What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zelic peace pact with Farina

GreenGuy

By David Lewis
January 28, 2005

EXILED Socceroo Ned Zelic said yesterday he was feeling "positive" after meeting national team coach Frank Farina face-to-face for the first time in five years to discuss a return from international isolation.

Australian football's equivalent of the Berlin Wall came tumbling down when Farina packed his olive branch and flew to frosty Innsbruck to offer reformed dissident Zelic a pathway to Germany 2006.

According to Zelic, who plays for Wacker Tirol in Austria's first division, only a couple of "minor points" need to be settled before his resurrection can be officially ratified.

An enraged Zelic, 33, retired on the spot after Farina dropped him for a game against Brazil in 1999. But he said yesterday: "We cleared up a few things [at Wednesday's meeting] because there was a lot to be cleared up. Frank talked about the past, the present, the structure of the national team and what the future holds.

"He told me how highly he rated me as a player and we decided to chew over the discussions and get back to each other over the next couple of weeks. I've never had a personal issue with Frank .. we always got on well and there was only ever a sporting difference between us.

"I'm pretty positive about where things are heading. There has to be 100 per cent commitment and trust on both sides and once that's achieved I can't see anything standing in our way.

"The national team has always bee somewhere in back of my mind over the years and those feelings have just got stronger and stronger in recent months."

Zelic has played 33 times for his country and is widely acknowledged - not least by Farina - as in Australia's mensa class of footballing exports.

The one-time midfielder, who these days operates as a a central defender, added: "Even if I do return it won't be for next month's match against South Africa [February 9]. Our winter break in Austria doesn't end until February 19 and we've just got back into training.

"This is such an important decision it can't be rushed just because there's a Socceroos match on."

A veteran of two failed World Cup campaigns, Zelic can almost smell the saurkraut of 2006.

"I've had some massive disappointments and the fact the next World Cup is so close to where I live and play is a factor," he added.

"I missed the second leg against Argentina in 1993 [Australia lost 1-0 in Buenos Aires] through injury and we all remember the nightmare against Iran [in 1997].

"But the real reason I want to come back is that I feel I've never played better and physically I'm in excellent shape.

"I know I have a lot to give.

"I've thought long and hard about this. I want to give myself a chance again."

Zelic also revealed he is close to coming home to play in Australia's new A-League.

"It's certainly something I'm considering very seriously," he said.

"I have a contract in Austria until the end of next season but things can change quickly in football.

"I'm curious about what's happening back home and I think it has every chance of being a success.

"I haven't officially been contacted by any clubs but I'm aware there's been some talk."

The Daily Telegraph

RICHO

Juniors
If Zelic plays in the A-League, there's no way he should be picked for the first choice National team. Plus he's old.

RICHO said:
If Zelic plays in the A-League, there's no way he should be picked for the first choice National team. Plus he's old.

Plus he is still one of the best Aussie players abroad.. If he does play in the A- League he SHOULD be picked for Australia if his form warrants it.

RICHO

Juniors
Anyone over 30 years of age that comes back from Europe to play in the A-League is basically coming home for a retirement package, and should nto be picked for Australia.