What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zimbabwe v Pakistan at Bulawayo, Sep 1-5, 2011

Hallatia

Referee
Zimbots have just completed a successful tour of Bangladesh where they smashed them in the test by 130 runs and easily accounted for them in the ODI series going from 3-0 up to take the series 3-2 after resting players from the dead rubber.

Anyway, playing Pakistand now and doing really well so far, ly had one day completed. Some poor captaincy at the toss sent Zimbabawe into bat. I wouldn't expect Zimbabwe to do much against Pakistan (even though this is quite an inexperienced Pakistani outfit), but they are are actually doing quite well. 245/4 at stumps on day 1. Tino Mawoyo who opened carried his bat through the day and cricinfo tells me faced more than half the deliveries for his unbeaten 82 at stumps.

Zimbabwe currently have insufficient matches for a test ranking, but their rating should only improve for now and I think could be as high as 7th when they become eligible - they will start drop once they get the seventh ranking though, because they won't get so many points for beating rubbish teams.

The Joker

Juniors
Bowled out for 412 with Mawoyo carrying his bat in an effort Jacques Kallis would be proud of scoring 162* from 453 balls. Should be interesting to see how Vitori and Jarvis go against better opposition than Bangladesh on a flat-track. I've got a keen interest in following the underdogs of international cricket.

Hallatia

Referee
Interesting day, Pakistan looked certain to clinch this easily, but some resilience from the Zimbabweans has opened it up a little. A draw would be a fantastic result for them and they are showing really good signs for such an inexperienced team. Mawoyo was very impressive with the bat in the first innings. It took him a while to take a wicket, but Price bowled 24 maidens which is insane. I can't find a maidens stat on cricinfo, but that has to be right up there for most maidens by an individual bowler in an innings. Price finished with figures of 50.1 24 69 2 1.37.

In the second innings, the keeper Taibu has stood up with the bat and one of the tail enders has batted resiliently with him, together they now have an unbeaten 66 run stand with Taibu currently on 58 and Jarvis currently on 20.

It's stumps on day 4, Zimbabwe lead 81 with 2 wickets in hand. If this partnership can hold til lunch, Zimbabwe may just be able to draw which I think would be quite commendable from them.

The Joker

Juniors
I'd say with Pakistian's batsmen, Zimbabwe would have to get to between lunch and tea to feel comfortable for a draw. A very hard task for Jarvis to remain with Taibu for that long despite showing some good grit so far.

Hallatia

Referee
I think they would get a lot of confidence from holding this partnership too lunch and even if they're all out within the first half an hour after lunch I think they may be able to fight out a draw.

Timbo

Staff member
That Vittori looks likely. Saw some of the highlights of the Bangladesh matches - tall, quick and moves off the deck. Could be their next Heath Streak.

In fact, for a country whose future looked bloody bleak 18 odd months ago, they have a great crop of young players there.

Mawoyo, Taylor, C.Ervine, Vittori, Jarvis, Lamb... All these guys could be very successful at the highest level.

The fact that Taylor was appointed captain signalling an end to the racist bullshit that had destroyed the ZCU in the early 2000s (never mind, however, that racist bullshit is still destroying the country) is a sign that cricket Zimbabwe could be on the rebound

African Monkey

First Grade
Vittori and Mawoyo have been a bit of a suprise with their recent success at international level as they both haven't done a lot in the domestic circuit.