What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ziggy Safolski Article

Chunky PD

Juniors
The Brisbane Broncos will not be able to keep the secret much longer. Questions are being asked, and sooner rather than later the Broncos management will have to produce a statement. It may have started unraveling in Red Hill two weeks ago, on March 14th, to be exact, when Cyril Connell, the long time Bronco recuitment officer and John Dixon, coach of the Toowoomba Clydesdales (the Broncos feeder club), walked over to the Broncos first grade squad doing their morning stretches at the Red Hill Grounds and motioned to three Broncos forwards to step out of the exercise. The three, all good defenders, were David Stagg, Darren Mapp and Barry Berrigan.

Ensuring the players had finished their warm-ups, Connell and Dixon led the players to the north end of the fields where a large, approximately 20 metre by 10 metre canvass enclosure had been constructed that morning. There had been a good deal of speculation as to what may be ahead of the players for the daily training session.

Standing outside the enclosed area, Connell explained what he wanted. “First of all,” the scout said, “the club’s got kind of a delicate situation here, and it would help if you keep reasonably quiet about it, O.K.?” The three nodded. Connell said, “We’ve got a youngster we’re looking at bringing into grade who has shown a bit of promise. We want to see how they’ll do up against quality defenders. We’ll do this alphabetically. Barry, when we go in there, line up at the 5-yard line and tackle the kid as they run past. That’s all you have to do.”

“Can I lay a proper hit, or do I have to hold back?” Berrigan asked.

Connell produced a dry chuckle. “You can do anything you want.”

Connell called out in the direction of the changing rooms, “Zig, out you come” and a young boy, who looked no older than 16, emerged from the dressing rooms.
He was wearing an oversized t-shirt and shorts with no shoes and was carrying a football in his left hand. He was no bigger than 5’6”, but very solidly built. Berrigan had never seen him before. He had blue eyes, Berrigan remembers, and a pale, youthful face, with facial muscles that were motionless, like a mask.
Connell opened the flap to the enclosure and once inside, the players saw that a small playing field are had been marked out.
The youngster wandered over, before Connell whispered something in his ear and he lined up opposite Berrigan approximately 5 yards away.

Connell leaned over to Dixon and said in a quiet voice, “John, make sure you don’t blink.”

Berrigan had since been persuaded to describe that first confrontation:

“I’m standing in there thinking “why all this bloody secrecy” and then he lifts his leg up behind his ear like an olympic gymnast and balances on his left leg only. I had no idea what was going on, then Cyril yells out “Zig, on my whistle”. Next thing I know, Cyril’s blown the whistle, and this bloke has unfurled his leg and put on the greatest step I’ve ever seen, blown by me and put the ball over the line ten yards behind me. I literally didn’t even move!!”

”I have honestly never seen anything quite like it. Cyril’s calling me over and Staggy and Darren are just standing there with their mouths wide open. I expected to turn and see them laughing at me because I was pretty embarrased, but they were in just as much shock as I was. I never dreamed someone could move that quick and be that flexible. The moves that K and Benji Marshall do are pretty awesome, but this was altogether different – and his acceleration was quicker than anyone at the club. As for tackling him, frankly, I just don’t think it’s humanly possible.”

Both Stagg and Mapp, who followed him into the enclosure, echoed Berrigan’s opinion. When each had done his stint, they emerged without having even laid a hand on the boy.

For good measure, after they had been given a chance individually, Connell ordered all there of them to line up side by side and attempt to tackle the young boy. The outcome, predictably, was much the same. With a couple of swift sidesteps and blinding acceleration he left all thre Broncos lying in his wake and even caused a minor scare in the Broncos camp when Stagg and Mapp collided trying to make the tackle and Mapp suffered a cut to the bridge of his nose and minor concussion.

The phenomenon the three young footballers faced, and about whom only Connell, Dixon, Wayne Bennett, and a few members of the Broncos staff know, is actually a 18-year-old, russian imigrant named Ziggy Safolski. He may well change the course of football history.

The Broncos front office is reluctant to talk about Safolski. The fact is, they know very little about him. He has had no “formal” football career. Most of his life has been spent abroad, including a stint at Harvard University at the age of 15 and 16. Our research has shown that he is the son of Milak and Nadia Safolski of Russian heritage. Milak was a professor of biomechanics and physics at Harvard University for some time after having a short career as a “professional” sprinter. Milak’s dream of winning Olympic gold in the 100m was thwarted when the Soviet Union boycotted the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Milak’s wife, Nadia, was also an olympic aspirant who was foiled by the 1984 boycott. Nadia (nee Skorloni) had the most acclaimed junior gymnastics career in the Soviet Union, but moved to England with Milak after she missed the ’84 olympics and then injury ruled her out of an appearance in Seoul in 1988.
This heritage explains, to some extent – the awesome flexibility and blinding acceleration Ziggy has inherited. It would appear that Milak’s research in biomechanics has also allowed him to “perfect” the side-step that has taken many forms in the past.
The registrar’s office at Harvard will release no information about Safolski except that in the Spring of 2003 he withdrew from the college in midterm. Curiously, Ziggy Safolski’s picture is not in the Harvard yearbook. Nor did he play rugby (league or union) at Harvardaccording to their official records.

Safolski’s entry into the world of football occurred last November in Beaudesert, QLD, where the Broncos chief scout, Connell, was watching the final of a schoolboy touch football carnival. Near the end of the first day, Connell, who was disappointed in what he’d seen to that point – happened to wander by the last game of the day as he returned to his car. He was particularly surprised to see one boy who seemed to be playing in complete school uniform, including hard soled shoes and a shirt and tie. Connell was later to learn that Safolski’s parents had forbid their son from attending the carnival for fear of injury (and it would appear exposing his unworldly talent) but Ziggy could wait no longer. In the 10 minutes that Connell watched Safolski scored 6 tries with his 6 touches of the ball. Connell whisked him away and asked him if he could speak to his parents but as Ziggy wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place, Safolski refused to give any details and ran away, presumably to his home. Not surprisingly, Connell didn’t bother trying to chase him on foot!!!

Over the next three months Connell used a combination of door-knocking and hiring Private Detectives to track down Safolski. He finally found him living in a run-down house just east of Beaudesert. It would appear that Safolski’s father is being pursued by the Russian mafia who understand the enormous money making potential in Ziggy’s career in whatever sport he chooses and have obvious plans to extort Safolski for all he is worth. The family is effectively in hiding.

But Cyril Connell is a very persuasive man. He has managed to convince the Safolski’s to allow their son to play football for 12 months and see where that takes him. Connell’s first step, presumably will be to blood Safolski in the Qld Cup, but from all reports, it will be only a matter of weeks before Safolski will be lining up in the Broncos first grade squad. The obvious position for him is on the wing where Justin Hodges’ form has been patchy to date.
I managed to get a brief conversation with Connell on a number of matters last week and told him I planned to run this story. He discussed it with Wayne Bennett and despite asking me not to, they understood the need for the truth to be told to the Rugby League community.
I said to Connell – “hey Cyril, plenty of great athletes have failed in league before. Can this guy even tackle?” To that, Connell got a glint in his eye and said, “Better than anyone I’ve ever seen. We ran him through a couple of drills with fringe players at the Clydesdales and of the three players he tackled, 2 ended up with broken ribs and the other one is bruised to buggery. Oh, yeah. He CAN tackle.”
Stay tuned League world – Ziggy Safolski is on his way.