What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ze war iss over??

Look at your playing roster. Look at your crowd support. The Brumbies have you club over their knee as their spank their backside.

Your club relys on players like McLinden and Drew. Your not goinbg to win a premiership with these guys.

When you compare the raiders of 2003 with the Raiders of 90-95.....your clubs is a shadow of itself. Before the Super league war canberra was THE club. Now its just one club trying to keep up.

So tell me.....how was Super League good for the Canberra Raiders?

AdamH

Juniors
nospam49 said:
Look at your playing roster. Look at your crowd support. The Brumbies have you club over their knee as their spank their backside.

Your club relys on players like McLinden and Drew. Your not goinbg to win a premiership with these guys.

When you compare the raiders of 2003 with the Raiders of 90-95.....your clubs is a shadow of itself. Before the Super league war canberra was THE club. Now its just one club trying to keep up.

hrundi99 has already made some valid points but what you say about the current squad is basically crap. The Raiders are a supreme outfit and the position they finished at shows this.

And who says they won't win a premiership on the back of players such as McLinden. Their whole first grade squad is pretty damn good and their success in the lower divisions shows they've got depth.

Also you cannot compare the Raiders of 2003 with the Raiders of the early ninties. No-one except the Roosters can sustain a squad which had all those superstars today.

I really cannot see how the Raiders are any worse off.

AdamH said:
nospam49 said:

hrundi99 has already made some valid points but what you say about the current squad is basically crap. The Raiders are a supreme outfit and the position they finished at shows this.

And who says they won't win a premiership on the back of players such as McLinden. Their whole first grade squad is pretty damn good and their success in the lower divisions shows they've got depth.

Also you cannot compare the Raiders of 2003 with the Raiders of the early ninties. No-one except the Roosters can sustain a squad which had all those superstars today.

I really cannot see how the Raiders are any worse off.

Before Super League the Raiders were THE club. The best players, a production line of superstars, top coaching, great support......they had it all.

Would you take the situation they are in today ahead of the situation they were in before the SL war?

hrundi99

First Grade
nospam49 said:
Before Super League the Raiders were THE club. The best players, a production line of superstars, top coaching, great support......they had it all.

Would you take the situation they are in today ahead of the situation they were in before the SL war?

In the time since '94, we have had a number of legendary players retire or be forced to leave the club either due to the cap or the prior club management (Meninga, Walters, Daley, Stuart, Mullins, Furner, Clyde, etc).

Clubs evolve. Sometimes they have great eras and sometimes they don't. It happens in virtually every major professional team sport in the world. We are certainly back heading in the right direction due to strong talent scouting and some clever buys, and we are a genuine title threat this year.

The only team in the NRL who have been consistently good for an extended period of time are the Broncos, the evil SL team apparently.

And if you think McLinden can't win a GF, then you need to keep your eyes out next year...

They didnt lose those players all at once.

You think the canbarr of old would have allowed the likes of Stuart, Clyde, Walter, Mullins and co to leave the club. You think they wouldnt have replaced them!

You dont give you club enough credit. Before SL the Radiers had a run of success that even the Broncos would admire. They won a number of Grand Finals with a large turnover of players between title runs.

hrundi99

First Grade
nospam49 said:
They didnt lose those players all at once.

You think the canbarr of old would have allowed the likes of Stuart, Clyde, Walter, Mullins and co to leave the club. You think they wouldnt have replaced them!

You dont give you club enough credit. Before SL the Radiers had a run of success that even the Broncos would admire. They won a number of Grand Finals with a large turnover of players between title runs.

I hate to say it but having supported the club since '82, I truly believe I have a better understanding of their history than you do, but anyway...

