What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zero since Sterlo, but here's Chris Sandow

Parra Pride

Coach
843671-chris-sandow.jpg
AT THE mention of his Mum's name, Chris Sandow broke down in tears yesterday.
Parramatta's new recruit points to the tattoo on his right forearm, telling you how it's a big part of the reason he is standing where he is today.

He's proudly wearing the blue and gold jersey Peter Sterling made famous in the 1980s, back before Chris Sandow was even born.

He says he couldn't give a damn if people say the move from South Sydney Rabbitohs to the Parramatta Eels was only ever about money. You get the feeling this 22-year-old father-of-three couldn't care less if he had two bucks in the bank, or two million.

He grew up in the small Queensland Aboriginal community of Cherbourg, 250km north-west of Brisbane, with a population of just over 1000 people.

And when he tells you how his ambition in life was only ever to make his Mum Rhonda proud, tears start rolling down his cheeks.

"It is about my Mum because I am the only child," he explained on his first official day at the Eels.

"My uncle Stafford, he was a good player and there were big hopes for him to become an NRL player ... but not making it torn my Nan apart and it's something I didn't want to do to my Mum.

"Me and my mum have got a really close relationship and that's what I want to do, pay her back."

There was a report in a Sunday newspaper how Sandow got into strife on a recent trip home, where he allegedly came to the defence of his mother.

He said yesterday he hadn't seen the report, and he didn't go into any details.

But he did talk about the "hurdles" he sometimes faces back home.

"There are a lot of people who want to pull you down back there but you have to come over the hurdles and do what's best for you,' he said.

"It's not about money, I just love playing footy. That's why I go out and try and do my best each week.

"Sorry about crying, that's who I am."

He knows there's pressure on him to perform at Parra, given the Eels paid $1.6 million over four years to get him. Throw in the fact Parra hasn't won a comp since 1986, when Sterling was wearing the No. 7.

You point out how that last premiership came three years before Sandow was born. He smiles, telling you how he has three kids of his own these days.

This will be Sandow's fifth season in the top grade.

No wonder he reckons his best is still to come.

"I came down here with a dream to just play one NRL game, you know, I think I have got 82-83 now so I have come a long way," he said.

You ask him if he could improve one thing about his game what would it be?

"Consistency,' he said. "I think that is a big part in my footy, I am hot and cold sometimes but when I'm on, I'm on."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...res-chris-sandow/story-e6frexnr-1226181843050

Here we go..... Typical off season Sterling article. Every year they write the same thing. They'll build him up so they can tear him down.

Gronk

Staff member
the Eels paid $1.6 million over four years to get him
Thank you. Weedler saying on Sunday that we paid over $550K per season was obviously as accurate and the rest of the tripe he writes.

LOL@Souths

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
did we just sign Sandow ?

I guess they are running out of things to write about

What is the issue with him moving for the $$. Doesnt every player take the $$ into consideration?

Imagine if a player has a career ending injury, after deciding to stay with a club for less $$ - the rest of their life, they will be thinking - what if?

I suppose it is OK for other teams like the Dogs to buy the competition, however, not OK for Parra to finaly open the purse strings a little!

League_God

Juniors
I'm extremely happy for you guys. A great signing, I've always loved Parra. I love the style of footy they play. Sandow is a perfect fit for the eels. I always laugh at people who don't rate Sandow. Truth is, if he were Koori (a NSW Aboriginal) he would be the NSW halfback. He plays what's infront of him. He let's the defenders make his decisions. Pearce is the exact opposite, he is so mechanical and does what he thinks SHOULD be done. If parra get some solid go-forward I'm tipping you guys to go very well this year.
Good luck!

Gronk

Staff member
I'm extremely happy for you guys. A great signing, I've always loved Parra. I love the style of footy they play. Sandow is a perfect fit for the eels. I always laugh at people who don't rate Sandow. Truth is, if he were Koori (a NSW Aboriginal) he would be the NSW halfback. He plays what's infront of him. He let's the defenders make his decisions. Pearce is the exact opposite, he is so mechanical and does what he thinks SHOULD be done. If parra get some solid go-forward I'm tipping you guys to go very well this year.
Good luck!

Clearly we have a man here of considerable class and superior knowledge.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Good luck!

not trying to open up a can of worms here....but nsw selectors have been accused of discrimination by the likes of merritt, mundine, peachey etc...citing qlder's stronger track record of selecting indigenous players

fanaticeel

Juniors
Good luck!

What to do....its the anti troll!

But really thanks we are all hoping. It's not going to be hard to top this year though.

Eels Dude

Coach
not trying to open up a can of worms here....but nsw selectors have been accused of discrimination by the likes of merritt, mundine, peachey etc...citing qlder's stronger track record of selecting indigenous players

They were acused by the players themselves (well in Mundine and Merritt's case) because they were unhappy about being overlooked and brought the racsism card in themselves. Don't even know why this has been brought up considering Sandow is a QLDer anyway.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
They were acused by the players themselves (well in Mundine and Merritt's case) because they were unhappy about being overlooked and brought the racsism card in themselves. Don't even know why this has been brought up considering Sandow is a QLDer anyway.

because LG said that sandow would make origin easier if he was a blue citing his aboriginal background, and i disagree

Parra Pride

Coach

I agree, it had nothing to do with players in front of them being much better than they are/were, it was about NSW selectors being racist. :sarcasm:

League_God

Juniors
I am a very proud Aboriginal man and the idea that Mundine, Merritt etc haven't been picked to play for NSW based on their racial background is an absolute crock of shit. Greg Bird, Tom-Leah Royd Lahs, Jamie Soward all blackfellas who have been picked for NSW recently and all in my opinion deserving. Merritt simply doesn't deserve to be selected.
We have fought racism in many, many forms from many different people and governmental bodies however, no player (to my knowledge) has been overlooked for selection due to their Aboriginality.

Colour aside, my point was that if Chris Sandow was from NSW (a koori) instead of QLD (a Murri) he would be more deserving of a NSW jumper than Mitchell Pearce.
Sandow > Pearce. That's all I'm saying.