What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeb Taia unwanted by the Knights

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Because on his day he is an absolute gun. Gee some people have short memories.
But how long ago was his day???? And he is injured once again and out for the season, another long lay off but as Suity said you wouldn't think they are paying him big money.

True EEL

Bench
Zeb Taia over his neck injury would be good, i think Patterson may be worth a look also, they would both currently push out Lasalo and Horo....as sad as that is to admit

andrew057

First Grade
Apparently the neck injury isnt something you get over. He will have to deal with it the rest of his life and will possibly end his career unfortunately.

caylo

Bench
I would happily go for both Taia and Patterson, if they are on contracts with the knights we may be able to get them on budget(ish) deals.

I would be happy with the additions of Sandow, Roberts, Esi Tonga, Vaivai Patterson and Taia. That would be 5 very accomplished first grade players and a jnr in the areas of the team we are deficient.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Apparently the neck injury isnt something you get over. He will have to deal with it the rest of his life and will possibly end his career unfortunately.
Morro and PJ came to us after serious neck injuries, and gave great service to the Blue and Golds. Still can't believe we let Morro go :crazy:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
one of the stranger decisions we have made in relation to roster. Gave his heart and soul every week and was a great foil for Hindy.
Yep, two of Hindy's best ever yrs was when he had Morro helping him out. We let Morro go and kept Wags and Robbo :crazy:

Wally21

Bench
Yep, two of Hindy's best ever yrs was when he had Morro helping him out. We let Morro go and kept Wags and Robbo :crazy:

I know it's symptomatic of the number of coaches we have had over the last 5 years, but we would have to go close to making some of the worst recruitment decisions over the last 10 years, out of all NRL clubs...

eel01s

Bench
Is Taia due back this year? If he is cleared to play, I would have him back for sure.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I know it's symptomatic of the number of coaches we have had over the last 5 years, but we would have to go close to making some of the worst recruitment decisions over the last 10 years, out of all NRL clubs...
Signing Dykes and McFadden, Cannings,Paul Green,Thorman,Tahu 2nd time around. Letting go I Hindy,Cayless Jr,Morro, Tonga,Hodko,Maloney, Taia.having anything to do with Funch. We could throw in Morts as well. Some good work there, But Hages is at the top of the pops. I mean signing Weller and Oake to big multi year deals in just mind boggling...........

Wally21

Bench
Signing Dykes and McFadden, Cannings,Paul Green,Thorman,Tahu 2nd time around. Letting go I Hindy,Cayless Jr,Morro, Tonga,Hodko,Maloney, Taia.having anything to do with Funch. We could throw in Morts as well. Some good work there, But Hages is at the top of the pops. I mean signing Weller and Oake to big multi year deals in just mind boggling...........

Exactly. there are about another 20 names on each side of the ledger we could add...

Jodeci

Bench
Remember when had Hauraki & Taia come through at the same time and we decided to keep Hauraki and dump Zeb.......what a disaster call that was.

Zeb was offered a 1 million dollar contract from the Knights for 3 and a half years and was promised a stint in 1st grade. So he took it and moved up the F3.

He was looking around at the time and it was an offer he couldn't refuse considering he was living in one of the dodgy apartments at Parra and earning under $200k at the time.

Weller was released by Ando and Ozzie early 2010 as we were over the cap and he has since settled down with Leeds for a 3 yr deal from this year after being the Crusaders best player in 2010

perverse

Referee
Zeb was offered a 1 million dollar contract from the Knights for 3 and a half years and was promised a stint in 1st grade. So he took it and moved up the F3.

He was looking around at the time and it was an offer he couldn't refuse considering he was living in one of the dodgy apartments at Parra and earning under $200k at the time.

Weller was released by Ando and Ozzie early 2010 as we were over the cap and he has since settled down with Leeds for a 3 yr deal from this year after being the Crusaders best player in 2010
lol, you think we're paying Zeb $300k+ a year? get your hand off it, hahaha. he came to Newcastle because you blokes weren't giving him a crack - he was a fringe first grader at best stuck behind Hindmarsh, Mateo and a host of other nuffies like Ben Smith (Zeb played a whopping 6 first grade games in 2 years for you guys!). you're dead set delusional if you think we threw $300k at him. not even in the same ballpark. dead set, where-ever you get your mail from, i'd take it back. sounds like sour grapes from whoever told you that... or they were pulling your leg. hard.

he has been one of our best and courageous forwards for the past 3 years, though. i know with certainty that he is the very first name penciled into the team every single week that he's fit - and has been the only 2nd rower in our team to have a proper mortgage on his jersey and his side of the field.

when in good touch - Zeb is a lethal hard running, ball playing, amazing line running backrower with a heart of gold and a good work ethic. when in bad touch he's still an absolute asset, just not as devastating. have a look over his '09 stats if you get the chance, absolutely phenomenal that year. he's not the kind of forward to stomp over the top of 3 blokes, but he will slice a defensive line open like a tin can more often that not with his excellent angles. he has struggled with injury since... which may be a reason why he's being moved on. if Bennett does move him on, i will be pretty shattered... but you need to break a few eggs to make an omelette. he has to be in my top 3 favourite players at the Knights... and if he is to go anywhere i would probably prefer he go back to the club that developed him. i wouldn't like to see him turn into a mercenary... really i had envisioned him playing in the red and blue until retirement, and up until now he probably had similar ideas.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Perverse, never underestimate what B Smith will pay for players , he has a habit of overpaying for hard workers and I think he was on moee than we all thought possible

Hope he recovers and plays first grade, was always a fave of the fans at parra, then we had Hagan as a coach , who signed Lowrie on close to $200k (goodness gracious)

Noname36

First Grade
Perverse, never underestimate what B Smith will pay for players , he has a habit of overpaying for hard workers and I think he was on moee than we all thought possible

Hope he recovers and plays first grade, was always a fave of the fans at parra, then we had Hagan as a coach , who signed Lowrie on close to $200k (goodness gracious)

Perverse is right, that money suggested before is ludicrous. I know for a fact that when he signed a new extension, he still didn't get that kind of money (he deserved it though), and there's no way that Zeb would have been offered less than his previous contract...so he must have been on a lot less than was suggested before. Saying that though, i wouldn't object to him getting that kind of money. He's worth it.

Whoever negotiated Pato's contract however is an idiot. You guys would be much better going after Zeb than Pato. I used to love Pato, but since all this "Team Mundine" shit began, he just hasn't been the same guy that most of us Knights fans used to love. He's not having a go on the field anymore, and he keeps going against the club when they try and tell him that they don't want influences like Nasser around.

Go for Zeb. Better player, and he wont bring the "team mundine" poison with him.

True EEL

Bench
i would have to agree with perverse....how could Newcastle in their wildest dreams have been paying $330 K per season for a (then) relatively unknown back-rower - albeit with great promise - from Parra???

also agree that he has developed into a very strong footballer though

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
would provide the missing link for our forward pack. This would be a very good pack;

Poore
Keating
Mannah
Taia
Hindmarsh
Matuia (assuming he returns to some type of form)

Bench
Webb
Fui
Shackleton

That pack would give us plenty of go forward, with Matuia and Taia offering some variation in attack and the bench would provide us with some good impact. Add a quick, smart dummy half to the bench and we would have a winner

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Can't understand why Bennett would want Tahu.
well I doubt anyone questions tahus playing ability. He has however been a handfu of the field. my guess is Bennett backs himself to getthrough that, and bring out the great player we al know he can be.

Latest posts