What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zaps --> Roosters

Inferno

Coach
FALLEN ex-Sharks CEO Tony Zappia has been thrown a lifeline by the Roosters, whose new coach Brian Smith wants the controversial administrator on board as football manager.

Zappia said Smith had asked if he was interested in resurrecting his career at Bondi in 2010. The development came as Roosters' recruitment boss Peter O'Sullivan confirmed the club was willing to chase another surprise recruit - former Dragons' prop Jason Ryles.

Smith's immediate move to pursue Zappia comes as a shock, given it has been less than three months since the administrator stood down from the helm at Cronulla amid controversy. His demise began after accidentally punching former community relations officer Jenny Hall during a shadow-boxing bout last August.

The incident led to Hall quitting in December, but the real drama began when she released secretly recorded conversations in which Zappia offered to let her spank him.

Zappia has kept a low profile since falling on his sword in June, spending a month in Europe sounding out job opportunities with UK Super League clubs. It's understood he attracted interest from Celtic Crusaders, but would prefer not to move his family from Sydney's southwest.

Smith, who sensationally left Newcastle last month after secretly signing a four-year deal to coach the Roosters, sent Zappia a text message last month about the Tricolours football manager position. Smith has been in Mexico visiting his son, but arrived home last week and began working at the Roosters on Tuesday. He did not return calls and text messages last night.

"Brian made an inquiry, but it hasn't gone any further than that,'' Zappia told The Daily Telegraph. "I'm interested in any opportunities in rugby league, but there's been no further indication as to whether there's a position available.''

The pair worked together at Parramatta for almost a decade, filling the identical positions of coach and football manager, and they remain close friends.

"I haven't heard from Brian since he went overseas,'' Zappia said. "From what I understand the Roosters are restructuring their football department but I don't know any more than that.''

Despite Smith's approach, Roosters CEO Steve Noyce last night said there were no plans to include a football manager in the restructure. "At this stage we are looking at putting more resources into high performance,'' Noyce said.

Noyce said he had been in touch with Zappia, but not to discuss a job at the Roosters. "Zap is a good mate of mine - we went to school together,'' he said.

Smith has already signalled his intention to make wholesale changes, dispensing with long-serving trainer Ronnie Palmer. Zappia's hire would cause controversy but a Sharks' inquiry cleared him of wrongdoing.

NRL boss David Gallop has also given Zappia his blessing to return, after initially suggestion he would "find it very difficult'' to work in rugby league again. At a meeting last month, Gallop offered Zappia a position in PNG.

"That's something I'm thinking about as well, but I still don't have all the details,'' Zappia said. "As I mentioned, I'm open to any opportunities in rugby league.''

The Roosters yesterday signed Raiders' speedster Phil Graham for two seasons, and O'Sullivan confirmed Ryles, currently playing with French Super League outfit Les Catalans, was a possibility.
Link

Quigs

Immortal
Will Reefy Elford let him.

He's got contacts you know.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Surely

Post Whore
Looks like we've taken in it in the clacker again.

Melbourne get to keep their alleged woman beater, Manly can keep theirs, and their alleged rapist. The roosters have gallops blessing to pick up one of our alleged woman beaters, and one of only two internationals we had is playing in france, throw in latu who was arseholed over a cornchip and I'm starting to get really f**ked off.

roboshark

Coach
Its a joke. One minute that f**kwit gallop can't see zaps working again and all of a sudden he is ok with him back. Wot a joke. Sounds like a ploy to me to royallly f**k our season over. I don't trust gallop one bit.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
so that slimy mole Jenny Hall in all her efforts, all she acheived was a payout from the Sharks, then some cash from Today tonight at the expense of the Sharks, then a CEO with plenty of "current salary cap nouse" gets punted, at the expense of the Sharks & we lose our main sponsor, at the expense of the Sharks.
I would like to ask an open question to the anybody at the Sharks;
"Are those 2 low life merkins in Hall & Pembrook banned from entering Sharks premises for life?"

roboshark

Coach
We have been screwed......again. And the league doesn't give a f**k. Something is rotten...is it just obvious to me??? Why isn't anything being said or done

The Popper

Bench
Looks like we've taken in it in the clacker again.
Melbourne get to keep their alleged woman beater, Manly can keep theirs, and their alleged rapist. The roosters have gallops blessing to pick up one of our alleged woman beaters, and one of only two internationals we had is playing in france, throw in latu who was arseholed over a cornchip and I'm starting to get really f**ked off.

Exactly. I've felt that way for months. Our own fault. We handle it one way and others handle it the complete opposite. We pay the piper and others don't. Let's just hope the new broom has swept clean. But on the positive side, we did come across as pure and (self) righteous............and DOORMATS. :crazy: