,ve never known it to interfere with having a drink after the game.(Except in the case of Sri Lankans and South Africans who no one would want to drink with anyway.)
Dunno where that pompous idiot Gavaskar got the idea that Australia were the leaders at this caper-the South Africans are so far in front it,s not funny.

ozzie

Bench
the paki's arent to bad but you never knew what them (and the indians) were saying - but it was obvious it wasn't "how is your mother today mr Marsh" :lol:

Briza

Juniors
As a Bowler, I love sledging the batsmen (scum of the earth) - lol.
And when it's my turn to swing the willow, I expect (and almost always do) received my fair share.

Blade

Juniors
Briza said:
And when it's my turn to swing the willow, I expect (and almost always do) received my fair share.

Swinging Willow?

:shock:....:lol: :lol:

Briza

Juniors
Blade said:
Briza said:

Swinging Willow?

:shock:....:lol: :lol:

Not quite sure by your amusement, although I am glad you found it amusing, as a lower order batsmen ( swinging) is about all I do with the bat :lol: , although I am trying to improve in that area :D

Blade

Juniors
Briza,

My post was no offence to you or your batting abilities.

Just a jee-up towards another member (moderator) here. 8)

Briza

Juniors
Blade said:
Briza,

My post was no offence to you or your batting abilities.

Just a jee-up towards another member (moderator) here. 8)

Blade no offence taken what so ever, I take the piss outta myself enough - lol

midas

Juniors
someone should point out to the Macquarie people that it is not just bowlers and fielders giving it to batters-plenty of batsmen sledge bowlers and fielders.How about S Waugh sledging Heschelle Gibbs after that dropped catch in the World Cup of 1999.

Doctor

Bench
Trojan Horse said:
I find Waugh's comments hypocritical considering he is among the biggest sledgers in the game. Ask any batsmen who has played with or against him. Plus, the television cameras don't lie.

Well his approach always seems to have been "you give as much as you take" - Curtly Ambrose is a prime example - no-one stood up to him until Waugh gave him a verbal blast on the 1995 tour of the Windies. And who has come out on top since then - Waugh.

I think the fellow is the ultimate sporting stoic - his characteristics of ice-cool, yet tough attitude make him the ultimate competitor - that is afterall what we want isn't it? A great cricketer in charge of a great cricket side.

Many people have developed the conscieous or unconscious belief that the Australians invented sledging - you know as well as I do that this is fallacy - yet people continue to wield the axe at Waugh's team because of their success. Their success, in my opinion, is not dependant on sledging - they're darn good cricketers lead by one of Australia's all-time greatest cricketers - he wins matches, he's the most successful captain in Test history - yet you all want to cut him down. :roll:

Briza

Juniors
Excellent post Chook! - there is nothing better than playing under a confident captain, it breeds confidence through the whole team - which is what has happened in the Oz team.

Anonymous

Juniors
Australia is the most powerful cricketing nation in the world. The best the second raters can come up is to cry foul over mere 'words'.

Would they be happy if the Aussies were nice to them on the Cricket pitch? The losers are just having a whinge.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Great post chook, In addition.....

If Australia was 5th best country in cricket , then this wouldnt raise an eyebrow.

The other thing to look at is who is doing the complaining ??? It is in 2 simple categories
1. people who just dont like Steve Waugh (for whatever reason)
2. Wannabes who just cant play Test cricket and blame "sledging " for their performance!!!

Steve Waugh will go down in history as the best statistical captain , and if not the best , the most ruthelss. I am proud he is our Australian captain.

the spoon

Juniors
Slegding is a mental part of the game a couple of words here and there are fine But when the Aussies are losing or another side gets on top of them ie the last test in the windies they do sometimes go on like pork chops and look silly that maybe why people get the ships with them.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
the spoon said:
But when the Aussies are losing or another side gets on top of them ie the last test in the windies they do sometimes go on like pork chops and look silly that maybe why people get the ships with them.

I here ya mate. i get the ships with them all the time :lol: :lol:

PB

Bench
And honestly, having watched the standard of some of our opponents in recent years, could you blame our players for having a chuckle at their batting insufficencies! :lol: :lol: :lol: