What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zimbots - cull them now

Iafeta

Referee
The Zimbabwe crisis

Chingoka and Bvute 'removed from office'

Cricinfo staff

December 2, 2005

Reports are emerging from Zimbabwe that Peter Chingoka, the Zimbabwe Cricket chairman, and Ozias Bvute, the managing director, have disappeared overnight.

The claim was made by Tatenda Taibu in an interview with the BBC. He suggested that Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe's president, had stepped in and had them removed from office.

A source in Harare said that the homes of Chingoka and Bvute were raided by the police at 4am but it was suspected that they had already been tipped off as they were not there.

Clive Field, the players' representative, said that, if true, it would have a "huge impact". He added that "the ICC and the big stakeholders need to get involved and realise they have to do something."

More to follow.

© Cricinfo

--------

That's some freaky sh!t. You know what lengths Mugabe reportedly goes to "remove them from office".

Surely now ICC will say enough is enough; no more test cricket until Mugabe is disposed and a normal democratic process is restored to the country and to the ZCU.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I may have got the complete wrong end of the stick, but I was under the impression that their removal was actually a good thing for Zimbabwe cricket?

Iafeta

Referee
From what's happened Thierry, I'd agree with that.

The problem is, how its perceived to have been done. They've done a runner from their house from the sounds of it they knew what was "coming". From what I hear Mugabe is more a hang first talk later type of guy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
depends how they were removed

its not generally percieved that they would have been voted out democratically, more so physically removed

I don't normally support mixing sports and politics, but something need to be done there

Timbo

Staff member
Now this:

-----------

The Zimbabwe crisis

Bvute and Chingoka still in charge

Cricinfo staff

December 2, 2005

Earlier reports that Peter Chingoka, the Zimbabwe Cricket chairman, and Ozias Bvute, the managing director, had been removed from office have been fervently denied by Bvute himself.

Speaking to Cricinfo, Bvute said that the rumour that his house had been raised by police at 4am was "simply not true" and that, contrary to reports, both he and Chingoka were still in Harare and in full charge of ZC.

The original suggestion that the pair had been removed from office was made by Tatenda Taibu, the former Zimbabwe captain, in an interview with the BBC. He suggested that Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe's president, had stepped in and had them removed from office. "The president said, 'Enough is enough, they had to go'," Taibu claim. "But when they looked for them, they couldn't find them."

Bvute said factions opposed to the ZC board had "found it convenient to tell these malicious stories to discredit us. I was asleep at 4am and left my house at 8am this morning to go to work. I have not been raided and I don't believe anyone has raided Mr Chingoka's house either."

© Cricinfo

-------

*shakes head*

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
With only six members of a national squad of 40 having signed their contracts, Zimbabwe would be putting out a desperately weak side.

and once again we will see the ICC do nothing about it

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah they'll do nothing, I see the government has shafted the ZC board to make sure there's no white fullas running the game (saw it on the news).

Its gone way too far, and for the ICC to continually idily stand by and resist taking action shows how weak and futile our games administration truly is.

Don't forget Asians Iafeta, they kicked out Whites and Asians!

They shouldn't be allowed to play OD1's let alone tests, they aren't good enough!

Timbo

Staff member
They will be expelled this time.

I just saw a report suggesting that they'll have to name a schoolboy XI for the Windies tour as all the senior players have left the country.

It's an incredible shame. At the turn of the century they were developing into one of the best sides in the world, with names like Flower, Whittal, Strang, Streak. Now they're a rabble.

Another report has suggested that their entire domestic competition has collapsed.

The ICC will have no choice but to strip Zimbabwe of ICC member status.

This is a sad day for world cricket.

Timbo

Staff member
Now this...

------------

The Zimbabwe crisis

Zimbabwe players end strike

Cricinfo staff

January 7, 2006

Zimbabwe's players have decided to end their indefinite strike, less than 24 hours after the government appointed an interim board to run the game.

Clive Field, the players' representative, said they were happy to stick around, but were deeply disturbed by the comments made by the government's representative, Brigadier General Gibson Mashingaidze, that they would not mourn the loss of Zimbabwe's Test status were that to happen.

"We did not want to be drawn into his comments, but they are extremely disturbed that that people could be willing to sacrifice the fabric of Zimbabwe cricket. The issue of Test status is a paramount one. They are keen to make it known that we have to preserve that status.

"The players are now waiting to see if they can salvage something from this new board," Field added. "We no longer have issues of government interference, because it's now the case that goernment is in charge."

More to follow.

© Cricinfo

------------

I can't quite see what difference this makes to be honest.

As best as I can figure, their only genuine test player left is Andy Blignaut. Some of the younger guys like Taylor, Ewing, Utseya Panyangara, etc. have potential, but need several years of domestic cricket to refine their games, but they're going to be well and truly in the deep end if their allowed to go on.

As sad as it makes me to say it, I think the ICC must expell them.

SirShire

First Grade
I knew he retired. What's he doing in Banga's?? Will he be eligible for an international position anytime soon? He was a good prospect and Bangladesh would benefit from his skills as a captain and a developing batsmen.

Timbo

Staff member
He'd need to apply for citizenship and he'd then need to wait 4 years or something like that.

However he's not even in the top tier of Bangladesh domestic cricket.