1989 - Finished 4th, won Grand Final
1990 - Finished 1st, won Grand Final
1991 - Finished 4th (lost Ferguson, Lazarus)
1992 - Finished 12th (lost O'Sullivan)
1993 - Finished 3rd (lost Belcher)
1994 - Finished 3rd, won Grand Final (lost Meninga, Pongia)
1995 - Finished 2nd (lost Walters, Lomax)
1996 - Finished 6th
1997 - Finished 3rd (SL) (lost Nadruku)
1998 - Finished 7th (lost Stuart, Clyde)
1999 - Finished 9th
2000 - Finished 4th (lost Daley, Furner, Mullins)
2001 - Finished 11th
2002 - Finished 8th
2003 - Finished 4th

As you can see, most often a drop in the results has occured after some significant players have left.

You don't replace the likes of Daley, Furner and Mullins overnight.

Apart from Wiki, Toots, Woolford and Davico, this is a new generation Raiders team.

thickos

First Grade
hrundi is right - this is a new era for the Canberra Raiders. And nospam49, obviously you don't realise that News Ltd's ownership of the Raiders for that tumultuous period through and after the Super League war kept us afloat. For that I am thankful - and once the club was back on their feet ownership was transferred back to the rightful owners - the Canberra District Rugby League.

Besides, that 94 team was the greatest club team of this generation. $3.25m wouldnt buy our backline these days (Mullins, Nagas, Meninga, Wiki, Nadruku, Daley, Stuart). And mate, besides Wiki, those players have gone, moved on. It's now the era of Joel Monaghan and Phil Graham - AND MARK MCLINDEN!

In 1995 Canberra was the best team in the world.

In 2003 they over achieved with a solid forward pack and a simple game plan.

Now Canberra isnt even the best sporting team in the ACT. They find is hard to attract top line players....a problem they didnt have in 1995 when their side was full of internationals.

A couple of Canberra fans here have come to the defence of their clubs and there is nothing wrong with that. But the rest of the people here realize that the Raiders of 2003 are a very different beast to the world beating CLUB thats was like a rep side in the late 80's and early 90's.

Only a fool would claim other wise.

hrundi99

First Grade
nospam49 said:
In 1995 Canberra was the best team in the world.

In 2003 they over achieved with a solid forward pack and a simple game plan.

Now Canberra isnt even the best sporting team in the ACT. They find is hard to attract top line players....a problem they didnt have in 1995 when their side was full of internationals.

A couple of Canberra fans here have come to the defence of their clubs and there is nothing wrong with that. But the rest of the people here realize that the Raiders of 2003 are a very different beast to the world beating CLUB thats was like a rep side in the late 80's and early 90's.

Only a fool would claim other wise.

No Raiders supporter is claiming that.

The 94/95 team was one of the best of any era.

How is comparing that team to the current remotely fair or appropriate?

We don't need to attract topline players as we have plenty of our own and we luckily have the Riverina and surrounding areas to grab talent from. The players we have sourced have filled the gaps we've had (Hindmarsh, Mogg, Drew, O'Hara).

Keep telling yourself that they over-acheived. I predicted them to finish top 6 and make the second round of the finals. This year they'll finish top 4 again and the finals experience they gained bodes well for going deeper into the finals.

hrundi99

First Grade
nospam49 said:
Goodness me. You state a FACT, and some fans just lose it.....

Your argument (as opposed to fact) is deluded and illogical.

I don't recall losing it either.

hrundi99 said:
nospam49 said:
Goodness me. You state a FACT, and some fans just lose it.....

No, deluded and illogical would be saying something like this:

Canberra went into the Super League war and came out of the other side without a worry in the world.

They are just as good as the were in 1995, they are not a great team, a finacually strong team, infact they are one of the premier clubs in the game.

Some fans cant handle the truth when it comes to their own clubs.

You must be at the top of that list! :lol:

In-goal

Bench

I would say it's what you would expect from nospam49, he claims to have good understanding of everyone elses downfalls when truthfully he seems to be deviode buy reason.

92/93 Brisbane were the champions why aren't they now? who's fault is it? that is a LFism if you like.

Why hasn't RL expanded across the globe when it can't get a foothold in other states? yet another Freakism.

Latest posts