What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yuppie selectors snub the westies

Fibroman

First Grade
It has been going on for 43 years. I still remember the days when Brandy and Brad Izzard couldn't get a look in for rep footy.

How Luke Lewis didn't start in the first origin and Michael Jennings didn't get a start in either game just stinks of western suburbs phobia from selectors that pick sides based on a player's ability to sip coffee at Gloria Jeans by the sea side rather than ability.

RHCP

Bench
Anthony Watmough was our best player in Game 3 last year, and selectors were very superstitious about keeping the same backrow. Also one of our, if not the, best in Game 1 this year.

Trent Waterhouse has been picked for both games this year despite doing sh*t all at Origin level besides tackling an unconscious Steve Price.

Jennings isn't in because we needed the two 'best defensive centres in the world~!' playing so we only leaked 38 points.

There's more of a phobia against South Sydney, the Broncos and the Titans than the Panthers if we're going to use that logic.

Last edited:

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Lewis is a myth. I wouldn't pick him at all.

Jennings on the other hand should have been the first bloke picked. The best center NSW have by as far as you can kick a football.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Greg had to wait behind Steve Mortimer and Peter Sterling to be NSW halfback. Maybe you've heard of those two players. When Greg was given his shot in 1989 he blew it. 1990 rolled around and NSW had a new superstar called Ricky Stuart combined well with Laurie Daley. Did pretty well - he won 4/5 series as halfback.

Greg was not denied his chances - even with Ricky Stuart, Geoff Toovey, and Des Hasler they found places for him in the squad through to 91. After his brother in early 92 he never really pushed for rep inclusion bar the super league fiasco.

As if Greg Alexander parralled Ricky Stuart or Peter Sterling. Seriously. Yeah he could play fullback - so could Gary Jack, Ettinghausen and Tim Brasher!

Izzard? Really? When O'Connor was pushed to the wing most origin games because of the depth and quality of NSW, and five eights playing centre - you're seriously complaining no Izzard? Maybe he should made a few less missed tackkles.

Whingy whiney thread with no merit.

typicalfan

Coach
I must concur, Brandy was well and truly shaded by superior halves in his time. He was very talented but never lived up to his ability for long enough.

Luke Lewis was on the bench because Anthony Watmough is better and he is a good utility. Lewis is a very good backrower but guess what, we have many of those.

As for Jennings his form was a steamy pile of you know what and didn't deserve selection in game 1 or 2 and I don't think we should be picking guys based on a game or two of good form that is where we go wrong in the first place.

Mr Saab

Referee
It has been going on for 43 years. I still remember the days when Brandy and Brad Izzard couldn't get a look in for rep footy.

How Luke Lewis didn't start in the first origin and Michael Jennings didn't get a start in either game just stinks of western suburbs phobia from selectors that pick sides based on a player's ability to sip coffee at Gloria Jeans by the sea side rather than ability.

What are you crying about? If i was a panthers fan i would want none of my players associated with this ABSOLUTE debacle that is the NSW Blues. Why would you want Jenning or Coote or Gordon picked for this hack team (that means nothing in game 3) and then risk them being injured and hamper what chance you have at being 3 time premiers? Let them keep picking Dragons players

Springs

First Grade
If Tigers fans remember, around the time Game 1 teams were chosen Tigers had lost 4 in a row and were smashed 50-10 by Souths. Add to this they have failed to make the finals for 4 years, plus your best player is a Kiwi and one of your best forwards is English.
I don't know why Tigers fans think that players like Farah, Lawrence, Heighington and Galloway should all be in the side. I seriously don't know what they have done to deserve it. And Marshall I'm sure would be automatic selection for NSW five-eighth if he was elligible.
And I would have Farah and Galloway in the side, so I'm not just anti-Tigers.

gronkathon

First Grade
Lawrence has been in better form since Game 1 than any centres bar Champion & Jennings who he has been about on par with

If Tigers fans remember, around the time Game 1 teams were chosen Tigers had lost 4 in a row and were smashed 50-10 by Souths. Add to this they have failed to make the finals for 4 years, plus your best player is a Kiwi and one of your best forwards is English.
I don't know why Tigers fans think that players like Farah, Lawrence, Heighington and Galloway should all be in the side. I seriously don't know what they have done to deserve it. And Marshall I'm sure would be automatic selection for NSW five-eighth if he was elligible.
And I would have Farah and Galloway in the side, so I'm not just anti-Tigers.

The Bulldogs on the other hand were in stellar form... Ennis has shown enough during the first two games to warrant selection for another three years.

Springs

First Grade
The Bulldogs on the other hand were in stellar form... Ennis has shown enough during the first two games to warrant selection for another three years.

I do not agree that so many Bulldogs players should be in the side, but they have shown much more last year than the Tigers have this year or any of the four years prior. And as I said, Farah should be in. But if you noticed, Ennis was the popular choice with most fans, not Farah.

And I would have Jennings and Champion in the side I guess. I would rate them before Lawrence.

typicalfan

Coach
Champion was owned by a one legged Inglis on the weekend I can only imagine how much he would be destroyed at origin level.

typicalfan

Coach
Ok then let's keep Beau Scott...
Well the best option is injured. I would have Scott over Champion but we really lack quality right centres. Morris, Jennings and Lawrence are all great on the left. I would have Scott over Idris as well. Not sure where to go to after that to be honest.

gronkathon

First Grade
Lawrence made Scott look as slow and useless as he actually is on Friday night.

Jennings plays either side

Latest posts